SONY IER-Z1R
May 24, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #15,361 of 15,437
I was going to ask, price aside, which is the better IEM between M9 and U12t for you? I suspect it'll still be the U12t, but possibly depends on preference. They U12t is still the pinnacle of all-BA IEMs for my taste, the most balanced between musical and technical - and excellent at both. And that's from someone who swears by DD bass.
I owned the U12T and would choose the M9 over the U12T any day/every time! The U12T sounds bland, thin, sibilance next to the M9.

The M9 would absolutely destroy the U12T in details (later), imaging, separation, imaging, timbre, image broadness, bass size, cohesion, vocal weight and focus.

With that said, the U12T is no doubt having better resolution, bass speed, soundstage depth and a unique sense of dynamic. Speaking of dynamic, despite being very satisfying, it is at times too much leaving some micro details to be completely masked by that punchy dynamism thats why the M9 pulls out more details to me, everything is simply there, not hidden or masked by anything.

To be honest, the choice heavily depends on personal taste but if what you're looking for are the strength of the M9 then the U12T would not serve you well.

May 24, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #15,362 of 15,437
My custom tip...
20240524_215620.JPG

May 25, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #15,364 of 15,437
I owned the z1r and the Bonneville while having the Volür. I only have the Volür left.

For bass quality and quantity I couldn't really pick a winner between the z1r and the 64 audio. There were differences but they were minor and I could put the same tracks on A and B and couldn't really pick apart of the bass performance of either. The last thing I would say about the Volür, is that the bass leaked into the mids. That was one of their amazing traits.

What kept the Volür in my collection was the rest of the sound signature and overall presentation. I just preferred it overall to the z1r as an all-rounder. The trouble in the Sony was a little unrefined at times and the mids were not recessed but not present enough in certain kinds of music.

The Bonneville and I had a very good honeymoon period. I still think they are very good iems but the bass was definitely not as controlled as the Volür and z1r, And sometimes the mids or the treble could just be a little off. I don't know if it was timbre, I don't know the correct term. So I sold those too.

If I was rich enough to afford the Volür and one of the others I would have kept the z1r.

May 27, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #15,365 of 15,437
For the memory foam folk I'd like to report a game changer. I had some tips that I bought for the Moondrop Variations and used on the Z1R but due to their size, placing them on 2 instead of the usual 1 nozzle placement as seen in the picture.

portrat_z1r.jpg

The comfort is out of this world, it could pass for a custom IEM in terms of fit. And sounds much better than the standard placement as well.

May 27, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #15,366 of 15,437
For the memory foam folk I'd like to report a game changer. I had some tips that I bought for the Moondrop Variations and used on the Z1R but due to their size, placing them on 2 instead of the usual 1 nozzle placement as seen in the picture.

portrat_z1r.jpg

The comfort is out of this world, it could pass for a custom IEM in terms of fit. And sounds much better than the standard placement as well.
Which foams did you grab?

May 27, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #15,367 of 15,437
Which foams did you grab?
Using INAIRS right now. Not that I think they're the best.

I prefer Comply but they don't really work with deep insertion for me. INAIRS have a softer stem.

May 28, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #15,368 of 15,437
Apologies in advance for the ear shot (hopefully not too gory, but I've put it inside a spoiler anyway).

Just wanted to share how Z1R fits me as I think this demonstrates why I think it's perfectly shaped (at least to my ears). This is a relatively deep fit for me too compared to many other IEMs, since I'm using S size Sony tips to get the nozzle right inside the canal. All the other parts of the shell are basically molded to slot into the outer ear anatomy without any pressure points anywhere. I wonder how those who find it uncomfortable are wearing it?

PSX_20240528_120155.jpg

May 28, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #15,369 of 15,437
Apologies in advance for the ear shot (hopefully not too gory, but I've put it inside a spoiler anyway).

Just wanted to share how Z1R fits me as I think this demonstrates why I think it's perfectly shaped (at least to my ears). This is a relatively deep fit for me too compared to many other IEMs, since I'm using S size Sony tips to get the nozzle right inside the canal. All the other parts of the shell are basically molded to slot into the outer ear anatomy without any pressure points anywhere. I wonder how those who find it uncomfortable are wearing it?

PSX_20240528_120155.jpg
The same. I'd assume (almost) everyone wears it that way, if possible.

May 28, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #15,371 of 15,437
Oh you'll be surprised. I've seen people trying to shove most of the shell into their ears!
Most people i talked to have pain issues due to the rear of the IEM.

The airvent part is pointy and hard and if it peaks into your ear, it will hurt after time.

So people usually dont have issues with pain in the ear canal but with the outer shell pointing into the outer ear

May 28, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #15,372 of 15,437
Oh you'll be surprised. I've seen people trying to shove most of the shell into their ears!
If it fits, it fits 🤷‍♂️

May 28, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #15,373 of 15,437
Like a glove...

1000016809.jpg

May 28, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #15,374 of 15,437

PSX_20240528_120155.jpg
Yep that’s how mine sit though possibly slightly deeper as I have huge ear holes and I could use them all day with no discomfort at all like that

May 28, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #15,375 of 15,437
Congrats to the chosen people above! You didn't choose Z1R, it is the Z1R that chose you.

Joke aside, I have a good fit, but not as perfect as you guys. With BSEP, the fitting is much better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back