SONY IER-Z1R
May 23, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #15,346 of 15,434
If you like Mext, then try Mest, its a direct upgrade from Mext. And at the time I was in hard decision to sell M9 or not (because I just bought Mest that time), since I also have M7, so I decided to let go the M9 even though sometimes I still miss them but Mest is great in different direction from M9 (brighter overall, but more technical)
How can it be more technical, if it is brighter overall?

As an musician, i am always confused about how audiophiles use these terms^^

May 23, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #15,347 of 15,434

Soundstage and imaging usually categorized in "technicalities". I compared and ABing them before I sold my M9 (trust me I don't want to but I had to)

Mest is Brighter as overall tuning than M9 because more trebles especially on 6khz to 8khz and the treble extension, and the bass shelf also the M9 is thicker and more mid and upper bass so M9 is overall warmer IEM than Mest, timbre is better with M9

May 23, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #15,348 of 15,434

Most (many) audiophiles equate brightness with more detail and clarity and therefore hear 'brighter' IEMs as more technical. Even Z1R derives its 'technical performance' (like resolution and stage size) from its high level of clarity/treble forwardness/sparkle. That's mainly my understanding of it, others may see it differently.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #15,349 of 15,434
Soundstage and imaging usually categorized in "technicalities". I compared and ABing them before I sold my M9 (trust me I don't want to but I had to)

Mest is Brighter as overall tuning than M9 because more trebles especially on 6khz to 8khz and the treble extension, and the bass shelf also the M9 is thicker and more mid and upper bass so M9 is overall warmer IEM than Mest, timbre is better with M9
I heard the MEST and MEST Mk2 with the Subway to Sally live Concert Nackt II and the clapping of the people and the shouting is in different layers and the soundstage is unrealistic large (i attended the concert, i was in the hall, live, it wasn't as big as these IEM make it)

So for me personally, the bigger soundstage and the stronger imaging is actually worse technicalities because it sounds less than what it is supposed to sound.

In a matter of taste, i can absolutely understand and see why someone would like the MEST (or the U12t or the IER-Z1R) over the IER-M9. But in terms of "Which one sounds more correct", the IER-M9 wins in every single aspect. It sounds more correct in terms of timbre, soundstage, imaging, layering and so on. The soundstage is smaller, but it sounds how it should sound. So for me, that is better technicalities.

May 23, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #15,350 of 15,434
I heard the MEST and MEST Mk2 with the Subway to Sally live Concert Nackt II and the clapping of the people and the shouting is in different layers and the soundstage is unrealistic large (i attended the concert, i was in the hall, live, it wasn't as big as these IEM make it)

So for me personally, the bigger soundstage and the stronger imaging is actually worse technicalities because it sounds less than what it is supposed to sound.

In a matter of taste, i can absolutely understand and see why someone would like the MEST (or the U12t or the IER-Z1R) over the IER-M9. But in terms of "Which one sounds more correct", the IER-M9 wins in every single aspect. It sounds more correct in terms of timbre, soundstage, imaging, layering and so on. The soundstage is smaller, but it sounds how it should sound. So for me, that is better technicalities.

Mest have bigger soundstage and super sharp imaging that the technicalities but if you talk about accuracy, M9 is like studio like presentation, while mest or Z1R soundstage is like live presentation.
Take hotel california as classic and common demo track that lot of people are listening too.

I can see from your perspective, as musician or someone who are working for mixing music the M9 serve as reference IEM, as they created for. M9 tagline is for professional musician, studio monitoring.

While for end user sometimes enjoy the music as end user, as audiophile listener, as audience, sometimes they prefer something more engaging, something more fun therfore lot of "fun" IEMs are created for enjoying the music as fun way, even though they maybe derailed from naturalness.

Cheers!

May 23, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #15,351 of 15,434
If you like Mext, then try Mest, its a direct upgrade from Mext. And at the time I was in hard decision to sell M9 or not (because I just bought Mest that time), since I also have M7, so I decided to let go the M9 even though sometimes I still miss them but Mest is great in different direction from M9 (brighter overall, but more technical)
I did try the Mest (mki, mkii, mkiii, mini) but found the treble a bit more than I like, that's why the Mext stood out, and the M9. Having owned several of their XBA range the IER-Z1R has probably Sony's brightest iem treble presentation, which I am fine with, but as I like a safe all-rounder, I'm aiming for something a tad warmer (or less treble). My music appreciation has matured and broadened over the years, but I still tend to mostly cater for my love of a nice low end, and my occasional guilty pleasure of cranking the volume with certain tracks.

May 23, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #15,352 of 15,434
Mest have bigger soundstage and super sharp imaging that the technicalities but if you talk about accuracy, M9 is like studio like presentation, while mest or Z1R soundstage is like live presentation.
Take hotel california as classic and common demo track that lot of people are listening too.

I can see from your perspective, as musician or someone who are working for mixing music the M9 serve as reference IEM, as they created for. M9 tagline is for professional musician, studio monitoring.

While for end user sometimes enjoy the music as end user, as audiophile listener, as audience, sometimes they prefer something more engaging, something more fun therfore lot of "fun" IEMs are created for enjoying the music as fun way, even though they maybe derailed from naturalness.

Cheers!
Yeah, like we are in the Matrix and we are shamelessly enjoying the steak that is not real, but who cares? we are audiophile :).

May 24, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #15,353 of 15,434
Just got the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX ASMR tips, as I am looking for tips with wax guard now on my expensive IEMs.

Terrible fit for the Z1R. Cannot get a seal even with the largest size. It's alright for shallow but the moment I shove them inside they break seal.

So far, until now AZLA has done nothing but disappoint me with their products. And they aren't exactly the cheapest.

May 24, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #15,354 of 15,434
Just got the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX ASMR tips, as I am looking for tips with wax guard now on my expensive IEMs.

Terrible fit for the Z1R. Cannot get a seal even with the largest size. It's alright for shallow but the moment I shove them inside they break seal.

So far, until now AZLA has done nothing but disappoint me with their products. And they aren't exactly the cheapest.
I am not a AZLA fan but to be fair, the IER-Z1R isn't the easiest In-Ear in terms of eartip choice. Its the spoiled first child that can blame all its siblings when something goes wrong

May 24, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #15,355 of 15,434
I am not a AZLA fan but to be fair, the IER-Z1R isn't the easiest In-Ear in terms of eartip choice. Its the spoiled first child that can blame all its siblings when something goes wrong
That's for sure, but I feel all the IER series require a PhD in tip rolling and insertion depth. It shouldn't have to be like that.

May 24, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #15,356 of 15,434

Strange, on my side, I get some of the best tips results with Sony's ML silicon tips... but I get even some more comfort with MAX ASMR (a bit softer in the ear canal) when they fully are inserted on the nozzle of Z1R (Large Size).. both types of tips offer a perfect seal with very nice ultra lows in my ears.
So, I prefer to use daily the Max ASMR, as I can keep IER-Z1R several hours in my ears without any pain. Though, best comfort is with IER-M9 in my case.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #15,357 of 15,434
That's for sure, but I feel all the IER series require a PhD in tip rolling and insertion depth. It shouldn't have to be like that.
Due to their weight, i had to use them with SS or S (i usually have M/L, depending on Earphone/IEM) to get them deep enough in their to stick in place.

But they still moved which didn't effect the sound but hurt my ear. With S-Size foam they stopped moving, but then i constantly had the feeling of the weight of the earphone in my ear.

After trying a lot of things i was able to make them more comfortable, but they never were really comfortable.

I had an much easier time fitting the XBA-Z5, and that one was not easy to fit either. But i managed it and they were much more comfortable than the IER-Z1R. They are the least comfortable In-Ear i ever had

May 24, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #15,358 of 15,434
As someone form whom Z1R is an easy and perfect fit (only with the 'right' tips of course), I'm amazed how much time people spend trying to get them to fit when they don't. I guess it's probably because they're so good, so when they don't fit it's quite upsetting. My own view is that if an IEM doesn't fit after tip rolling and trying to get your ears to adjust, just move on. It's not worth the angst. Thankfully I've gotten quite good at knowing what will or won't work for my ears pretty quickly.

May 24, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #15,359 of 15,434

For me Z1R fits nicely with almost ever different types of tips I tried. However I still like stock tips for its bass.

May 24, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #15,360 of 15,434
I think the issue is actually that the Z1R fits too well in my case. I wear it so deep you can barely see it.

And the deeper you get it, the more rigid the tip has to be. As otherwise it will bend on itself and lose seal.

But most tips are either too soft, or have this bouncy nature that makes them retract back when you push them deep.

Best silicones for the Z1R so far seem to be EP-EX11 and Final E. Which are great, but now I'm looking for something with wax guard and it seems I'm out of options besides the EP-NI1010.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back