what are u talking about white comes before red

B71BF160-04BC-48D8-992B-ED74D5BC6D09.jpeg
A778C453-C976-4F2D-A649-CB6974C2C4ED.jpeg

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #8,028 of 15,437
ye its the white one I have it on and after the white it goes over to red again

Yes that’s what they describe in the manual that it does at max volume

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #8,029 of 15,437
"pinky white" sounds accurate.

i assumed that's what he had meant, and was just trying to clarify.

full volume would be the last thing you ever heard...
That happened to me more than once with the Hugo when I went from lineout to headphone. Really grilled my ears. I'm not deaf now, but I do have tinnitus. Don't rry this at home, kids.

It makesnme appreciate the "Muting' function on the DMP-Z1, even though it's a bit of PITA. Better safe than sorry. Thank you, Sony.

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #8,030 of 15,437
That happened to me more than once with the Hugo when I went from lineout to headphone. Really grilled my ears. I'm not deaf now, but I do have tinnitus. Don't rry this at home, kids.

It makesnme appreciate the "Muting' function on the DMP-Z1, even though it's a bit of PITA. Better safe than sorry. Thank you, Sony.

You can disable the mute check function in the settings on the DMP-Z1 if you are brave.

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #8,031 of 15,437
You can disable the mute check function in the settings on the DMP-Z1 if you are brave.
Thanks for the tip, I might actually do that. As I said, I appreciate the feature in theory, but it sometimes takes me several attempts to hit the tiny virtual button just right, and it is never turned up to a volume that is even remotely close to the Hugo on lineout (purple) anyway, so there's no real danger for me to fry my ears again.

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #8,032 of 15,437
Thanks for the tip, I might actually do that. As I said, I appreciate the feature in theory, but it sometimes takes me several attempts to hit the tiny virtual button just right, and it is never turned up to a volume that is even remotely close to the Hugo on lineout (purple) anyway, so there's no real danger for me to fry my ears again.

@nanaholic @phonomat what volume do you guys listen to your IER-Z1R’s on your DMP’s? I’m usually between 9-10 o’clock. Am I blasting my ears or is that normal?!

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #8,033 of 15,437
Jun 30, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #8,034 of 15,437
Jun 30, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #8,035 of 15,437
@nanaholic @phonomat what volume do you guys listen to your IER-Z1R’s on your DMP’s? I’m usually between 9-10 o’clock. Am I blasting my ears or is that normal?!
No, that sounds about right. 9 on normal listening, approaching 10 if I really want to blast it. I don't think I could go any higher.
With the MDR-Z1R it's more like 10 normal, 11 in party mode.

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #8,036 of 15,437

https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12sb1

They actually include these little black rubber L shape guides you can run the Sony/Kimber through to make it do an ear-hook shape. Still I never used it as I purchased the cable to simply try after 200 hours of burn in; to see if it was an improvement over stock.

It’s been thought that the Sony/Kimber was actually tailored for the Sony XBA-Z5 and I can confirm it’s a special synergy there (as of course many others can also testify to).

But with the IER-Z1R...no?

For me the stock cable was better. I only spent an afternoon with the Kimber but it was fairly clear to me it was not a union with the IER-Z1R I found pleasing?

The Sony Kimber is OFC and the stock included cables are Silver Coated Copper. Typically ( but not always) pure OFC gets a smoother presentation over the slight detail-treble-boost many times found with Silver Coated Copper.

In my experience the Kimber just didn’t have the coherency, the over-all completeness I found with the stock cable? There was a reverb tone in a song I know which was somehow out of place and wrong; thus I switched back right away.

Though I have to warn you. The Sony aftermarket Kimber-m12sb1 does not come off the IER-Z1R vary easy. It was a huge hassle to get separation on both right and left sides. :frowning2: I found it on sale for about $116 so it was a nice addition to other IEMs I have and does improve sound.

Trying to get a clue as to what the included stock cables do, I have switched them on to other IEMs and there is a clarity boost/ treble boost. The character sounds perfect with the IER-Z1R but maybe too bright with some IEMs which lean on the bright side naturally?

Don’t forget there is also a Silver Coated Copper Sony Aftermarket Cable!

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12nb1

I have it and enjoy it on different IEMs, but due to the Sony/Kimber come-a-part fiasco...........never even tried to join it to the IER-Z1R. Though it’s fairly common on Head-Fi so I’m sure it’s just a matter of time till someone tries it.

I have also been experimenting with M12SB1 and OEM IER Z1R cables on my IER-M7. Pushed well past 200 hrs. on M12SB1. As you said. Its very smooth sounding and it also digs deeper in bass with an added definition, compared to the stock M7 cable. Unfortunately. Wasn't great with my M7 due to the significant taming/dulling of treble, which also isn't the M7 strongest suite. Ultimately sounding very boxed-in, border lining "claustrophobic" with some music. I started listening with Z1R cable last night, and was immediately struck with more forward treble. The recording I was listening to had many hand claps, and their reverberation created a heightened sense of studio space that I wasn't picking with M12SB1.
The first few hours with Z1R cable were a bit rough. Playing the title track from Tool's "Fear Inoculum", sound lacked the coherence with way forward treble and shallow bass pushed way into the background. I had this weird timing illusion, where I felt that top-end and bass were somehow out of sync. I began to think that cable was purposefully tuned to balance the Z1R sound signature and may not work with my lowly M7's.

I let it run overnight and have listened some more this morning. I am happy to say that sound signature changed considerably over the total of 10 or so hours of use. Treble pulled back a fair bit and the sound is much more balanced. CCR's "Bayou Country" may not the best album or great recording, but listening to it felt like I was with the band in the studio.

So, I think the Z1R OEM cable will be the keeper. It's also lighter and more comfortable than M12SB1. The only downside for me is that due to its thickness doesn't easily fit into the M7/M9 carrying case.

Regards

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #8,037 of 15,437
I have also been experimenting with M12SB1 and OEM IER Z1R cables on my IER-M7. Pushed well past 200 hrs. on M12SB1. As you said. Its very smooth sounding and it also digs deeper in bass with an added definition, compared to the stock M7 cable. Unfortunately. Wasn't great with my M7 due to the significant taming/dulling of treble, which also isn't the M7 strongest suite. Ultimately sounding very boxed-in, border lining "claustrophobic" with some music. I started listening with Z1R cable last night, and was immediately struck with more forward treble. The recording I was listening to had many hand claps, and their reverberation created a heightened sense of studio space that I wasn't picking with M12SB1.
The first few hours with Z1R cable were a bit rough. Playing the title track from Tool's "Fear Inoculum", sound lacked the coherence with way forward treble and shallow bass pushed way into the background. I had this weird timing illusion, where I felt that top-end and bass were somehow out of sync. I began to think that cable was purposefully tuned to balance the Z1R sound signature and may not work with my lowly M7's.

I let it run overnight and have listened some more this morning. I am happy to say that sound signature changed considerably over the total of 10 or so hours of use. Treble pulled back a fair bit and the sound is much more balanced. CCR's "Bayou Country" may not the best album or great recording, but listening to it felt like I was with the band in the studio.

So, I think the Z1R OEM cable will be the keeper. It's also lighter and more comfortable than M12SB1. The only downside for me is that due to its thickness doesn't easily fit into the M7/M9 carrying case.

Regards

Yes, I feel the IER-Z1R has a slight brightness? Maybe?

It’s always nice to read about someone discovering the same thing. Funny too, as before the IER-Z1R was for sale we saw these few demo releases that became photographed with the M12SB1 exchanged out for the stock cable. And while Sony has a record with getting the Kimber to perform better than included cables with the MDR-Z1R,Z7 and Z7MK2......many were under the impression that yes, the M12SB1 may be the best way to go with the new IER-Z1R.

I mean why would it be taken out at these rare pre-release sightings if it wasn’t an improvement? But in the end it was not. Lol.

The M12SB1sits in use with the XBA-Z5 as it’s a good match for it.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #8,038 of 15,437
Yes, I feel the IER-Z1R has a slight brightness? Maybe?

It’s always nice to read about someone discovering the same thing. Funny too, as before the IER-Z1R was for sale we saw these few demo releases that became photographed with the M12SB1 exchanged out for the stock cable. And while Sony has a record with getting the Kimber to perform better than included cables with the MDR-Z1R,Z7 and Z7MK2......many were under the impression that yes, the M12SB1 may be the best way to go with the new IER-Z1R.

I mean why would it be taken out at these rare pre-release sightings if it wasn’t an improvement? But in the end it was not. Lol.

The M12SB1sits in use with the XBA-Z5 as it’s a good match for it.

I'm not fortunate enough to experience and compare this with IER-ZR1 headphones. While my impressions with M12SB1 only apply to IER-M7, I wouldn't hesitate to caution anyone purchasing this cable (not before listening) for balanced sounding headphones or headphones that don't extend far in treble region. I could see this cable working well with headphones with upper treble emphasis.

Regards

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #8,040 of 15,437

Regards
Very useful information!
I should be getting my IER-M9 by the end of this week and I got a Z1R stock cable with it as well.
Do you have any impression of the Z1R cable in comparison with the M7 stock cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back