Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jun 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #481 of 4,748

Quote:
The JVC fx700's definitely sound big, like full size headphones to me due to the bigger bass presence and dynamics. They easily project an out of head experience. I think the zo helps the W4 close that gap in regards to those aspects. It adds much more texture to the bass and increases dynamics. It really turns those poodles from well mannered house pets to highly trained ninja attack poodles.

Interesting.

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #482 of 4,748

Quote:
The JVC fx700's definitely sound big, like full size headphones to me due to the bigger bass presence and dynamics. They easily project an out of head experience. I think the zo helps the W4 close that gap in regards to those aspects. It adds much more texture to the bass and increases dynamics. It really turns those poodles from well mannered house pets to highly trained ninja attack poodles.

Please clarify: Would that be one or two poodles on steroids?  :wink:

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #488 of 4,748
Quote:
@Inks, yeah I think sonove is saying he's come to realise the 5.6kHz peak is a "pretty sound" in the EX1k.

I'm trying to figure this all out, I can't seem to correct the harshness of the EX700 using the equalizer, it's still there no matter how much I flatten the 6kHz/9kHz regions ... boosting the upper-mids does sound surprisingly good though!

-shrug-

/kiteki

For a moment I thought you were talking about JVC FX700 there and I was like "What?! I didn't hear any peak at 6/9 kHz with FX700! Must be going deaf...
blink.gif
" lol

Quote:
I can't wait to get my ER-4P !!

Personally, I prefer RE0 v3 and even the v4. The v3 destroys ER4P IMO and beats ER4S too IMO. It will be interesting to hear your opinion.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #489 of 4,748
Lol destroys

Well I have the RE0 (not sure which ver yet, 3 I think) on the way as well, so I'll find out, and see how they both differ from ck10 as well.  I have a good hunch about the ER-4P, but we'll see, I'll quite likely try to get the GR07 at some point as well, so I've gone a full cycle through all the balanced, reference IEM's.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #490 of 4,748
Quote:
Lol destroys

Well I have the RE0 (not sure which ver yet, 3 I think) on the way as well, so I'll find out, and see how they both differ from ck10 as well.  I have a good hunch about the ER-4P, but we'll see, I'll quite likely try to get the GR07 at some point as well, so I've gone a full cycle through all the balanced, reference IEM's.

ER4P really needs an amp to sound good, otherwise they are really dry, too harsh and lack depth and air. ER4S sounds fine unamped though.

Yes, I really think RE0 v3 blows away the ER4P. But the newest v4 doesn't fare as well unfortunately (at least not yet after 20 hours of burn in), although I still prefer it to ER4P. I compared ER4 P and S extensively to DBA-02 and I found the DBA-02 somewhere in between the ER4P and ER4S in overall sound quality. CK10 may fare better, but it's tough to beat ER4S.

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #491 of 4,748
Quote:

ER4P really needs an amp to sound good, otherwise they are really dry, too harsh and lack depth and air. ER4S sounds fine unamped though.

Yes, I really think RE0 v3 blows away the ER4P. But the newest v4 doesn't fare as well unfortunately (at least not yet after 20 hours of burn in), although I still prefer it to ER4P. I compared ER4 P and S extensively to DBA-02 and I found the DBA-02 somewhere in between the ER4P and ER4S in overall sound quality. CK10 may fare better, but it's tough to beat ER4S.

what

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #494 of 4,748
rolleyes.gif
  There is something really wrong here.  Pianist, you should just make a thread called, what I think...  And it would be what you think.  To me ER4P sounds great with certain DAPs.  Certain DAPs have greater amount of power output, and different output impedance.  It is not simple as saying it sounds better amped. I disagree S sounding fine without amp, I really don't get how you arrived at that conclusion.  S has added impedance.  Which means, current to the transducer will be lessened at fixed transducer impedance means less power to the phones.  Therefore P is more efficient.  Sometimes arriving at conclusions by ears maybe quite unreliable.  Have you noticed, IEMs sound better at certain listening sessions, and not so great during others?

And your opinion about Re0 sounding better is merely an opinion.  I disagree.  I think ER4P is the most accurate universal I have ever heard.  After going through many top tier IEMs, and came back to ER4P, and I've noticed how much colorations are many expensive IEMs, and accuracy is lost.  I like analytical and accurate sound, so to me, ER4P is in the top of the chain.

Recently I have noticed my 1964-T has very similar sound signature.  It leads me to believe insertion depth has a bit of weight when it comes to sound presentation.  ER4P's frequency response is measured using a ear simulator.  I think the triple flange and ER4P's deep insertion comes close to custom IEM isolation and insertion.  Also, I don't hear too much difference in 3 drivers versus 1 driver(ER4P).  ER4P is proof that you do not need more than 1 driver to achieve great sound.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back