Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jun 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #496 of 4,748
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
  There is something really wrong here.  Pianist, you should just make a thread called, what I think...  And it would be what you think.  To me ER4P sounds great with certain DAPs.  Certain DAPs have greater amount of power output, and different output impedance.  It is not simple as saying it sounds better amped. I disagree S sounding fine without amp, I really don't get how you arrived at that conclusion.  S has added impedance.  Which means, current to the transducer will be lessened at fixed transducer impedance means less power to the phones.  Therefore P is more efficient.  Sometimes arriving at conclusions by ears maybe quite unreliable.  Have you noticed, IEMs sound better at certain listening sessions, and not so great during others?

And your opinion about Re0 sounding better is merely an opinion.  I disagree.  I think ER4P is the most accurate universal I have ever heard.  After going through many top tier IEMs, and came back to ER4P, and I've noticed how much colorations are many expensive IEMs, and accuracy is lost.  I like analytical and accurate sound, so to me, ER4P is in the top of the chain.

Recently I have noticed my 1964-T has very similar sound signature.  It leads me to believe insertion depth has a bit of weight when it comes to sound presentation.  ER4P's frequency response is measured using a ear simulator.  I think the triple flange and ER4P's deep insertion comes close to custom IEM isolation and insertion.  Also, I don't hear too much difference in 3 drivers versus 1 driver(ER4P).  ER4P is proof that you do not need more than 1 driver to achieve great sound.

Well, and that's merely your opinion. I found ER4P sounding much better when amped or at least out of a reasonably powerful DAP like a J3. The ER4S sounds fine unamped to me even out of Clip as long as the seal is good.

And yes - to my ears RE0 sounds much better than ER4P. But I am talking about RE0 v3 here and the v3 sounds significantly superior to my ears than all other RE0 versions.

Quote:
Perhaps pianist should start a thread called "Pianist's Ultimate Getto [sic] Thread"

I don't get this joke, sorry. Can you explain what it means please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what

What I said. Why?

Quote:
W4 is Maria Callas, EX1000 is Ella Fitzgerald?

And Pianist is probably Groucho Marx.

Who the heck is that?

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #498 of 4,748
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
  There is something really wrong here.  Pianist, you should just make a thread called, what I think...  And it would be what you think.  To me ER4P sounds great with certain DAPs.  Certain DAPs have greater amount of power output, and different output impedance.  It is not simple as saying it sounds better amped. I disagree S sounding fine without amp, I really don't get how you arrived at that conclusion.  S has added impedance.  Which means, current to the transducer will be lessened at fixed transducer impedance means less power to the phones.  Therefore P is more efficient.  Sometimes arriving at conclusions by ears maybe quite unreliable.  Have you noticed, IEMs sound better at certain listening sessions, and not so great during others?

And your opinion about Re0 sounding better is merely an opinion.  I disagree.  I think ER4P is the most accurate universal I have ever heard.  After going through many top tier IEMs, and came back to ER4P, and I've noticed how much colorations are many expensive IEMs, and accuracy is lost.  I like analytical and accurate sound, so to me, ER4P is in the top of the chain.

Recently I have noticed my 1964-T has very similar sound signature.  It leads me to believe insertion depth has a bit of weight when it comes to sound presentation.  ER4P's frequency response is measured using a ear simulator.  I think the triple flange and ER4P's deep insertion comes close to custom IEM isolation and insertion.  Also, I don't hear too much difference in 3 drivers versus 1 driver(ER4P).  ER4P is proof that you do not need more than 1 driver to achieve great sound.

I am sorry, but I find this offensive. I should just start a thread like this? What about others - are you implying that there are facts in a forum like this and some people know these facts?

On this forum everybody thinks and nobody knows anything. It's all subjective. Ideally, everybody should start each impression or review thread with an "IMO" or "I think," but of course that's not necessary because we all know that everything we write here is just our opinions.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #499 of 4,748
Pianist, the problem is that you're mostly talking in superlatives and absolutes. One phone "absolutely destroys" another one, it's the "best ever", and so on. The next week you find something else, and the aforementioned phone is "the worst ever" in your opinion, "completely destroyed" by the next best thing that tickled your fancy. Your posts only make sense to you, they're not helping anyone, especially noobs to this site. Seasoned posters only laugh at your ramblings anyways.

Maybe you should try to think before you post. There are no absolutes - ever - and you clearly seem to perceive most any phone way different than the majority of people, proclaiming your current state of mind loudly and with authority. Which is total crap, since - as said before - there are no absolutes, and you definitely hear things way different than most other people.

I had you on my ignore list for over a year already, but since your posts do get quoted by other people, I still have to read your outrageous nonsense. Ok, I'm done with un-ignoring your drivel. Bye.

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #501 of 4,748

Quote:

Seems like I finally solved the mystery.

The EX700 harshness wasn't in 6kHz or 9khz, it's in 1kHz, my Teclast T51 useless looking "user eq" finally came to good use, since you can control 1kHz and 6kHz (and 60Hz if you want some extra umph).

Using Shure Olive tips (decored, size S), the Line-out on T51, and the following eq settings, I've finally eliminated the harshness, and enjoying increased clarity and soundstage, a real kick-ass sound, very happy with my portable rig now, you can't adjust the volume on the LO but it's at a perfect listening level (for me at least), and now I think I can finally appreciate the praised Texas Instruments OPA2604 chip. -smile-

Edit: I just compared a few songs, volume matched, like this one "Bjork - homogenic live - pluto.flac" with the HO vs LO, both on user eq, confirming the LO has at least 10~15% better soundstage, and slightly cleaner sound. [well, on the ex700 at least]

Edit: Ok the volume is pretty loud on some songs, just warning anyone with a T51 or EX700 if they want to try this, you might need some kind of portable amp between the LO and the EX700 if you're not fond of high-ish volumes like I am.
If anyone does end up trying it, you can use one of the chinese flac songs that are included per default, they sound really terrific! - I just hope you perceive the sound in the same way I do, peace.

/kiteki

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #502 of 4,748
Quote:
Pianist, the problem is that you're mostly talking in superlatives and absolutes. One phone "absolutely destroys" another one, it's the "best ever", and so on. The next week you find something else, and the aforementioned phone is "the worst ever" in your opinion, "completely destroyed" by the next best thing that tickled your fancy. Your posts only make sense to you, they're not helping anyone, especially noobs to this site. Seasoned posters only laugh at your ramblings anyways.

Maybe you should try to think before you post. There are no absolutes - ever - and you clearly seem to perceive most any phone way different than the majority of people, proclaiming your current state of mind loudly and with authority. Which is total crap, since - as said before - there are no absolutes, and you definitely hear things way different than most other people.

I had you on my ignore list for over a year already, but since your posts do get quoted by other people, I still have to read your outrageous nonsense. Ok, I'm done with un-ignoring your drivel. Bye.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59743 "True to the standard Etymotic house sound, the MC5 suck every last bit of excitement, emotion, and musicality out of the sound. They make everything sound dull, lifeless, and boring. Everything about the MC5 is mediocre. To add insult to injury, the MC5 are some of the absolutely quietest IEMs I ever heard. This means, they're absolutely unusable with players like the Sansa Clip+ and similar..."

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #504 of 4,748
Well, I'm on Pianist's side, yeah I can't comprehend how he think ER-4P needs an amp and the ER-4S doesn't, that doesn't make any sense, at least not scientifically, but I think dfkt definitely talks in absolutes and superlatives, like Phonak PFE sounds identical to W4, and Cowon Mach3Bass is the cream of the crop in bass enhancement technology, you know, sometimes I think he does his reviews while drinking tequila and watching my little pony on TV.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #505 of 4,748
Quote:
Well, I'm on Pianist's side, yeah I can't comprehend how he think ER-4P needs an amp and the ER-4S doesn't, that doesn't make any sense, at least not scientifically, but I think dfkt definitely talks in absolutes and superlatives, like Phonak PFE sounds identical to W4, and Cowon Mach3Bass is the cream of the crop in bass enhancement technology, you know, sometimes I think he does his reviews while drinking tequila and watching my little pony on TV.

Actually, it does make scientific sense. I am not sure if I can find the proof right now, but lower impedance headphones are actually harder to drive properly then higher impedance ones. The lower impedance puts more strain on the amp and increases distortion. In really good DAPs and better sources, the amps may be good enough to drive low impedance headphones well, but in sources with inferior amps, the higher impedance phones may actually sound cleaner even though they may be low on bass and lacking in some other areas. It's a trade off really, but higher impedance phones can sound better than lower impedance ones with average DAPs aka unamped, and ER4S sounding better than ER4P out of a Clip is one such case IMO. The ER4S simply sounds cleaner than ER4P out of the Clip with less grain and a more even frequency response in the upper frequencies. It does lack some bass compared to ER4P when both are unamped out of the same source, but the bass is still acceptable to me on the ER4S unamped and I place higher value on good, clean highs than bass quantity.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #506 of 4,748
Well... maybe you shouldn't have listened to dfkt and bought a clip+ then?

Here's some more science for you, good things don't come in small packages.

Have you seen the inside of a T51? it's crammed full of chips, I don't know what they all do, but I know they're all doing something the clip+ isn't. =)

When I compare the RE0v3 and ER-4PT I'll use a good amp/good DAP, just to get that out of the way.  I won't be able to leave impressions until late July or August though, going overseas and stuff until then.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #507 of 4,748
Low impedance wants more current.

High impedance wants more voltage.

32 ohms seems like the 'normal' value for IEMs running from DAPs.  Neither high nor low.  I'd consider 20ohm and below to be on the 'low' side.  50+ to star being on the higher side.  

All this babbling also discounts sensitivity though the two are and aren't related depending on whether you feel amping=gain and nothing more.

Without further listening I could not say whether amping would add driver control or driver color to the ER4P.  I've only owned the 4S as my sessions w/ the 4P were unfavorable.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #508 of 4,748
Hm, I may as well buy the extra impedance cable then, according to Etymotic, that's the only difference there is between the 4P and 4S anyway!

Oh and, if anyone wants to sell a Vsonic GR07, shoot me a PM, thanks.  I want to satisfy my desire to experience the single BA (ety), dual BA(ck10), dynamic(re0), and cellulose(gr07) of the reference, balanced, studio-quality IEM's out there.  AFAIK they are all the best, in their respective driver categories.

Edit: add liquid crystal to that list (ex800).

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #509 of 4,748
Quote:
Hm, I may as well buy the extra impedance cable then, according to Etymotic, that's the only difference there is between the 4P and 4S anyway!

Oh and, if anyone wants to sell a Vsonic GR07, shoot me a PM, thanks.  I want to satisfy my desire to experience the single BA (ety), dual BA(ck10), dynamic(re0), and cellulose(gr07) of the reference, balanced, studio-quality IEM's out there.  AFAIK they are all the best, in their respective driver categories.

Well, my RE0 v4 seems to getting better and better and isn't really that far behind the v3 anymore in direct AB comparison. And I must say that compared to all other dynamics I heard (IE8, IE7, FX700, RE262, RE252, RE1, RE0 v2) RE0 v3 and v4 are the most balanced, accurate and my favorite dynamic IEMs overall and probably the IEMs out of which I got the most listening enjoyment.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #510 of 4,748
At low impedance, the load draws more current.  At high impedance, draws less current.  Relativity of impedance depends on the how much power can be transfered to the load.  Stating high or low is meaningless.  Sensitivity is related to current and voltage through the load.  Adding more impedance to the path lowers the current, so the headphones are getting less power.  Power transfer depends on the ouput impedance.  Impedance adaptor adds to output impedance. 

Quote:
Low impedance wants more current.

High impedance wants more voltage.

32 ohms seems like the 'normal' value for IEMs running from DAPs.  Neither high nor low.  I'd consider 20ohm and below to be on the 'low' side.  50+ to star being on the higher side.  

All this babbling also discounts sensitivity though the two are and aren't related depending on whether you feel amping=gain and nothing more.

Without further listening I could not say whether amping would add driver control or driver color to the ER4P.  I've only owned the 4S as my sessions w/ the 4P were unfavorable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back