Sennheiser HD439 review
Nov 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #34 of 167
Quote:
the bass might not impactful like on basshead cans (M80)
am i correct?

I dont think that the M80 form V-moda are a bassheads cans, there are a little emphazise in the low frequencies but nothing exaggerated. I Will have the m80 in 1 week, if you want i will tell you my impressions and a comparison against the HD439.

With the hd439 im very happy with those, because i like the warm cans and for my ears those are balanced. Also the comfort for me is top notch.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #35 of 167
yes, hd439 offers great comfort, and an astonishing soundstage for a close can. right now i like them as much as the zx700, although they have less isolation than the latter. i am really tempted to buy the hd449 also just for fun.

last but not least the sony mdr-v55 seems to be another contender with more of a v-shape. some guys here take them over the hd439.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #36 of 167
Just wanted to add:

For those who want more bass out of these, try this very easy mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/sennheiser-hd4-8-modding-for-newbies

It really enhances the bass without drowning out the other frequencies. I recommend covering the middle and "back" holes, for those who've read it already.

I also bought pleather ear cushions for these, and found that it also enhances the bass and improves isolation, but constricts the soundstage.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 167
Quote:
 I dont think that the M80 form V-moda are a bassheads cans, there are a little emphazise in the low frequencies but nothing exaggerated. I Will have the m80 in 1 week, if you want i will tell you my impressions and a comparison against the HD439.

With the hd439 im very happy with those, because i like the warm cans and for my ears those are balanced. Also the comfort for me is top notch.

yes, want to hear that
usually sennheiser had warm sound signature

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #38 of 167
Hi,

Thanks for the review. I was seriously considering these after I couldn't fix the cable on my HD448 (if anyone has some suggestions for fixing cables, I'm all ears), but after trying them in the store today, I was quite disappointed. The sound was noticeably muffled, almost like toy headphones, and the distinction was even greater in comparison to the HD558 and Momentum. Although the bass of the HD 439 was much more distinct and prominent compared to the other two mentioned, its clarity was much worse. Because of the cord issues with my HD448 I thought that the HD439 with its removable cords was the perfect solution, but honestly after today's listen I'd rather take a risk with headphones that have cords attached if it means having to compromising sound. I'm looking into HD449 now. I heard the clarity is comparable to that in the HD448, but has a better bass. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks a lot.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #39 of 167
Hi,

Thanks for the review. I was seriously considering these after I couldn't fix the cable on my HD448 (if anyone has some suggestions for fixing cables, I'm all ears), but after trying them in the store today, I was quite disappointed. The sound was noticeably muffled, almost like toy headphones, and the distinction was even greater in comparison to the HD558 and Momentum. Although the bass of the HD 439 was much more distinct and prominent compared to the other two mentioned, its clarity was much worse. Because of the cord issues with my HD448 I thought that the HD439 with its removable cords was the perfect solution, but honestly after today's listen I'd rather take a risk with headphones that have cords attached if it means having to compromising sound. I'm looking into HD449 now. I heard the clarity is comparable to that in the HD448, but has a better bass. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks a lot.

Can you test the headphones with your own player? Sometimes the stores make prominent the bass and muddies the sound ( because to the vast majority of people like muddy sound and big bass)

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #41 of 167
Hi Juan1894 - I didn't know that, thank for the info. I'll go back again today and see if it's possible.

And I agree with sofastreamer about a more detailed comparison between 439 and 449.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #42 of 167
Quote:

yes, want to hear that
usually sennheiser had warm sound signature

Ok with the V-Modas M80 in my hands, i can make a comparison.

Yeah, the m80 is warm, like the hd439, but there are more more clarity for me in the v-Modas. The Sennheisers are by far (For me), between both, the most comfortable headphones that i ever used. The highs are recessed but not as the Hd439, the mids in the v-modas are better too, and the bass is more punchy and very VERY well extended ( To get very well extended bass, the cans should be fit correctly).  The comfort is a  con, out of the box, after burn in i have no idea. 

Pd: The style is unique in its class!

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #43 of 167
Hi - So I've yet to find a store that allows me to play the headphones on my source, but I did try the HD439s in other stores and they sounded noticeably better compared to my first experience. I think OP was right when he said that the first store may have turned up the bass to show this feature of the 439s. So at first it sounded like a toy, very muffled and far away but with very nice bass, and later it sounded a lot more balanced.

The trouble is that they have these out along with the 558s and the Momentums. Not really a fair comparison for the 439s is it? You're happy with the sound, then you try the open headphones, and the closed Momentums and it's hard not to notice a difference.

I'm very curious about how much of a difference portable amps/DACs will make. I've noticed varying differences just in changing MP3 to Wave files. I'm also very curious about the 'burn over time' that people talk about. The implication is that for some reason the headphones sound better once they're worked in, although I don't understand why. I had a pair of 448s but the chord broke (my fault) before I got a chance to really notice this difference after prolonged use. Although they were light on bass, I did love their crisp, balanced sound. Thanks for listening.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #44 of 167
Hi All,

I have only just bought a pair of these and so my review below should be viewd in the light that they won't have burnt in yet.

They are VERY comfy and really easy to have on your head in the office all day. However they aren't the best sound quality - having a slightly muffled sound out of the box. But they are the most balanced in the Senheisser HD4xx range.
The next headphone up, the HD449 has a MUCH better soundstage and MUCH more clarity right out of the box. However, they have a slightly less comfy ear pads (pleather?) and low end bass which is a little too grunty for my taste (although would be good if you like 'Beats' type headphones).

I bought these for the office, for use with a Rega Ear headphone amp and Pure I-20 dac for use with my IpodTouch and I am pretty happy but my perfect office headphone would be the HD449 with quieter bass and velour ear pads. THEY would be AMAZING!

Compromise is ok sometimes :)

PS To reply to SCOP's post above, a headphone amp makes a HUGE HUGE difference. Really truly amazing difference. I thought that the DAC in the IpodTouch was naff, but it turns out that its the amp instead! Please note though that this is a general comment based on experience with all sorts of headphones on my DAC/Ipod/Amp combo. The headphone amp is being repaired at the mo, so I will be able to give you a more HD439 centric review soon.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #45 of 167
Quote:
Hi All,

I have only just bought a pair of these and so my review below should be viewd in the light that they won't have burnt in yet.

They are VERY comfy and really easy to have on your head in the office all day. However they aren't the best sound quality - having a slightly muffled sound out of the box. But they are the most balanced in the Senheisser HD4xx range.
The next headphone up, the HD449 has a MUCH better soundstage and MUCH more clarity right out of the box. However, they have a slightly less comfy ear pads (pleather?) and low end bass which is a little too grunty for my taste (although would be good if you like 'Beats' type headphones).

I bought these for the office, for use with a Rega Ear headphone amp and Pure I-20 dac for use with my IpodTouch and I am pretty happy but my perfect office headphone would be the HD449 with quieter bass and velour ear pads. THEY would be AMAZING!

Compromise is ok sometimes :)

PS To reply to SCOP's post above, a headphone amp makes a HUGE HUGE difference. Really truly amazing difference. I thought that the DAC in the IpodTouch was naff, but it turns out that its the amp instead! Please note though that this is a general comment based on experience with all sorts of headphones on my DAC/Ipod/Amp combo. The headphone amp is being repaired at the mo, so I will be able to give you a more HD439 centric review soon.

Good take on them.  All the 400 series you can swap pads. The 419/ 438/39 Velours fit on all the models, perfectly.  So take a 439 pad and put it on a 449.
Myself prefer the 439.  My simple take, the 419 is the bassy version, even tho it is very dark( Classic Senn Veil) The 439 is more Mid forward, The 449 more Treble forward.
That's my easy way to label them. Give your 439 some time and it really does open up nicely. I'm not big on the whole "burn in" thing but they really do start sounding pretty good. Give it a few days of regular listening!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back