Sennheiser HD439 review
Jan 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #62 of 167
Grabbed two pairs of these, one for me and one for a friend, for $30 each on a refurb deal from Amazon, and my friend and I are both really digging them. A bit on the muddy side, a little dark but they have great forward, lush vocals and a surprisingly good soundstage with natural separation for the $100 range. For $30 I wouldn't dare ask for more, they are basically a more exaggerated version of the tonal balance I personally refer.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #64 of 167
I always like Sennheiser and already have a HD650 which I love but I am also looking for closed CAN in the Sennheiser range that design for HiFi not on the go purpose. The HD280/380 Pro are design for studio so I suppose they are less fun.

The 2 series are not over the hear except HD201 which I love too. 4 series seems to aim for on to go?

What choice do I have unless I pick the 4 series.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #65 of 167
Quote:
I always like Sennheiser and already have a HD650 which I love but I am also looking for closed CAN in the Sennheiser range that design for HiFi not on the go purpose. The HD280/380 Pro are design for studio so I suppose they are less fun.

The 2 series are not over the hear except HD201 which I love too. 4 series seems to aim for on to go?

What choice do I have unless I pick the 4 series.

For closed, the 400 series is about it.  The 280 Horrible!!!  The 380 sounds weird and the comfort is bad, for me way to much clamping.
For the 400 series it goes like this:
The 419 are the Darkest sounding (Warmest) Most Bass, Sound sig reminds me of the PX100.  Great comfort-Velour pads!!
The 439-Is more Mid Focal (Slightly Warm) Bass is about equal to the 419 in impact but it's a better texture/decay.  Same Great Comfort-Velour pads
The 449 is more Treble Focal (Luke Warm) The less Bass of the bunch but the Mid & Treble detail is the best of the bunch, Soundstage as well. It's Wider and has more Depth.  Treble can be hot on some tracks, at least to me.  Same Great Comfort-Cheap fake leather pads, Can be changed to the 419/439 velour.

The sweet spot really is the 439, It has a better balance, Stock velours, and Removable cables, One 4ft, One 10ft.
If the 449 was priced better it might be the better buy, But coming in at around $120 you can get a Refurb 518 for $70 or a Refurb 558 for $110-120.  And both of the phones are way ahead sound wise.
 So it really depends on what you want, Darker 419, or the same Bass but a " Cleaner sound" 439.
Refurb 439's are going for $50 here in the US and the 419's have been selling in the $30 range!!!

Here's a pic of me and the 419's...Note I'm a some what big guy!!!  6' 1"  210lbs...  So that will give you kinda the size!!! (Of the Phones-Easy Ladies!!!)

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #68 of 167
+1

if you crank up the volume to like 80-85% the headphones can't handle it. that's if you like to listen to very loud music. i always stay around 60-75% volume which is enough for me.

tried it while playing I'm A Flirt by R.Kelly. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #70 of 167
That's the thing with the 439, It really doesn't have enough Air to really shine. It will distort.  The answer to this believe it or not, is to do the Bass mod.  The same one used for the HD428.  I recommend just opening one hole in the " Tape" more then one is overkill IMO.  With one hole open it makes the Bass hit harder and it's tighter as well.  Also this all but removes the problem with distortion.
It allows the drivers to get rid of the extra pressure from inside the back driver housing.  It really makes the drivers have more room to Breathe.

You can see in this pic, there is a black piece of tape on the driver housing.  Under the tape is ports (Three holes) You can use a sharp tip of a pen or something to locate the center whole. Then use a exacto knife and gently score out the tape between holes 2 & 3.  Then just pull out the little center piece exposing the center hole.  Put everything back together and you are good to go.
This is very simple and even someone without major skills can do this mod.  Makes a big difference!!

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #71 of 167
Quote:
That's the thing with the 439, It really doesn't have enough Air to really shine. It will distort.  The answer to this believe it or not, is to do the Bass mod.  The same one used for the HD428.  I recommend just opening one hole in the " Tape" more then one is overkill IMO.  With one hole open it makes the Bass hit harder and it's tighter as well.  Also this all but removes the problem with distortion.
It allows the drivers to get rid of the extra pressure from inside the back driver housing.  It really makes the drivers have more room to Breathe.

You can see in this pic, there is a black piece of tape on the driver housing.  Under the tape is ports (Three holes) You can use a sharp tip of a pen or something to locate the center whole. Then use a exacto knife and gently score out the tape between holes 2 & 3.  Then just pull out the little center piece exposing the center hole.  Put everything back together and you are good to go.
This is very simple and even someone without major skills can do this mod.  Makes a big difference!!

thanks for the tip! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #72 of 167
maybe i will try that tonight, if i can manage to open the cups.

edit: ok, finally i located the 4 screws under grey foam and could do the mod. now lets see...

2nd edit: baaaassssss whaaaa, awesome sonic bliss lay round here for months unused, and now this tiny cut out hole makes this cheapo that aaawwweeesooommmeee, thank you.

btw, i hope i did the right thing: i cut out the fabric that was covering the middle of that three holes, right?

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #73 of 167
I have had these for two days - and maybe I have not let them burn in enough (have had 10-15 hours), but I just have not developed any love for these.  I really want to because, as I have stated in other threads, someone used their employee discount @ BB to get these for me, so I paid only $42 for them; for that price, I figure they are worth a try, especially with the removable cord.  Yet, they are not working for me.  I love the PX 100s, and years ago when I bought those, my preference was bright leaning.  I cannot stand thumping bass, but I have noticed over the past few weeks that I am developing a better appreciation for my HD 238 - which are more bass-heavy than the 100s, but are a lot more quiet.

With the 439 - not only do I find the bass lacking, but sometimes the highs have a shrill-like essence (do not know the proper term)  that literally hurts my ears.  I listen primarily to R/B - and smooth and Latin Jazz.  Last night they did well with some Boney James - but they are not doing Faith Evans justice.  So, I am sitting here at work trying to decide if I need to give these a little more time - or if I should just go back to BB and pick up the 558s for $95 or so - hoping that bass is better represented and the highs are smoother.  I would love to try the 598s, but BB does not carry them.

Suggestions?

Edit -

Nearly 48 hours later.... Wow .  These really are starting to sound quite nice to me.  I have decided to keep them, and I hope they improve a bit more.  The sound has very much improved with my Fuze and Macbook!

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #75 of 167
Hi guys
I bought a 439's at last and have some little problem with bass....I read a lot of reviews in headfi or diffrent places and thus of my searching this problem proper with AMP or apple product(ipad.ipod or...)...!!!
I dont know it's realy or not?!?!

I have a sony walkman and when i use it I feeling something is not on own place....maybe for bass response or something else ...!!!!!
before i had bought 439,i have a pionner Se-mj31 ( that's awesome) but its broken and when i use it with that walkman the pionner's getting alive..! but on this headphone don't make strong bass or strong sound!! The 439 have pretty good sound quality but i listtenig to the electronic music and this genre of music want extended bass response!!!
what am i doing for make it the same of my little babe(pionner) "strong base response" ?!?!

Some forum wrote " it's okay after burn-in (~20hours) listening or play pink noise ( whats pink noise?!?! 

plz some body help me....i realy wnat getting out of this trouble!!!!

TNX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back