Schiit LYR + LCD-2
Dec 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #46 of 78
Many of us feel that the Lyr w/stock tubes (particularly the JJ's) is quite flat. Requiring some tube rolling. Don't hesitate on asking any questions you have
in regards to tube rolling, we all started out fresh at one time. Anddd enjoy the ride! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #47 of 78
Quote:
Many of us feel that the Lyr w/stock tubes (particularly the JJ's) is quite flat. Requiring some tube rolling. Don't hesitate on asking any questions you have
in regards to tube rolling, we all started out fresh at one time. Anddd enjoy the ride! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Greatly appreciate any help. I wouldn't mind any recommendations for a warmer tube than the stock JJ's. Are there trusted online retailers that sell tubes reliably? I ask but keep getting recommended to Ebay, which I don't have much confidence in.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #48 of 78
Quote:
Thanks! Greatly appreciate any help. I wouldn't mind any recommendations for a warmer tube than the stock JJ's. Are there trusted online retailers that sell tubes reliably? I ask but keep getting recommended to Ebay, which I don't have much confidence in.

There are many.

Tubemonger
Brent Jessee
Upscale Audio

Just to name a few. There are are beginnings of reliable eBay seller recommendations, etc.

Lurk the thread a bit.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #50 of 78
Quote:
paradoxper, the Upscale Audio link seems to be broken. That link definitely didn't take me to anything audio related. 
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL! Very early morning. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #51 of 78
Quote:
There are many.

Tubemonger
Brent Jessee
Upscale Audio

Just to name a few. There are are beginnings of reliable eBay seller recommendations, etc.

Lurk the thread a bit.

Thanks paradoxper!
Much appreciated. Now as for actual tube recommendations, do you recommend think the Tesla E88CC 6922 would be much different from what I have already? Should I look into the Siemen's, Mullards, or Amperex? Or should I look into a different type of tube altogether to accomplish a warmer sound?
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #52 of 78
Quote:
Thanks paradoxper!
Much appreciated. Now as for actual tube recommendations, do you recommend think the Tesla E88CC 6922 would be much different from what I have already? Should I look into the Siemen's, Mullards, or Amperex? Or should I look into a different type of tube altogether to accomplish a warmer sound?
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

It depends on how much you'd actually like to get into tube rolling.

Also, what headphones will you be using and what are your preferences.

Not to mention budget....

...And lastly, we should take this discussion to the Lyr thread, where it's more appropriate
and you'd yield even more unsolicited advice. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #53 of 78
Yet another victim......I mean new tube roller to the Lyr congrats!  See you on the rolling thread.  Just a personal take, if you're looking for warmth, you'll do yourself a favor looking at the Mullards cv2492/cv2493.  Happy spending....I mean rolling.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:
It depends on how much you'd actually like to get into tube rolling.

Also, what headphones will you be using and what are your preferences.

Not to mention budget....

...And lastly, we should take this discussion to the Lyr thread, where it's more appropriate
and you'd yield even more unsolicited advice. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sounds good. Thanks again!

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:
The soundstage issue on the 6s is a result of being underpowered. I would be willing to submit that the majority of those who have heard the 6s have heard them underpowered. I am a proponent of speaker amps for the 6s. There are some owners using 300+wpc. I use 125 wpc (approx. 18wpc@50ohms). Using a quality older speaker amp is a lot cheaper than what these headphone amps are charging and won't deliver the current needed for this headspeaker. The problem with trying to review the 6s are that they sound really good with adequate power. Those who have gotten to this level are satisfied with it's performance. Get the speaker amp pigtail and see what a difference quality power can do to these great headphones. The benefit of the extra power is the reserves needed when the 6s start performing at moderate listening levels. Not that you will use all that power at normal listening levels as the amps have a quiet noise floor and dynamic clarity is excellent. But I have found myself turning it up because of how good they sound. Not loud but full and lively.
Getting away from the 6s, the 500s also preform better on a speaker amp but will do a little better on a headphone amp than the 6s. Both will stall the vast majority of amps designed for typical dynamic hps.
I will throw in the BDA-1 on the LCD-2. The ultra detailed performance brings the "darkness" out of the shade for a very nice paring.

Hello,

I'm on the Lyr / Tube Rolling thread.
I'm new.  I have a Lyr with vintage Amprex tubes, a Bifrost and Senn HD650 cans.

I'm looking to add another set of cans and my mind was pretty well made up to add the Audeze LCD2.
Then I found this thread and comments on the HE-6

What's you opinion of this?
I have a Jolida SJ302a tube amp collecting dust.   It uses EL34's as drivers 75WPC.  They are recent vintage Svetlana.
How would that work with the HE-6 ?
Until reading this thread I was going to sell it.....

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #56 of 78
Audeze is not very accommodating.  I wanted to drive over and listen to their product since I live 20 miles away.
After all they sell direct to the public.

I sent two emails to their published address.  
After 3 days without a response, I called.   The receptionist summarily denied my request.

I have to factor this into my purchase decision.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #57 of 78
least they could've done was find you a dealer close by that has them on display. That experience kind of angers me for such niche, expensive products. i think i may reconsider my LCD-3 purchase now as well.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #58 of 78
Quote:
least they could've done was find you a dealer close by that has them on display. That experience kind of angers me for such niche, expensive products. i think i may reconsider my LCD-3 purchase now as well.

The receptionist said it was due to "insurance".  I'm not visiting a steel mill.
If you buy them online from Audeze direct you can return them within 30 Days.  WITH a 15% Restock Fee.

The nearest dealer is an hour away and I can only visit by appointment.  I don't want to waste their time
because I'd like to by them online while I can still save the $80 

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #60 of 78
The LCD2.2s sound amazing out of a Lyr with Amerperex orange globe A-frames (or the Stock GEs for that matter).  The HD650s are beautiful with the Lyr, but the LCD2.2s are a significant step up and worth every penny.  Audeze has a great record of standing by their products and offers a three-year warranty.  Most of the products we discuss on headfi are nearly impossible to audition without going to a meet or purchasing.  Their liability insurance may not cover the public visiting, so when you bliss out listening to the LCDs and trip down the stairs--it doesn't take out the company. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back