Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
May 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #466 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone noticed a lack of bass with low impedance phones? If I use my 325i's with the MKIVse (6h30p/m8100) I notice a lack of mid-bass + low-bass. This is very easily noticable when I switch between my Zero's amp (627+1364) to my MKIVse, there really is alot of bass missing. Offcourse could change to some more 'bass-heavy' tubes, but I don't want to, because the tubes sound great with my sextett and K601, not lacking bass at all. I tried changing the dipswitches, but besides a change in volume, there is nothing happening that I hear. Any idea's??

There are so many variables, I'm not sure one idea would fit most of them. The question that doesn't get asked, is: "What amount of bass, was intended during the recording?" Folks in Asia believe we westerner's like too much bass. I'll even admit that I like bass very much.
smily_headphones1.gif
I do however, have my own "reality" check for this syndrome. I use my MKV as a "standard" for how much bass is intended. So, I'll A-B tubes in my MKIVse with the MKV, to determine where I stand.
smily_headphones1.gif
It isn't fool proof, but better than nothing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pick one dynamic reference track, that you know like the back of your hand. Use it to determine what is going on between the different headphones. It has been my observation, that the higher quality the headphones are, the higher the impedance is, generally. There are exceptions, but only a few. A true lack of proper bass in lower impedance headphones, would be a signal to me that they just can't reproduce proper bass as well as the higher impedance headphones can. YMMV and IMHO for sure, but you may find this to be "not so far off track" when you do some more evaluating.

May 31, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #467 of 847
Quote:

Wow, the MKIVse also is an amazing pre-amp. My speakers have never sounded this good, just wow. Anybody else had this experience?

Read my post two up from yours! It's an outstanding pre-amp, I love the thing.

May 31, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #468 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are so many variables, I'm not sure one idea would fit most of them. The question that doesn't get asked, is: "What amount of bass, was intended during the recording?" Folks in Asia believe we westerner's like too much bass. I'll even admit that I like bass very much.
smily_headphones1.gif
I do however, have my own "reality" check for this syndrome. I use my MKV as a "standard" for how much bass is intended. So, I'll A-B tubes in my MKIVse with the MKV, to determine where I stand.
smily_headphones1.gif
It isn't fool proof, but better than nothing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pick one dynamic reference track, that you know like the back of your hand. Use it to determine what is going on between the different headphones. It has been my observation, that the higher quality the headphones are, the higher the impedance is, generally. There are exceptions, but only a few. A true lack of proper bass in lower impedance headphones, would be a signal to me that they just can't reproduce proper bass as well as the higher impedance headphones can. YMMV and IMHO for sure, but you may find this to be "not so far off track" when you do some more evaluating.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...r-325i-330397/

May 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #469 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been my observation, that the higher quality the headphones are, the higher the impedance is, generally. There are exceptions, but only a few. A true lack of proper bass in lower impedance headphones, would be a signal to me that they just can't reproduce proper bass as well as the higher impedance headphones can.

I think we need to send you pairs of:
- Audio Technica L3000 [48ohm]
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro [80ohm version]
- Denon D5000 [25ohm]
- Grado GS1000 [32ohm]
- Grado HP1000 [40ohm]
- Grado RS1 [32ohm]
- Sony Qualia 010 [70ohm]
- Ultrasone Edition 9 [30ohm]

.. etc etc. A few of those are definitely known for their bass, as well (L3000, Ed9, dt770, etc). Maybe all these and the other high-end grados are the exception
wink.gif
Anyways, the point is that there are bass-light and bass-heavy phones on both ends of the impedance spectrum, with a few specific examples of the low-impedance end listed above. I don't think there's enough evidence to support a general claim about correlation between high-impedance and bass reproduction, but maybe there is and I've just not studied enough.

Sorry, I just thought that statement was a bit odd, even with the 'generally' and 'there are exceptions' thrown in. I'm not attacking ya in any way
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #470 of 847
Quote:

Has anyone noticed a lack of bass with low impedance phones? If I use my 325i's with the MKIVse (6h30p/m8100) I notice a lack of mid-bass + low-bass. This is very easily noticable when I switch between my Zero's amp (627+1364) to my MKIVse, there really is alot of bass missing. Offcourse could change to some more 'bass-heavy' tubes, but I don't want to, because the tubes sound great with my sextett and K601, not lacking bass at all. I tried changing the dipswitches, but besides a change in volume, there is nothing happening that I hear. Any idea's??

I always did find the bottom end kind of missing/lacking when I listen through the LD MK IV SE.
frown.gif

May 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #471 of 847
Well it was only with the grado's, my sextetts definetly don't lack bass haha
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, since I woodied my 325i's the bass is excellent, no more complaints. It wasn't the 'deep bass' that was missing, it was the 'high-bass, lower-midrange', and it was more a 325i problem than a LD.

May 31, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #472 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always did find the bottom end kind of missing/lacking when I listen through the LD MK IV SE.
frown.gif

If you've ever heard it as a preamp, you would know it's not the LD. It's got plenty of bottom end...

May 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #473 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've ever heard it as a preamp, you would know it's not the LD. It's got plenty of bottom end...

(iMod) - (cable) - (LD MK IV SE) - (RS-2)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am currently starting to sniff out a spare $250 to buy the KECES DA-151 DAC, so that should be a crazy good combo.

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #474 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we need to send you pairs of:
- Audio Technica L3000 [48ohm]
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro [80ohm version]
- Denon D5000 [25ohm]
- Grado GS1000 [32ohm]
- Grado HP1000 [40ohm]
- Grado RS1 [32ohm]
- Sony Qualia 010 [70ohm]
- Ultrasone Edition 9 [30ohm]

.. etc etc. A few of those are definitely known for their bass, as well (L3000, Ed9, dt770, etc). Maybe all these and the other high-end grados are the exception
wink.gif
Anyways, the point is that there are bass-light and bass-heavy phones on both ends of the impedance spectrum, with a few specific examples of the low-impedance end listed above. I don't think there's enough evidence to support a general claim about correlation between high-impedance and bass reproduction, but maybe there is and I've just not studied enough.

Sorry, I just thought that statement was a bit odd, even with the 'generally' and 'there are exceptions' thrown in. I'm not attacking ya in any way
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
You sure could send me some, that would be cool!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
This kind of thing isn't talked about very much, if at all. I have always wondered if there was a bigger picture here, that is not easy to see. There may not be enough evidence to support a solid claim, true enough, but I wonder how the total numbers would add up? There sure is a bunch of headphones out there! The cost of acquiring headphones probably keeps this kind of topic from being explored.
smily_headphones1.gif
Have a good one!

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #476 of 847
Good news!

The MKIV's on average, only use 30 watts of power!!
I think that is pretty decent for the old electric bill!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've updated the review to reflect this good news.

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #477 of 847
I'm using the Keces DA-131 (upgraded to the DAC chips from the 151), LD MKIV, and RS1's. I couldn't be happier with the setup. Go for the Keces, you'll love it in your rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(iMod) - (cable) - (LD MK IV SE) - (RS-2)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am currently starting to sniff out a spare $250 to buy the KECES DA-151 DAC, so that should be a crazy good combo.

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #478 of 847
is the price difference of the mkiv and mkivse worth it?

what are the key differences?

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #479 of 847
Better connectors, better tubes, 2 year warranty. I did it especially for the tubes, because I didn't want to search for tubes etc., and because I like to have the 'TOTL'.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #480 of 847
Quote:

Better connectors, better tubes, 2 year warranty. I did it especially for the tubes, because I didn't want to search for tubes etc., and because I like to have the 'TOTL'.

biggrin.gif
Hold tight to that wallet!
biggrin.gif

If you truly want the absolute last drop of high end performance out of your MKIVse, then you'll be interested in the 6H30PI-DR power tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
Warning, not for the faint hearted, weak kneed, or thin of wallet! PM me if you'd like to hear my impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back