Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
May 18, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #451 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I may pull the trigger on this. The current included NOS tubes are good?

My replacement amp has about 150 hrs on it now. I think they sound as good as the originals. but I sent those back with the first amp. I think tjumper kept his original set and got the new ones as well. wonder which ones he uses? might be telling....

May 18, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #452 of 847
Where do you buy Little Dot amps online?

May 18, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #455 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I may pull the trigger on this. The current included NOS tubes are good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they sound great -even though I haven't fully broken them in yet (have about 75 hours or so on them now).

It can go very loud (I tried once, my ears still hurt) with zero distortion and plenty of slam (which my eardrums can attest to). It has a very smooth sound
and is very detailed with an excellent presence and sound stage. I use Grado RS2's with the amp. IMO - one of my better audio purchases. No regrets buying it, and am enjoying every minute of it that I can!

Yepper! The KPT said it all.
smily_headphones1.gif
Later on, you can try some different driver tubes to further refine the sound to your tastes. There are many great tubes talked about, over in the MKIII tube rolling thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #456 of 847
Hey all, noob member, first post whatever....

This thread and a couple of others has been enough to make me pull the trigger on an SE (and a Keces DA-131, totally anniahlated my motorbike fund) about... ohh... two hours ago. Can't wait for it to turn up, and I'll back up what others here have said about David's customer service and speed. I expected to have to wait a day or so for him to get back to me on the SE version, but 20mins later there was an invoice in my email, couldn't belive it.

Anyway, had a question:

I'm gathering from what's been written that tubes need a burn in period, bit like an old car engine after a rebuild, of not stressing them too much with listening sessions longer than a few hours. Is there a set number of hours for this to go on, and afterwards can the listening periods be extended? Just I've gone crashing into the end of a uni semester, which means doing multiple all-nighters and I like to listen while I work. Should I start schedueling meal breaks?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but this is my first foray into the world of doing anything more than plugging my cans directly into the back of the PC.

May 20, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #457 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfisti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, noob member, first post whatever....

This thread and a couple of others has been enough to make me pull the trigger on an SE (and a Keces DA-131, totally anniahlated my motorbike fund) about... ohh... two hours ago. Can't wait for it to turn up, and I'll back up what others here have said about David's customer service and speed. I expected to have to wait a day or so for him to get back to me on the SE version, but 20mins later there was an invoice in my email, couldn't belive it.

Anyway, had a question:

I'm gathering from what's been written that tubes need a burn in period, bit like an old car engine after a rebuild, of not stressing them too much with listening sessions longer than a few hours. Is there a set number of hours for this to go on, and afterwards can the listening periods be extended? Just I've gone crashing into the end of a uni semester, which means doing multiple all-nighters and I like to listen while I work. Should I start schedueling meal breaks?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but this is my first foray into the world of doing anything more than plugging my cans directly into the back of the PC.

The consensus is no more than 8 hours at a time, with a cool down to room temp between sessions. This should do just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #459 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone have some extra driver tubes to sell?
i am looking for a pair of soviet tubes 6ZH1P-EV, or a pair of Tung-Sol 5654. shoot me a pm if you have them.
i'm also gonna try the fs section.

Well... those are the right tubes... without a doubt - the best you'll find with the DV332 - Svets and Tung Sols. Should be good with the MKIV also.

May 22, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #460 of 847
Hi guys, haven't posted much on head-fi for the last few years, I actually sold my headphone gear a few years back to start building up a 2-channel loudspeaker setup, and now I've just stepped back into the headphone arena.

Long story short, here's a link to the polk audio forums where I've got a whole thread on my system:

I'm done! The coolest 2-channel stereo I've ever owned - Club Polk

Highlights of this setup are that I'm using the LDMKIVSE as my pre-amp, with a boldercable mod'ed/Welborne Power-Supply'd Squeezebox as the source, feeding a somewhat mod'ed nad 2200 powering a pair of polk sda 2b's that I've completely rebuilt. All the cables are Signal.

Reason I've just now jumped back over to headfi is I've added a few new toys to the mix: Stefan Equinox Grado GS1000's, as well as a pair of Senn 650's. I still need to figure out a cable for the Senn's, I'm relaxing with the wallet for a while. But man those Senns can sound so much better, in my old setup I had the Cardas cable. I'm thinking about an Equinox for the Senns. I can't say for certain that I'll keep both the Grados and the Senns. But I need a real cable in order to fairly compare the Grados to the Senns with the LD. Right now the Grados blow the Senns away, but the Grados are using a wire that cost what the Senn 650 costs new!

Interesting thing that I can say starting off with the LD as a pre-amp and then comparing the sound to these most-excellent headphones is that y'all don't even realize what the LD is even capable of doing! As amazing as it sounds with headphones, as a pre-amp for my loudspeaker system this thing can reach points that can just blow your mind. The kind of stuff that would make you deaf if you tried it with cans
wink.gif

It is simply a stellar piece of gear, an utter steal at $399. I'm still using Mullard M8100's and EH 6H30PI, although I have a pair of Raytheon 6AK5W's (I prefer the Mullards for the loudspeakers). I also have a pair of Mullard M8161's, but I've yet to start playing with the jumpers.

Final point to make is that David is simply the best. He and I have been emailing constantly for several months back and forth. He has been unbelievably helpful. A level of customer service that you couldn't possibly dream of from a "normal" company.

Anyways, check out my Polk thread, it's a cool system...

May 26, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #461 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am looking for a pair of soviet tubes 6ZH1P-EV, or a pair of Tung-Sol 5654. shoot me a pm if you have them. i'm also gonna try the fs section.

The 6ZH1P also goes by 6J1P, you can find them pretty handily on ebay.
redface.gif

May 27, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #462 of 847
Wow, the MKIVse also is an amazing pre-amp. My speakers have never sounded this good, just wow. Anybody else had this experience?

May 27, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #464 of 847
Hmm why did you get rid of the HD650? And why not go for some real good cans
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #465 of 847
Has anyone noticed a lack of bass with low impedance phones? If I use my 325i's with the MKIVse (6h30p/m8100) I notice a lack of mid-bass + low-bass. This is very easily noticable when I switch between my Zero's amp (627+1364) to my MKIVse, there really is alot of bass missing. Offcourse could change to some more 'bass-heavy' tubes, but I don't want to, because the tubes sound great with my sextett and K601, not lacking bass at all. I tried changing the dipswitches, but besides a change in volume, there is nothing happening that I hear. Any idea's??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back