REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Nov 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #541 of 1,326
Well the Zero (opa627/lt1364) is what I'm trying to upgrade from
tongue.gif

I take it the EF2 isn't a good idea then.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #542 of 1,326
Not a powerful Hybrid but my first chioce for "Newbee Tubee's". I would research the Darkvoices, Little Dots, and the Jade. They seem to be more powerful tube amps. sonething the AKG 7XX's can use. You may also want to try an HDAM upgrade first. 40.00 to 60.00 and easy DIY. The "Earth" I ordered with the Zero comes pretty close to the EF-2's Tube flavour. The Maverick is said to be getting Opamp sockets and should be compatable with HDAMs and of course the Compass is the Signature HDAM amp.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #543 of 1,326
Got my EF2 this morning!!

I used it for about 10-15 mins before class. At the time I was using it at about 8/9 volume. I came back from class and started using it again. I am noticing that it is getting louder(using at 6/9 now) and I am seeing more glow in the tubes.

Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to get a longer usb cable and power cable for the ef2 from.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #544 of 1,326
Well personally I'd look at a stronger PSU. My PSU burnt out, and when I say that, I mean the primary windings wires cooked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gon/burned.jpg

Had to resort to making my own PSU for the thing..

PCCables.com is where I get all my cables from. Nice and cheap, sold locally to where I live too..

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #545 of 1,326
Ahh! Yeah. Sounds like a good idea =p

anyone know what the end of the usb cable that plugs into the EF2 is called? i'm guessing is Type B end? How many pins is it? I just wanna be sure I get the right thing =p

I might have found it... please confirm http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Anyone know a good place to get a better/new power adapter? monoprice only has like 2 =p I also didn't see it on PCCables.com

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #546 of 1,326
I was actually referring PCCables.com for USB cables. But the USB cable you chose will be fine.. Just remember, USB is digital, and the EF2 uses the slow link speeds as it's USB audio spec, you really don't need a high end USB cable. The signal is either on or off, so it can't really change audio quality.. Now for RCA analog jacks, that's another story (and I found the RCA input far louder).

For a PSU, please remember it's AC, 16v... Now, I don't know how the EF2 works, but it looks like it has rectifying diodes, then leads to a 7812 to be regulated to 12v DC..

But still, say 16v AC.. As for amperage, more is always fine, it can only take what it needs, but never go under amp...

I think one thing that needs to be remembered, is vacuum tubes draw 2-3 times their normal current when warming up, thus a strong PSU is highly recommended..

There's some 16.5v AC PSU's used for alarm systems. Those should be sufficient. Though over voltage isn't good, .5v really shouldn't harm anything, especially since there's a 7812 regulator inside.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #547 of 1,326
Wow!! Thanks mmd8x28 for all the great infomation!!

I was rather ignorant but now I have a much better idea what to aim for
wink.gif
thanks.

I figured the monoprice cable is only a 1.27$ so it's not that fancy =p. I just want something longer.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #548 of 1,326
Hi, I'm a total noob in head-fi and I need some help!

I'm thinking of getting a pair of k702's and I understand I need an amp. At first the EF2 seemed like a good choice, since I would like an usb dac as well, but it seems it lacks the power needed to drive the 702's. I considered getting a 336se or CanAmp and maybe wait with the dac or buy a cheap one, but I'd rather not wait. The Zero 627U seemed like an option for me, but it lacks analog input and I'm not sure of it worthy of the 702's. So after some more thinking I thought I maybe buy another headphone with the EF2, or maybe a different setup altogether. 400-700

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #549 of 1,326
What kind of sound are you wanting and what genre do you like. The Denon line is made in heaven for the EF1 and EF2, but they are a quite fun and flavourful sound..
Not too many people have expressed thier views of the EF2 and the Grados but I know there a few. So first, if you can give us a bit on your existing gear and tastes, maybe we can ellaborate.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #550 of 1,326
Well, i don't have any gear worth mentioning. I'll be using my laptop as source until I can get a decent cd-player. I listen to many kinds of music (rock,metal, jazz, electronic +) but I want something that will do well with classical. There will also be some and gaming, but this is not a priority (especially since I use Logitech z-5500 for surround, and I'm guessing there are limits to what I can get out of it). As you may understand my wallet is not of the big kind, and my interest for headphones began only recently, when I realized I can't afford a good stereo. Not yet anyway, since I got a Pioneer monitor that needs to be paid=/

But I want to buy something I can keep when I get better equipment.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #551 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonReborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm a total noob in head-fi and I need some help!

I'm thinking of getting a pair of k702's and I understand I need an amp. At first the EF2 seemed like a good choice, since I would like an usb dac as well, but it seems it lacks the power needed to drive the 702's. I considered getting a 336se or CanAmp and maybe wait with the dac or buy a cheap one, but I'd rather not wait. The Zero 627U seemed like an option for me, but it lacks analog input and I'm not sure of it worthy of the 702's. So after some more thinking I thought I maybe buy another headphone with the EF2, or maybe a different setup altogether. 400-700

I had a pair of K701 for a week back in 2007 that I sold because my iBasso D1 and DV336i could not drive the K701 properly and they were fairly bass-lite (like the ATH-W5000 were bad on 336i too). Grados, Denon and Ultrasone are a great match for the EF2 as well as most of my IEM, and even HD600 and HD800 seem better driven with the EF2 than most of my portable amps. I don't have a K702 to try with it though.

The EF2 cannot drive my K1000 or my SFI orthodynamics, nor could it properly drive the Head-direct HE-5 orthodynamics, but everything else I mentioned seems to work. So, you might consider the Grado HF-2 or RS-1, Denon D7000, or Ultrasone Pro 2500 or Pro 750 (never heard the Pro 900), and don't write-off the HD600 either. I forgot to mention that the ATH-A900 that I have are recabled and dampened inside and they are very nice with the EF2 as well as my stock ATH-ESW10.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #553 of 1,326
For those who have tried rolling new tubes in the EF2, do they make a significant difference?

Due to head-fi's influence, I took the plunge on an ebay lot of 6AK5 (pairs of sylvania, GE, and RCA) tubes from a seller with very good feedback and pic of the lot including all the boxes for the various tubes for a very reasonable price and was curious which of these would be the best to try out first.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #554 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by daigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have tried rolling new tubes in the EF2, do they make a significant difference?

Due to head-fi's influence, I took the plunge on an ebay lot of 6AK5 (pairs of sylvania, GE, and RCA) tubes from a seller with very good feedback and pic of the lot including all the boxes for the various tubes for a very reasonable price and was curious which of these would be the best to try out first.

The EF2 sounds nice with the stock tubes and worth the price, but with the Raytheon 6AK5 tubes it becomes more refined and balanced and sounds like a $400 amp.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #555 of 1,326
Anyone know of a good online retailer of high quality (Raytheon, other brands?) 6ak5s?

NOTE: I do not know high quality tubes. I'm hoping whatever $20-50 can get will be a nice upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back