REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
post-11320351
Post #1,321 of 1,326

saguro

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Another thread revival:

I recently purchased the 400i and EF2a combo from HiFiMan as an office set-up and after several weeks of listening, I can say that this combo is a marked improvement from my unamped Shure SE425 or my Bose QC15.  I sometimes notice that the sub-bass breaks up (muddies?) in tracks with a lot of sub-bass with the 400i.  I ordered some  Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV "Rocket" tubes from Russia and hope that they will help.  I've read this entire thread and used the tube rolling guide for the LD (mentioned early in the thread) to find out what tubes people rated highest.  I saw a few others on the thread ask about these tubes without much luck in getting a response.  Perhaps there's more experience now?  

Being that I don't have another amp to compare to, am I getting the the 'full' 400i experience with the combo I purchased, or could I expect a significant increase in SQ with a better DAC/Amp?

post-11326991
Post #1,322 of 1,326

clusterm

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Folks,  can you please straighten out my confusion?  I keep hearing mixed information regarding sending audio via RCA vs DAC ports on this amp.
I was going to use the Schiit Modi-2 and connect it with good rca cables to EF-2A.   Is this ideal setup, as the 16bit dac on ef2a is a bit meh.

So,  use the external DAC and connect with RCA cables?
or forget about it, and use the dac provided?

Thanks!

post-11945726
Post #1,323 of 1,326

laurandy

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
This is my first post.  I am going from a Nuforce Icon HDP to a HiFiman EF2A.  The Nuforce was pretty nice I have to say.  I am using it on my Asus I7 laptop with Sony MDR-V6 headphone (love these and I have listened andowned quite a few different ones).

My impressions:  I bought the HiFiman off Ebay and it came with Sung Sol 1945 6AK5s tubes.  Of course I bought a few sets of tubes to roll just for fun.  These particular Sung Sols sounded pretty good.  But not better than the HDP.  I then popped in a set of Sung Sol JAN 6AJ5 1942 NOS with clear top and side getter.  They were not even burned in, and I was blown away by the sound.  Huge sound stage and nice highs and lows.  Really nice.  

I next tried some Russian Voshkod 6zhip-ev.  They were ok at best.  I know I need to burn these in for 100+ hours ... which I did not.  I have some Mullards on the way to try as well.

Bottom line the EF2 with the old clear top Sung Sols sounds awesome.  I highly reccomend them!

Thanks,
Andy

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict
post-11967823
Post #1,324 of 1,326

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Glad to see this little amp still getting some love.  I may not use mine much anymore, but I still have it after 6 years and don't plan to ever sell it.

post-12281006
Post #1,325 of 1,326

pmronline

Head-Fier
Reaction score
  This is my first post.  I am going from a Nuforce Icon HDP to a HiFiman EF2A.  The Nuforce was pretty nice I have to say.  I am using it on my Asus I7 laptop with Sony MDR-V6 headphone (love these and I have listened andowned quite a few different ones).

My impressions:  I bought the HiFiman off Ebay and it came with Sung Sol 1945 6AK5s tubes.  Of course I bought a few sets of tubes to roll just for fun.  These particular Sung Sols sounded pretty good.  But not better than the HDP.  I then popped in a set of Sung Sol JAN 6AJ5 1942 NOS with clear top and side getter.  They were not even burned in, and I was blown away by the sound.  Huge sound stage and nice highs and lows.  Really nice.  

I next tried some Russian Voshkod 6zhip-ev.  They were ok at best.  I know I need to burn these in for 100+ hours ... which I did not.  I have some Mullards on the way to try as well.

Bottom line the EF2 with the old clear top Sung Sols sounds awesome.  I highly reccomend them!

Thanks,
Andy

Hope you burned your voshkod tubes.  how does it compare vs your tung sol clear tops?

post-12281221
Post #1,326 of 1,326

laurandy

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
The Tung Sol clear tops def sounded the best... followed by the RCAs and Mullards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)