REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Nov 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #571 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I just found a song in my iTunes library that seemingly has no bass at all on the EF2 (and only a sliver of bass on the computers own headphone jack).

It's Gorillaz - 19-2000 (Soul Child Remix)

There just seems to be no bass, and nearly every other song from them has pumping bass on the EF2's.. Don't know if that's the intention of the song or not. The youtube (stereo versions if you can't find it) are like that too, no bass..

Is it just me, or is this the song just bassless?

Don't know, but it seems to be that way for you regardless of source or amp, so it must be the song.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #573 of 1,326
Quote:

Wonder why they'd make a remix of a song with no bass, seems like something you wouldn't want to do.

It would be a slammin' song if it had a bit of bass/beat put into it. I tried it with my DT770 > T4 > CPU and there is alittle bass, but it doesn't come out at all.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #574 of 1,326
The only way I can sneak bass is using the iTunes EQ and making a very high bass curve, but then it sounds kinda "breathy" as if it's fake..

The original version of 19/2000 has bass, don't know why it was lost in the remix.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #575 of 1,326
I'm curious right now, why the hell are cheap rat shack headphones working SO well, when used on the EF2? I'd expect "the weakest link", which would be these headphones, but my god, these headphones put out some sound and undistorted bass, despite other people complaining it lacks on bass..

Hmm....

Not even a model number written on them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...headphones.jpg

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #576 of 1,326
Quote:

I'm curious right now, why the hell are cheap rat shack headphones working SO well, when used on the EF2? I'd expect "the weakest link", which would be these headphones, but my god, these headphones put out some sound and undistorted bass, despite other people complaining it lacks on bass..

Hmm....

Not even a model number written on them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...headphones.jpg

Too bad they aren't the Pro 30 orthodynamics.
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #577 of 1,326
Man, that reminds me. My father has some old Shure headphones (and by old, I mean like, when I was born old).. Same size as these, including the large headphone jack.

They are severely damaged from abuse over the years, and the foam pads are flaking all over the place. Only one side works, and is likely a wire..

Should I bother to repair it?

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #578 of 1,326
Quote:

Man, that reminds me. My father has some old Shure headphones (and by old, I mean like, when I was born old).. Same size as these, including the large headphone jack.

They are severely damaged from abuse over the years, and the foam pads are flaking all over the place. Only one side works, and is likely a wire..

Should I bother to repair it?

Probably not - but there may be some guys in the orthodynamic thread looking for a broken cheap donor phone to create a Frankenfone.

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #580 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would this amp do with the HFI 780?

I think it would de very well. Don't have mine anymore though (traded my ALO recabled ones for a Gibson Explorer).

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #581 of 1,326
Maybe this isn't the right thread, but I'll try anyway.

Is there any point getting the d7000 over the d2000 with the EF2?
I read somewhere the d7000 needs great sources to excel, so I'm not sure it will be worth the 400 extra.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #582 of 1,326
I personally don't feel that the 7K is worth getting over the 5K but definitely the 5K at least. As far as compatabliltiy with the EF2? ALL of the Denons have a great synergy with the EF's Both 1 and 2. and probably the New EF5 but we've not heard back on that review yet.And probably with most tube hybrids. The Denon signature is quite "Flavourful" and "Fun" and the tubes bring out the most in that flavour while still having the Solid State stage for the low impedence Cans.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #583 of 1,326
Thanks! Retail for the 7k is about $1750 here in Norway, but I have a friend living in the U.S. who can bring it for me when he come home for xmas. (Amazon $700) I'll save alot of money!

Then again, I'll save alot on the 5k as well ($1050 in Norway, $420 Amazon) and I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay that much if there isn't much difference besides the nice box.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #585 of 1,326
Ha, my father has some old Pro-80's lying around. They don't work though.. Same abuse as the Shures.. Sucks, that move to Florida from Mass, really damaged a lot of our stuff while in storage for couple years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back