REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Nov 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #511 of 1,326
No, the way a Mac sound system works, is it has outputs and an input, and only a master control per each.. Every app has it's own software-volume control though, but it's up..

Screenshot2009-11-10at122412PM.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ragon/ef21.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ragon/ef22.jpg

I just tried cranking it to max, and nearly blew my ear drums out. Well it does get loud, volume control logarithmic and not linear? Seems to be that way.. But soundstage is starting to expand as I continue to listen, so tubes are still breaking in..

EDIT: On the Mac, it defaulted to 100% volume too, not 50% like Windows...

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #513 of 1,326
Haha, thanks. I'm in the middle of restoring it, it's a model 500 western electric..

Anyways, my EF2 is starting to slowly get louder and louder. I'm going to assume it's just because the tubes are so new...

Listening to accoustic guitars on this thing is like, better than listening in person. There's a quality to this thing, even on a song with an accoustic guitar with a bassy kick drum in the background..

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #515 of 1,326
Radioshack headphones, over the ear types, that were expensive too (expensive even for ratshack)..

Since my layoff, I really can't afford better headphones right now, but they seem to do the trick..

I'm watching a movie on the EF2 and these headphones right now. Even movies are benefitting from the EF2..

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #517 of 1,326
I ordered my EF2 last week and received it last friday (gotta love DHL Express shipping, it's WAY faster than regular shipping)...

Along with my other purchase (HD595) it sits very nicely on my desk, so now they're both getting some overnight hours of pink noise:

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #518 of 1,326
I ordered my EF2 on October 24th, it shipped out on November 5th (according to the shipping label)..

I did ask if it was available and was told yes. But oh well, I finally received it..

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #519 of 1,326
Btw, my power light don't appear to work, or well, it does, but it's SOOOO dim you have to look straight on to it. From my sitting position with it on the desk, you can't actually see the light on or not..

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #521 of 1,326
If that was the case, I'm sure that USB light inside that's a super bright orange wouldn't be there.
wink.gif

But, I was just asking... Wanted to make sure it wasn't a defect or something.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #522 of 1,326
I ordered my EF2 last Monday and I was able to pick mine up from the postal annex here in SF today. Sounds pretty good so far with my ATH-A900 so far but I'm always hoping for more with time
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #523 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It arrived. It def. will need a breakin. Out of the box it sounds a little weakish, but seems as I play it more it gets "wider"..

Though, I have the volume control 2 o clock position and Mac OS X set with volume at max, it's not "loud loud" but decent loud..

I assume that'll improve with breakin too?

You need to max out your computer volume and the application volume, mine typical is about 10-11 o clock.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #524 of 1,326
It is maxed out on OS X and iTunes. So far, the headphone port on my Mac Pro is louder than the EF2 (just not as warm and wide sounding).. On an old 80's song I had to max out the EF2, just to get it loud to my liking..

EDIT: I should note, that my entire library is de-loudness war'ed..

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #525 of 1,326
On a side note, I'm curious as to how the tubes are used on the EF2. As I am usually a Fisher 800c user (so not completely a stranger to tubes), I just wonder this.

Are each tube for L and R channels respectively, or do both tubes amp both L and R channels? (hope I worded that clearly)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back