REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Oct 29, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #481 of 1,326
Do I have sensitive ears or something? I can't use the EF2 with my headphones at anymore than 9 o'clock and that's with the volume on foobar already turned down about 5db (~75% on the volume slide). I know all my headphones are easily driven, but I've seen others talk about using the EF2 with similar headphones.

On the other hand... I let me friend try my SR325i + EF2 and he cranked it up to the 12 o'clock position.

I still love my EF2 though. I love how it sounds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #482 of 1,326
Yukhiro,
One of the best things about the EF series is the ability to "roll" the tubes to change the flavour. There's a guy on eBay that has a large source of Mullard CV4010 tubes (read back a few pages). 4.99 each in bulk. Tung Sol is another one of my favorite brands.. I've tried many new Russian tubes for this and the EF1 and although they're pretty cheap I found them lacking in depth and don't use them anymore.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #483 of 1,326
Are you referring to my post? I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I love the way my EF2 sounds. I'm currently using a pair of Raytheon 6AK5W tubes, which I find to be very nice with my SR325i. I tried some other tubes I got from eBay (forgot the brand) and didn't really like them much at all. The stock tubes were actually fairly decent. By the way, my previous post was referring to the volume of the EF2.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #486 of 1,326
No worries, mmd. The lucky ones get it in under a week. Mine took a week and a half. Do tracking numbers work for international shipping?

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #487 of 1,326
Well USPS parses the number correctly, as if it's in their format, but it shows "no records"..

I know the package is on it's way, but damn, USPS tracking really sucks.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #491 of 1,326
I ordered this item from amazon 6 days ago.According to the seller, it shipped the same day ( i received the tracking number) but until today i was not able to track it via USPA or EMS.
Today it`s finally show in the tracking system
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #492 of 1,326
To recap, the 6AK5 is a good, cheap upgrade from the stock tubes, right?

I've never bought/rolled tubes before. I found 6AK5 tubes for $5 each at thetubestore's site. Would these be matched? Would these tubes not be much of an upgrade if they're not matched?

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #493 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To recap, the 6AK5 is a good, cheap upgrade from the stock tubes, right?

I've never bought/rolled tubes before. I found 6AK5 tubes for $5 each at thetubestore's site. Would these be matched? Would these tubes not be much of an upgrade if they're not matched?

I have a set of Raytheon 6AK5 that are worth about $40, so the cost and quality will vary depending on what brand you find and how old they are. Only the seller can tell you what brand he is selling, and if they are matched or not. The stock chinese tubes are not bad, and if you find $5 tubes they might be about the same as stock.

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #494 of 1,326
*sigh* new week, still no tracking.. I really want to know where that package is. I emailed head-direct, no response..

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #495 of 1,326
Is anyone using K701 with EF2?

How is the synergy between them? Does sound become too mellow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back