REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Oct 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #466 of 1,326
I switched between a cd player source (amp) and my pc (DAC/amp) on the same song. Noticeably loud hiss from the PC and DAC, but again, this after only about a half hour.

There was a loud click the first few times through the headphones I switched the CD/USB button, but since it has switched silently.

Should it matter that I'm using a semi-crappy, 5 year-old PC? I'm currently listening via HD600s.

UPDATE: I got out my much better/newer, 6 month-old laptop and hooked it up. Much better! No hiss. But shouldn't the computer sourse have little/no effect? I thought the DAC essentially bypasses the source's components, negating any impact on the sound from the source.

UPDATE 2: I switched back to the old PC, and now the hiss seems to be gone. I don't know what's going on. Thanks, though. I'm liking the sound and will report back after some substantial burn-in.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #467 of 1,326
I only hear a hiss when I go above like 95% of the volume knob, which would make me temporally deaf if I pushed play,

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #469 of 1,326
I get background noise from the amp at volumes past 12 o' clock with my IEMs but it is only noticeable past 4 with my MS-1s. The noise gets softer if I switch CD input but I notice that there is some very soft music coming through in CD input but when the DAC is connected and music playing so I assume the noise is coming from the amp and not the DAC.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #471 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get background noise from the amp at volumes past 12 o' clock with my IEMs but it is only noticeable past 4 with my MS-1s. The noise gets softer if I switch CD input but I notice that there is some very soft music coming through in CD input but when the DAC is connected and music playing so I assume the noise is coming from the amp and not the DAC.

lol, mine becomes painfully loud after 12 o' clock with 300ohm hd580s! I am usually around 10-11 max. In fact right now its early and the morning and they are slightly less than 9.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #472 of 1,326
More PC problems. After restarting my computer, it reverted back to using my sound card and no longer recognizes the DAC (it's an "unknown device"). It also doesn't recognize any drivers for it.

I tried Troubleshooting, but that has not helped. Do I just need to find the driver online for the DAC to be recognized? If someone could point me to the driver, that would be great.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #474 of 1,326
Under device manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers (no "USB"), there is no option for "USB Speakers". Under USB controllers, the DAC seems to be identified as Unkown Device.

When enabling the DAC previously, I would go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware, and under Hardware there would be an option for USB Speakers (the DAC). That option is no longer there.

If it matters, I'm using Windows XP.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #475 of 1,326
It states there is no driver installed for the device. Therefore, if I manually install the driver myself, would that not solve the problem?

But I can't seem to find the driver!

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #476 of 1,326
I don't think it needs a special driver. That's why it thinks it's speakers. Right clicking on unknown device> uninstalling> removing USB plug> restart computer> plug USB back in once computer is restarted? I know if I switch between the EF2 and the Maverick it will make me restart with both unplugged and then plug in the one I want to use.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #477 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under device manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers (no "USB"), there is no option for "USB Speakers". Under USB controllers, the DAC seems to be identified as Unkown Device.

When enabling the DAC previously, I would go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware, and under Hardware there would be an option for USB Speakers (the DAC). That option is no longer there.

Sometimes windows corrupts it's own drivers. Before I switched to Mac I would find it helpful to go to the system > device manager > and find the USB device with the red x or yellow ! and then remove the device and let windows reinstall a driver for it.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #478 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is the DAC connected to a hub or to the front USB ports? Sometimes, moving your USB device to another USB port will help. Try to disconnect it and reconnect it, preferably to a port directly on the back of the motherboard.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #479 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the DAC connected to a hub or to the front USB ports? Sometimes, moving your USB device to another USB port will help. Try to disconnect it and reconnect it, preferably to a port directly on the back of the motherboard.

After many hours of stressing, searching the web, and making no progress, I finally switched to a different usb port. That's all it took. Agh. Thanks for the help, guys.

Glory has returned.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #480 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl
lol, mine becomes painfully loud after 12 o' clock with 300ohm hd580s! I am usually around 10-11 max. In fact right now its early and the morning and they are slightly less than 9.

Haha, no I just cranked it all the way up to see how loud the background hiss could be, no way I listen to music that loud. Usually 9-10 o'clock for my RE0s and 10-11 for my MS-1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back