REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Nov 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #526 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, I'm curious as to how the tubes are used on the EF2. As I am usually a Fisher 800c user (so not completely a stranger to tubes), I just wonder this.

Are each tube for L and R channels respectively, or do both tubes amp both L and R channels? (hope I worded that clearly)..

Pull a tube and test it?

Also you shouldn't be having to crank it to that high of volume. Do what you can to sit a bit lower. I hope your not just killing your hearing listening to loud!

also what is this you mentioned: de-loudness war'ed

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #527 of 1,326
I didn't want to pull a tube and run it like that, thought i'd damage something, but that might just be me thinking about the higher amps that had transformers for each channel...

Well I have been known to have slight hearing problems. I mean, I can hear the bugs outside chirping right now at night, but as to how well other people hear them than me, I don't know.

When I say de-loudness war'ed, what I mean is this. Back in the 80's when CD's were new, music was at a respectible level on the disc itself, no clipping. But every album I have bought today, clips so loud, it's off the charts.. What I do is, while I can't restore the sound lost from the clipping of modern CD's, I tone down the volume to the average of a CD from the 80's... So it's not blaring loud when I go from an 80's song to a modern song. Even songs that are the same but re-released get louder from this effect..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1at85406PM.png

Top left is an 80's song, while bottom right is a modern rock song. Just SO much louder and clipped beyond belief...

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #528 of 1,326
Well, oh great, my EF2 just died by itself. Both tubes are no longer lit, but the power light is on.. No sound whatsoever.

Great, I waited all that time for it to die on the 2nd day..

EDIT: Fixed it temporarily. the power supply failed..

EDIT2: Powersupply died again.. This PSU is toast.. Don't know if I want to even bother getting it replaced, just build a better one...

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #532 of 1,326
Holy crap my EF2 just woke up. Was listening to Daft Punk Alive 07, and the bass slowly started creeping up, now it's just like being at their freakin concerts..

AWESOME!

Now to get some 1945 NOS 6AK5's from Western Electric, military grade. That'd be awesome, WE tubes next to my era exact WE phone..

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #533 of 1,326
Okay, so it was 'Despatch from Sorting Center' yesterday. Could someone tell me from that point how long it took for their EF2 to arrive?

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #534 of 1,326
Can't even begin to guess. Especially since you, and many head-fi'ers choose not to list thier location in thier Signature. Although express isn't exactly overnight from the East, it usually arrives in just a day or two after it hits US customs. From San Fancisco Customs to my door was two days. My Maverick came in one day Via DHL.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #537 of 1,326
I live ~3 miles from the SF customs postal annex so they attempted delivery of my EF2 the day after it cleared customs. I wasn't home so I had to go pick it up at the annex the following day.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #538 of 1,326
Has anyone tried their EF2 with a K701 or DT880 (250/600)? Comments?
I don't remember reading any detailed comments about either cans with this amp.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #540 of 1,326
I tried out the 702's with the EF1 and EF 2 and although the EF1 is more pwoerful that it's little brother, I found them both lacking the power the 702's were crying for. The AKG's are a sort of a pickle. Although they are not a high impedence can they really need to be amped. There are two amps in this range that seem to have enough power for the AKG's. The Maverick/Xheng Sheng,Grant Fidelity which has a tube pre-amp section. ( Headphone out is Solid state only) and the Zero DacAmp which is all solid state although my Zero with the "earth" HDAM comes pretty close to the EF2's "Flavour". They can be upgraded in many ways and configured differently including OPamps and HDAM's. I have not had experiences with the Little Dots or Darkvoices so someone else would have to chime in with opinions of those as a tube aternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back