RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 12, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #406 of 3,674
I actually meant it in a good way! I'm asking Michael since he has a lot of TOTL and would be a nice comparison and see where it actually stands among them!!
yeah i know you did, its a great great iem and I think I should go customs for the first time

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #407 of 3,674
I’ll second what Sound Eq said - I’d like to demo the MEST and if I enjoy what I’m hearing jump straight to custom. The bone conduction driver from what I’ve read relies on maximum surface contact with the ear so the jump in performance when going to custom should be pretty significant

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #409 of 3,674
I’ll second what Sound Eq said - I’d like to demo the MEST and if I enjoy what I’m hearing jump straight to custom. The bone conduction driver from what I’ve read relies on maximum surface contact with the ear so the jump in performance when going to custom should be pretty significant
ii am in the process to order the sultan, i would not say the MEST is best in everything, but for the money its amazing. I am now so eager to get the sultan which will happen soon

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #410 of 3,674
I’m interested but it would have to be demo :frowning2: I’ve overspent quite severely already, though my sister is happy cause she got so many free toys haha
If you want me to help out you can certainly just post me some gear that you don’t want. I mean, it’s the least I could do to help! 😃🤣

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #411 of 3,674
Actually, in this case you may prefer the uni. Supposedly the bone conduction primarily impacts the upper mids and fills in the very modest pinna gain (as measured) adding perceived elevation in the region you're trying to keep tame.

Keep in mind this is all based on what I read and I haven't heard any form of the mest.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #412 of 3,674
So, my next IEM purchase is a tossup between the MEST and the Dmagic. The former is getting a ton of attention these days (funny how it took six months for this to happen), so it’s hard to ignore the accolades. But I prefer the build and aesthetics of the Dmagic, and its use of DD drivers. I especially love the wood body shells.

This is one of those times where a CanJam would be really helpful to choose which to buy. I made the most expensive blind purchase with my Odin—I’m happy I did—but due to covid related out of hand spending on head-fi gear this year, I’m reluctant to just buy both and sell one taking the typical hit.

If anyone has first-hand experience comparing the two, I’d be happy to read your assessment. 😁

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #413 of 3,674
The bass on the MEST is very appealing, but that bump around 2.5K on the Dmagic has worked for me in the past creating a sense of immediacy.

graph.png

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #414 of 3,674
The bass on the MEST is very appealing, but that bump around 2.5K on the Dmagic has worked for me in the past creating a sense of immediacy.

graph.png
I think we have quite perfectly opposing preferences when it comes to the upper midrange :D my reviews could be almost useful to you in the sense that anything I dislike you’re likely to enjoy haha

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #415 of 3,674
Actually, in this case you may prefer the uni. Supposedly the bone conduction primarily impacts the upper mids and fills in the very modest pinna gain (as measured) adding perceived elevation in the region you're trying to keep tame.

Keep in mind this is all based on what I read and I haven't heard any form of the mest.
I’m not certain about the MEST. It generated a lot of hype, almost as if out of nowhere - not sure where exactly the beat dropped haha. I’ll see if I can arrange for a demo sometime soon

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #416 of 3,674
I’m not certain about the MEST. It generated a lot of hype, almost as if out of nowhere - not sure where exactly the beat dropped haha. I’ll see if I can arrange for a demo sometime soon

BGGAR recently pronounced it as the best sounding IEM on the market. He has a huge following on youtube, so that might be part of the reason for the renewed interest. Certainly attracted my attention.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #417 of 3,674
I think we have quite perfectly opposing preferences when it comes to the upper midrange :D my reviews could be almost useful to you in the sense that anything I dislike you’re likely to enjoy haha

yeah, just different sensitivities as everyone has.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #418 of 3,674
BGGAR recently pronounced it as the best sounding IEM on the market. He has a huge following on youtube, so that might be part of the reason for the renewed interest. Certainly attracted my attention.

Lol the fact that guy has people even take him seriously actually amazes me.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #420 of 3,674
Lol the fact that guy has people even take him seriously actually amazes me.

He certainly has some interesting mannerisms, but I enjoy watching some of his videos just to get some exposure on all the chi-fi models being released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back