RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jul 5, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #2,506 of 3,674
Andromeda & Solaris hiss on almost every DAP I own lol. The only 2 I’ve heard that don’t hiss with them are DMP-Z1 and DX220 Max. I’ve resorted to only using dongles with CA IEM’s to avoid hiss.

Even on the Shanling M8? I haven't heard a whiff of hiss on anything with that.

No other IEM I own or heard has this problem (Erlky is the next worse for hiss, but nowhere near as bad as Andro/Solaris) so I personally think the issue is CA 😄

VE8 can hiss like a sumbeatch too. I knew Solaris' rep for hiss when I went in so I always looked for DAPs that didn't hiss and it was never hard for me to find one. YMMV etc.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,507 of 3,674
Even on the Shanling M8? I haven't heard a whiff of hiss on anything with that.

VE8 can hiss like a sumbeatch too. I knew Solaris' rep for hiss when I went in so I always looked for DAPs that didn't hiss and it was never hard for me to find one. YMMV etc.
Yep even on the M8! Admittedly it’s very minimal, and only noticeable between songs. But I can’t unhear it now lol 😩

Hiss drives me nuts so maybe I’m more sensitive to it, but I still feel like CA can do more to improve this. And not only hiss, but also the impedance swings. I shouldn’t have to try a million different sources just to get the right bass output on my IEM’s 😂

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,508 of 3,674
The color schemes on the cases are too Miami for me too :D

I also hate things like these, and if I have to be honest (and even more shallow about it), I was initially very disappointed by the unboxing because of it. It's just too much of a China meme for me to be okay with it when talking about a DAP that I paid close to 2000$ for (**** you EU taxes). That being said, I've spent several hours with it now and it is pure audio bliss with both the Mason FuSang and the A18S. Combines that rich texture of the P6 Pro, the dynamics that R2R is famous for and to top it off does it with a way more balanced/neutral tonality that is suitable for a broader range of monitors

It might just be the best DAP I've heard so far at any price point (when considering both tonality and technical ability - and easily the greatest treble I've heard to date

Disclaimer: it is way, way easier to shill DAPs than it is to shill IEMs. Please don't judge the fact that most DAPs receive very positive reviews - after all I am evaluating them with some of my favourite IEMs to date, so it is much, much harder to mess that up especially considering you can already get excellent sound with a PAW S1 for around 150 euros
I had a feeling you’d enjoy the R01. It’s pretty damn great. My SP2000cu has been feeling very left out for the last week or two.

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,509 of 3,674
Andromeda & Solaris hiss on almost every DAP I own lol. The only 2 I’ve heard that don’t hiss with them are DMP-Z1 and DX220 Max. I’ve resorted to only using dongles with CA IEM’s to avoid hiss.

No other IEM I own or heard has this problem (Erlky is the next worse for hiss, but nowhere near as bad as Andro/Solaris) so I personally think the issue is CA 😄
Yes, I noticed the Erlky is super efficient, volume is at half to a third or so of my other IEMs. Only 10-15 on low gain with the DX300, crazy. And produces the most hiss of my collection, followed by Fourte. I don't have any experience with CA IEMs, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #2,510 of 3,674
Me doing my best surprised face as everyone suddenly realises R2R knocks the pants off other DACs.

200 (3).gif
I wouldn’t agree with that 100% because I’d take my PAW6000 over the R2R P6 Pro purely on tonality. While the technical ability on the latter is in a different tier, it sucked the treble out of too many IEMs to be viable as my only DAP

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #2,511 of 3,674
Me doing my best surprised face as everyone suddenly realises R2R knocks the pants off other DACs.

200 (3).gif
Dude, you gotta hear R01 with IE 900. Seriously. You would love it.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,512 of 3,674
This. And some people still blame the DAPs, then go telling everyone the DAP hisses. Drives me nuts.
Sorry to challenge you on everything today but if you take something like the HeadAmp GSX Mini (a pure headphone amp), any and every IEM will hiss when plugged in - while that isn't exactly a relevant example, I think the "truth" is somewhere in the middle where DAPs should be designed to handle decently sensitive IEMs, but realistically there's no point in losing sound quality and/or power to cater to manufacturers that make stupid sensitive IEMs

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #2,513 of 3,674
Sorry to challenge you on everything today but if you take something like the HeadAmp GSX Mini (a pure headphone amp), any and every IEM will hiss when plugged in - while that isn't exactly a relevant example, I think the "truth" is somewhere in the middle where DAPs should be designed to handle decently sensitive IEMs, but realistically there's no point in losing sound quality and/or power to cater to manufacturers that make stupid sensitive IEMs
I agree with this. IEMs shouldn't be made so sensitive that they hiss with virtually anything, but DAPs should also have as low a noise floor as possible without sacrificing power. Like you said, it's not one or the other's fault, but a balancing act.

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #2,514 of 3,674
Yeah I agree with this. I was mainly referring to CA IEMs in reply to @Damz87's comment, but I also agree with you that DAPs should be aiming for minimal noise floor as standard (and also not try to be everything to everyone and power difficult to drive headphones too). It's very much a balancing act as @Deezel177 says. Thankfully I'm either not that sensitive to hiss, or the IEMs I've gravitated towards haven't been sensitive enough to hiss on any DAP I own (R8 included).

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,515 of 3,674
Yeah I agree with this. I was mainly referring to CA IEMs in reply to @Damz87's comment, but I also agree with you that DAPs should be aiming for minimal noise floor as standard (and also not try to be everything to everyone and power difficult to drive headphones too). It's very much a balancing act as @Deezel177 says. Thankfully I'm either not that sensitive to hiss, or the IEMs I've gravitated towards haven't been sensitive enough to hiss on any DAP I own (R8 included).
Ugh, but the more power the BETTER!!!! Lol I definitely became a turbo-hoe and never reverted back.

[Also shameless plug, listed my R8 for those interested]

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,516 of 3,674
And another shameless plug, there is a Hiby R8 for sale in Europe too... :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #2,517 of 3,674
Ah yes, my eternal nemesis when trying to buy a DAP and desktop setup

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #2,519 of 3,674
Ugh, but the more power the BETTER!!!! Lol I definitely became a turbo-hoe and never reverted back.

As a fellow turbo-ho, we can take solace in the amount of power and current these Estats demand. I thought I was going to sell my MAX, then the Thummim came along and demanded submission. I'm on high, listening at 60%, and Thummim is singing, and taking no prisoners.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,520 of 3,674
R8's falling like flies 🙈 Was it something I said? 😝

PS. Mine will be listed just as soon as a suitable R2R challenger comes along.
I'm dreaming of something like the MAX, with tubes and R2R! Could the Shanling M30 add an R2R module down the road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back