4. iBasso DX320 Max Ti
5. Shanling M9+
6. Astell & Kern SP3000 SS
7. Astell & Kern SP3000 Cu
8. HiBy RS8
9. Sony WM1ZM2
10. Cayin N8ii

Oct 19, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #4,955 of 5,136
I haven't posted a list in a few months and I've had some time to reflect since CanJam. For IEMs at this level it's hard to "rank" them meaningfully as each excels at its own thing in its own way. Following are what for me constitute the elite of IEMs out there right now. Each has a different driver config and different strengths.

Any attempt for me to order these will be somewhat arbitrary so I’m listing them in Order by MSRP.

1) Noble Viking Damascus (DD/BA/e-stat) - I've been fortunate to have a few demos of this, first in NYC and again recently in SoCal. I always found the Ragnar fatiguing up top but this one has a stronger bass presence and an excellent sense of balance and completeness. Great treble, great bass, great mids, impeccable staging & peerless tech. I am inherently averse to the idea of a single "greatest IEM" but if I were forced to choose at gunpoint this woud be the one.

Shoutout: Elysian Annihilator (DD/BA/e-stat) - Treble tuning that tops everything on the market and like the Damascus makes a good case for being the ultimate "all rounder" IEM. Falls a little short in the bass though, it must be said.

2) Unique Melody Amber Pearl (BA/e-stat/BCD) - I've never been a huge fan of the UM sound but this one flat-out knocked my socks off in SoCal-- through the LP6 it is really something else. You just get sucked right into the midrange. I've never heard vocals so breathy, natural, evocatove, seductive. The price is insane and right out of my range but this is arguably the single most impressive experience I've had listening to an IEM.

3) Oriolus Traillii (BA/e-stat) - The legend, the one and only. This IEM needs no introduction and would be the first inductee into the Watercooler hall of fame if such a thing ever becomes reality. I try this again every chance I get just to see if it still has the magic and it never fails to seduce me. Effortlessly natural and transparent with a bass response that for me is surprisingly satisfying given that it lacks a DD.

Shoutout: Subtonic Storm (BA/e-stat) - This IEM also deserves mention in this category. Similar to Traillii except where the Storm is all about technical perfection and accuracy, the Bird goes for natural and emotive mids, which is more my jam. I can't deny Storm's greatness but it's a little dry for me. YMMV.

4) Vision Ears Phonix LE (13 BA) - As much as I love the EXT & Elysium this is so far the ultimate incarnation of VE's midrange tuning excellence IMHO.

5) Campfire Trifecta (3 DD) - A controversial choice for some, but not for me. Like the Subtonic Storm this is an IEM that is the result of a singular vision on the part of its creators. Class leading bass response & staging, impeccable timbre, more versatile than its given credit for-- the Trifecta is a masterpiece of bombastic, classic HIFI DD driven sound and one of the most singularly unique and satisfying sounding IEMs on the market right now. A little rough around the edges in places, but that's part of the charm and she's got it where it counts. If you want an indulgent bass response and DD sound at the highest level, look no further.

6) Camfire Bonneville (DD/BA) - For an IEM that wasn't even on my radar heading into SoCal the Bonneville has totally dominated my heart and ears in the weeks since. Unlike the Trifecta, whose unashamedly bombastic character will make untenable for some, the Bonneville is perhaps the most universally appealing and engaging incarnation of CFA's house sound yet. Bombastic, yet technical, in your face yet reserved, soulful, yet mature-- this IEM hits all the marks for me with no real false notes yet. For those who have been craving something resembling an "Andromeda with bass" your wish may have finally come true with the Bonneville. After much a/b'ing I came to the surpsing conclusion that I preferred this IEM to the VEX, which was my predicted show favorite heading into SoCal.

7) Nightjar Singularity (DD) - This is an IEM which has knocked the collective Watercooler's socks off in recent months. Bass pronounced yet supremely clear and satisfying in the mids and highs. Not as technical as some of the multi driver sets on this list but one of the most refined-in-the-tuning and overall satisfying single DD IEMs on the market right now.

Shoutout: Fir Electron 12 (DD) - I didn't fully consider this as it's not out yet and my experience with it has been limited. Impressions were very favorable for me in SoCal-- notable for it's relatively balanced tuning, satisfying deep bass and airy technical highs. Keep your eyes on this one down the road.

Other Notables - IEMs I love that have somehow been eclipsed for me or occupy a "second tier" relative to the ones above. Still excellent in their own right and will be preferred by many over my favorites above. No particular order.

Fir Rn6
Vision Ears X
Vision Ears EXT
Custom Art Fibae 5
Vision Ears Elysium
Dunu Zen Pro
Campfire Supermoon
Oriolus Monachaa
Campfire Audio Dorado 2020
Oriolus Isabellae
Penon Impact

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #4,956 of 5,136
During my business trip to Ukraine this week, I stopped by the ambient acoustic lab, and tried their flagship model - the mad 24 iem which has 24 BA drivers per ear. I really liked it and bought it.
It has a reference sound and it has top-notch performance in all categories.
I have a Sony ier z1r and it will be good alternative for me.
About Ambient Acoustic, the MAD 16 model (universal version) is one of the very best iem I have had the pleasure to listen to.

Supremely balanced, natural, hyper revealing, hyper detailed, hyper fast, really powerful (no joke)... and ultimately, musical : home run.

Endgame realm in my book. 👍

Cable : Ares S Founders Edition and m1p dap.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #4,957 of 5,136
Oooh, it depends on which IEM I’m using… But a general enjoyment list would be:

1. Sony DMP-Z1
2. L&P LP6 Ti 7AE
3. Cayin N30LE
4. iBasso DX320 Max Ti
5. Shanling M9+
8. HiBy RS8
9. Sony WM1ZM2
10. Cayin N8ii
You forgot to mention the Apple Dongle. 😎

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #4,958 of 5,136
I would love to hear the madoo typ821. had the viking ragnar for a week and while it was extremely impressive technically I didn't enjoy the sound signature enough to justify the expense. I did really really like the 2021 Annihilator but the fit didn't work for my ear. do you think the madoo might scratch that top tier treble itch?
Typ821 is harder to drive than Ragnar, it sounded more natural and 'right' to my ears. It has a nice balanced tuning that and more coherent/linear than Ragnar or Anni which both have a more W-shaped sound character. It requires power just like Anni, and given extra amplification it scales making the sound larger more expanded. The nozzle if you've seen it has more of an elliptical shape rather than round. It seals better and more securely to my ears but YMMV

1697973211472.jpg

Is the Sony WF-1000XM5 that high because of sound or total convenience, everything combined :) ?
The sound and especially the bass and mids are great. It sounded 'correct' tonally, and technically is more than capable. Its SQ punches way above its price, very good imaging and layering. Bass quality is superb; engaging, impactful and punchy, unlike most TWS which often sounded lacking in power/volume. Its portability and noise cancelling are a convenient bonus that is nice to have too :) I also like the seal the stock foam tips provide. The mesh filter and foam material tame much of the harshness in the treble field, making it sound smoother up top while addIng that physical feel and fullness in the bass volume

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #4,959 of 5,136
Oooh, it depends on which IEM I’m using… But a general enjoyment list would be:

1. Sony DMP-Z1
2. L&P LP6 Ti 7AE
3. Cayin N30LE
4. iBasso DX320 Max Ti
5. Shanling M9+
8. HiBy RS8
9. Sony WM1ZM2
10. Cayin N8ii
Bruh just called us poor in 10 different ways :skull::skull::skull:

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #4,960 of 5,136
Nov 13, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #4,961 of 5,136
After listening to the Moondrop S8, i am putting that one as well in my Ranking

1. IER-M9 (+EP-NI1000)
  2. IER-Z1R
  3. FitEar TG335
  4. Final A8000
  5. Moondrop S8 (+MIS T55)
  6. CHIKYU-SEKAI 5/COSMOS e-earphone Edition
  7. FiiO FA9 (+MIS T55)
  8. Vision Ears EXT
  9. Acoustune HS1300SS
  10. Final E5000
  11. Final A4000
@Vamp898 I was always been curious on CHIKYU-SEKAI 5/COSMOS e-earphone Edition, is it different from TG334?
I adore my TG334 (new blue model) and always tempted by TG335 also…

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #4,962 of 5,136
It's been less than a year since I bought my first IEM (Variations) but I have tried quite a bit in that time.

This list will likely change as I only received the Annihilator, Monarch MKIII, and Diva recently. I own the top 5 and Meteor, and sold the Helios SE, Monarch MKII, and Variations.

1) U12t
2) Elysian Annihilator 2023
3) Monarch MKIII
4) Sony IER-Z1R
5) Elysian Diva
6) Helios SE
7) Monarch MKII
8) Moondrop Variations
9) Symphonium Meteor

Bass - IER-Z1R (only improvement would be more sub-bass)
Lower mids - Monarch MKII / Elysian Diva
Upper mids - Most of these IEMs do upper mids and female vocals very well.
Treble - Annihilator 2023 (the best by a mile)

Detail - Annihilator
Imaging - U12t
Soundstage - IER-Z1R
Dynamics - Annihilator / U12t

Others I have listened to but not owned so not comfortable giving a firm ranking to:
- Empire Ears Odin, would rank very highly and has better male vocals than any of the top 3 on my list.
- Subtonic Storm, listened to this three times but never all that impressed for the price. To my ears it sounds extremely similar to the Monarch MKII. Need to give them a proper listen on my new HiBy R6 Pro II.
- Fir RN6, very very good. Had a slight tinniness but that may be fixed by tip rolling. This would rank highly.
- Fir XE6, preferred the RN6. XE6 sounds too boomy.
- Kinera Loki Emerald, good but need to spend more time with it. Nothing stood out to me.
- Symphonium Crimson, prefer it to the Helios SE and it has more mid bass which the Helios lacked. However, I struggle with the fit of all Symphonium IEMs.
- Nightjar Singularity, shell is just way too small and is a non-starter. Also looks way too cheap for the price. Sounds decent though.
- Sennheiser IE600, would rank at the bottom. Lower mids are non-existent.
- Sennheiser IE900. decent but meh.
- QDC Anole VX and V14, both were very good and I couldn't really tell them apart in the short time I had with them.
- FatFreq Maestro SE, had nice bass but very soft treble that didn't have much detail.
- Letshouer EJ07M, best value IEM I have heard. Beautiful vocals but lacking a lot of bass. Bit small for my ears but maybe some larger tips would fix that.
- Thieaudio V16, better than the Monarch MKII and actually has decent bass and dynamics.
- 64 Audio U4s, very good and bass is more engaging than the U12t. Need to spend more time with it but it could be the smart pick of the 64A lineup.

Update, Elysian Anni definitely moves up to number 1 for me.

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #4,963 of 5,136
Somewhat lazy top list in so much as it is not done in close proximity to a large comp listening like CJ London or the like.

1) Subtonic Storm - just top to bottom even and open sounding. Sound was exceptionally natural and clean sounding. You forget your listening to IEMs and just melt into the sound. I had resisted these for the longest time given the price but after a rather long demo in London it is hands down my favorite. If I had 5k plus laying around looking for a home I'd be searching for a pair of these.
2) Synphonium Crimson - auditioned a ton of IEMs at London CJ and came away with these. The stage is immense for an IEM, bass is world class and redefines BA bass and vocals are stunning as well. Heck not as top shelf as the Storm but at 1/3 (or less) it's a great compromise to my wallet.
3) Elysian Annihilator - stunning but just a touch fatiguing to me. World class sound but with a touch too much sizzle but again in a world of limitless funds these would be great when I wanted a bit of excitement.
4) 64 Audio U12t just all around great, not as transparent as the Crimson but you can listen to these for days without comfort issues or listening fatigue. Very nice bass and midrange. Stage is a bit up front and somewhat flat compared to all above
5) Canpur Cp622b - maybe the worst naming convention in IEMs (save for Sony). Great midrange and uses a bone conducting driver for this. Under represented but great IEM IMO
6) Final D8000 - really FUN ride- dynamics champion and cuts a little to close for comfort with the treble presentation but wow when presented with the right music it's killer
7) Sony M9 - these are the budget champion with so many good qualities, supremely comfortable (unlike their big brother) great minds and bass, treble is good but not the last word. At 600-700 USD used these are bullet proof, great sounding and comfortable IEMs. Every time I think of selling them I back out after listening to them again.
8) UM Mest mk2 - great sounding set not the last word in anything but fun listen
9) Blessing 2 - another value champion, slightly thin presentation but for the money tough to beat

I am sure the list will evolve in the future :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #4,964 of 5,136
Here's a top-7 list from what I've owned (and not just heard- as the loud and short Canjam audit sessions tell you nothing):

1. 64 Audio u12t
2. Unique Melody MEST Indigo
3. Sony IER-Z1R
4. Unique Melody MEXT
5. 64 Audio u4s
6. 64 Audio Trio
7. Unique Melody MEST mk2

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #4,965 of 5,136
Current favorites :)
① Elysian Diva
② Aroma Audio Fei Wan
③ Sony WF-1000XM5