Rank the IEM's you've heard
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #4,922 of 5,136
It's been less than a year since I bought my first IEM (Variations) but I have tried quite a bit in that time.

This list will likely change as I only received the Annihilator, Monarch MKIII, and Diva recently. I own the top 5 and Meteor, and sold the Helios SE, Monarch MKII, and Variations.

1) U12t
2) Elysian Annihilator 2023
3) Monarch MKIII
4) Sony IER-Z1R
5) Elysian Diva
6) Helios SE
7) Monarch MKII
8) Moondrop Variations
9) Symphonium Meteor

Bass - IER-Z1R (only improvement would be more sub-bass)
Lower mids - Monarch MKII / Elysian Diva
Upper mids - Most of these IEMs do upper mids and female vocals very well.
Treble - Annihilator 2023 (the best by a mile)

Detail - Annihilator
Imaging - U12t
Soundstage - IER-Z1R
Dynamics - Annihilator / U12t

Others I have listened to but not owned so not comfortable giving a firm ranking to:
- Empire Ears Odin, would rank very highly and has better male vocals than any of the top 3 on my list.
- Subtonic Storm, listened to this three times but never all that impressed for the price. To my ears it sounds extremely similar to the Monarch MKII. Need to give them a proper listen on my new HiBy R6 Pro II.
- Fir RN6, very very good. Had a slight tinniness but that may be fixed by tip rolling. This would rank highly.
- Fir XE6, preferred the RN6. XE6 sounds too boomy.
- Kinera Loki Emerald, good but need to spend more time with it. Nothing stood out to me.
- Symphonium Crimson, prefer it to the Helios SE and it has more mid bass which the Helios lacked. However, I struggle with the fit of all Symphonium IEMs.
- Nightjar Singularity, shell is just way too small and is a non-starter. Also looks way too cheap for the price. Sounds decent though.
- Sennheiser IE600, would rank at the bottom. Lower mids are non-existent.
- Sennheiser IE900. decent but meh.
- QDC Anole VX and V14, both were very good and I couldn't really tell them apart in the short time I had with them.
- FatFreq Maestro SE, had nice bass but very soft treble that didn't have much detail.
- Letshouer EJ07M, best value IEM I have heard. Beautiful vocals but lacking a lot of bass. Bit small for my ears but maybe some larger tips would fix that.
- Thieaudio V16, better than the Monarch MKII and actually has decent bass and dynamics.
- 64 Audio U4s, very good and bass is more engaging than the U12t. Need to spend more time with it but it could be the smart pick of the 64A lineup.

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #4,924 of 5,136
Didn't get the chance to try a lot but heres what I have

Technicality: moondrop s8
Vocals: Thieaudio oracle
Bass: fatfreq meastro mini

sold my fearless s8f not long ago but it is a fantastic V-shape iem. Tried the Blessing 3 before but bass is a little bit lacking to my taste. Would grab the B3dusk if they change the face plate as one of my friends got the B3 not long ago but has a ton of micro scratches on them despite being very careful (he puts them back in the pouch every time he finishes using them and never took them outdoor).

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #4,925 of 5,136
A few comments on my taste: I prefer a warmer sound but with a clean low-end, the mid-bass can't be too much (like Meteor). I don't like bright, splashy headphones (IE600), but I appreciate the technicalities if they come along with this type of tuning (MEST and Variations). I have owned or listened to all of these IEMs long enough to be able to reliably compare their sound.

1 64 Audio U12t (these and all below are S-level)
2 Sony IER-Z1R
3 Softears Twilight
4 64 Audio U4s
5 Yanyin Canon
6 Audeze LCDi4 (w/ Cipher) (A-level)
7 Shuoer S12 Pro
8 TANGZU Wu Zetian
9 Unique Melody MEST MK2
10 Raptgo Hook-X
11 Moondrop Variations (B-level)
12 Sony XBA-N3
13 Dunu SA6
14 DUNU Vulkan
15 7Hz Timeless
16 Xenns UP
17 Aful Performer 5
18 TRI Starsea (C-Level)
19 Shuoer EJ07M Kinda Lava
20 Symphonium Audio Meteor
21 iBasso IT01X
22 Craft Ears Craft 4
23 CCA CRA
24 Tripowin x HBB Olina
25 Tanchjim Oxygen
27 AudioSense T800
28 Sennheiser IE600
29 TinHifi T3 Plus (D-level)
30 Blon BL03
31 Tripowin x HBB Mele
32 Tin T4 (fail level)
33 Moondrop Starfield
34 NS Audio NS5MKII
You don't like bright but you put S12Pro near the top and put IE600 towards the bottom. I own both and my experience is pretty much the complete opposite. Shows you how subjective this all is.

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #4,926 of 5,136
You don't like bright but you put S12Pro near the top and put IE600 towards the bottom. I own both and my experience is pretty much the complete opposite. Shows you how subjective this all is.

S12 are an example of earphones where I don't mind them being slightly brighter. For my ears they are not that shouty and both bass and midrange compensate for this well. IE600s are shouty and thin, with no warmth in midrange. Probably surprising to many I also don't find their bass full and pleasing at all.

If you look at the graphs you can see that the trebles are peeking in different frequencies. Maybe we perceive the "shoutiness" more in other places...
https://hbb.squig.link/?share=Bad_Guy_2022_Target,Sennheiser_IE600,Shuoer_s12_pro

Of course, it is subjective, that's why we should listen ourselves :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #4,927 of 5,136
I haven't heard many IEMs, or very high end ones, but:

Truthear Hexa>7Hz Timeless>KZ ZEX>Apple earpods (not airpods)>Truthear Hola ($20 apple headphones with a decent little amp and some EQ are surprisingly non crap)

Yes, I like the Hexa better than the 2+ times more expensive timeless. Timeless are good but they've always been too bright for me and ever so slightly shouty whereas with the Hexa I can listen for hours with no fatigue so it's a better overall experience for me.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #4,928 of 5,136
S12 are an example of earphones where I don't mind them being slightly brighter. For my ears they are not that shouty and both bass and midrange compensate for this well. IE600s are shouty and thin, with no warmth in midrange. Probably surprising to many I also don't find their bass full and pleasing at all.

If you look at the graphs you can see that the trebles are peeking in different frequencies. Maybe we perceive the "shoutiness" more in other places...
https://hbb.squig.link/?share=Bad_Guy_2022_Target,Sennheiser_IE600,Shuoer_s12_pro

Of course, it is subjective, that's why we should listen ourselves :)
I don't care about graphs. Meaningless to me. The Sennheisers are hardly BRITE--that's ridiculous. the S12's are planar brite--you either like them or you don't--but they BRITE!!!

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #4,929 of 5,136
I don't care about graphs. Meaningless to me. The Sennheisers are hardly BRITE--that's ridiculous. the S12's are planar brite--you either like them or you don't--but they BRITE!!!

I disagree and don't find it ridiculous tbh. For some people I know the Sennheisers are also borderline bright. Even most of the reviewers agree with that.
The same applies to headphones like Meze 109 Pro: I personally can't stand their shrill treble, a friend from my audio store hates them even more, but some find them "neutral".
As I said: we perceive some notes differently, especially with IEMs where ear canal shape changes a lot.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #4,930 of 5,136
Interesting to see Canon in S tier. Can you describe how it sounds?

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #4,931 of 5,136
Worst to Best

JBL Endurance Run > Final e1000 > Fostex TE04 > Fiio JH3 > TFZ My Love 2 > Hifiman RE800 Silver

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #4,932 of 5,136
Interesting to see Canon in S tier. Can you describe how it sounds?

Analogue, very dynamic, with tasteful bass and full immersion in the music. The detail and technicals are not top shelf, but good enough not to be distracting. For me they are a textbook example of "guilty pleasure".
Also provide a lot of fun with switches.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #4,933 of 5,136
Updated the list a little
("<" is below expectations, ">" is above)

NameTierExpectations vs reality
64 Audio U12tS
Sony IER-Z1RS>
Softears TwilightS>>
64 Audio U4sA>
Yanyin CanonA>>
Audeze LCDi4 (with Cipher)A
Shuoer S12 ProA>
Tangzu Wu ZetianA>
Unique Melody MEST MK2A<
Raptgo Hook-XB
Moondrop VariationsB<
Sony XBA-N3B
Dunu SA6B>
ISN H40B
Dunu VulkanB>
7Hz TimelessB>
Aful Performer 5C
Xenns UPC<<
Shuoer EJ07M Kinda LavaC<<
Fearless Audio S8ZC<
Aful Performer 8C
Symphonium Audio MeteorC<<
iBasso IT01XC>>
TRI StarseaD
Craft Ears Craft 4D>
ISN EST50D<
FiiO FH7D
Sennheiser IE600D<<
CCA CRAD>>
Tripowin x HBB OlinaE<
Tanchjim OxygenE
Juzear 41TE<<
AudioSense T800E
TinHifi T3 PlusE
Blon BL03E>
Tripowin x HBB MeleE<
Shanling AE3E<
Tin T4F
Kinera IDUNF
Moondrop StarfieldF<<
NS Audio NS5MKIIF

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #4,934 of 5,136
Updated the list a little
("<" is below expectations, ">" is above)

NameTierExpectations vs reality
64 Audio U12tS
Sony IER-Z1RS>
Softears TwilightS>>
64 Audio U4sA>
Yanyin CanonA>>
Audeze LCDi4 (with Cipher)A
Shuoer S12 ProA>
Tangzu Wu ZetianA>
Unique Melody MEST MK2A<
Raptgo Hook-XB
Moondrop VariationsB<