Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #3,271 of 5,136
Jul 7, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,273 of 5,136
1a. Sony IER-Z1R - Best bass and treble I've heard to date, unfortunately could never adjust to fit. Wish the mids were more forward but just tuning preference.
1b. 64A u12t (M15 Module) - Most well rounded between technical and enjoyable. What I wanted the Andromeda OG to sound like but didn't get. Also when I thought nobody could do BA bass better than the M9 this one ups it.
2. 64A Nio (FiR Atom XL N0 Module) - Perfect daily driver, has the most correct tonality from a hybrid that I've heard to date without something weird going on from transition of the DD to BA mids. Decent technicalities for laid back listening and non fatigue sessions.
3. Sony IER-M9 - Technically better than the Nio, but dynamically compressed and somewhat sterile/boring sounding. They are meant for stage monitoring though so can't blame them. Immense value for sound at the kilobuck price range.
4. Sony EX1000 - Undisputed king of single DD engineering for me. Ability to scale macrodynamics, imaging, and soundstage (cheats by basically being open back) are key highlights even 10 years after release. Twin peaks in treble though that can get sibilant depending on tip choice and insertion depth. Perhaps the IE900 can unseat these from the throne if I get a chance to demo in the future
5. Beyerdynamic Xelento - A better EX800st but doesn't have the wow factor of the EXK. Probably the most comfortable IEM ever due to unique shape.
6. Noble Katana - Slightly more enjoyable tuning preference over Andro OG. The Bose of high end IEMs - doesn't do anything particularly outstanding but also such a safe tuning it doesn't do anything outrageously wrong either.
7. CA Andromeda OG - The first IEM since the EXK to blow my mind. Tank build that was uncommon at the time for most IEMs. Way too fussy about OI and source, sounded noticeably different for better or worse on any different source.
8. Aurisonics Harmony - The first hybrid I truly liked as a closet basshead - basically a more refined ASG 2.5, unforunately it broke. Fender refused to fix it. RIP
9. Shure SE846 - Changed my mind that BA's can't do subbass, great mids. Nonexistant treble.
9. CA Polaris V1 - What the Z5 would have been if the midbass didn't leak into the mids as much. Male vocals sort of missing though. Great upper mids and treble though.
10. Sony XBA-Z5 - Extremely dark sound but was also enjoyable if accuracy isn't the most important to you. More painful fit than EXK. Amazing build.
11. Empire Ears Spartan IV - My first encounter with interchangeable modules, pretty good reference sound.
12. Etymotic ER4XR - Probably the best single BA I've heard to date but boring. Isolates and removes more noise than any ANC ever could.
13. CA Orion - Not as technical as the ER4 but I really liked the mids on these.

There's a lot more stuff I've tried over the years but off the top of my head these come to mind as the most memorable.

Shortlist to try in the future: EE Odin, VE8, UM Mest MKII, Andromeda 2020/S/MW10, Solaris OG/2020/SE/Astell&Kern, IE900, Bird

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #3,274 of 5,136
Okay so inserting a table isn't gonna work, so here's a screenshot of my broken down ranking list with scores out of 10 for each category:

Untitled.jpg
Holy crap this is incredible.

thanks, dude.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,275 of 5,136
With the exception of those marked with an asterisk, I've owned all the IEMs on this list.

Personal favourites in bold.

Tier 1.1
  • *Sony IER-Z1R

Tier 1.2
  • Sony IER-M9

Tier 2.1
  • UM MEST

Tier 2.2
  • Sony XBA-Z5
  • Moondrop Variations

Tier 2.3
  • ISN EST50
  • Hyla CE-5

Tier 3.1
  • AK T8iE MKII
  • iBasso IT03
  • Sony XBA-N3
  • ISN H40 (mesh modded)
  • ThieAudio Clairvoyance
  • Fearless S8F
  • Sony EX1000
  • iBasso IT04

Tier 3.2
  • FiiO FD5
  • UM 3DT
  • Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk
  • *Campfire Andromeda OG
  • *Campfire Solaris OG

Tier 3.3
  • Tanchjim Hana 2021
  • *Campfire Atlas
  • LZ A5

Tier 4.1
  • *Ikko OH10
  • LZ A4
  • Oriolus Forsteni
  • FLC 8N

Tier 4.3
  • FiiO FD3
  • TRI i3 (mesh modded)

Tier 5.1
  • iBasso IT01
  • *Final E5000

Tier 5.2
  • Periodic Be

Tier 6
  • BLON BL-03

Updated 20.12.21

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #3,277 of 5,136
Tier 1.1
  • *Sony IER-Z1R

Tier 1.2
  • Sony IER-M9

Tier 1.3
  • Hyla CE-5

Tier 2.1
  • ISN H40 (mesh mod)

Tier 2.2
  • Fearless S8F
  • Sony EX1000
  • ThieAudio Clairvoyance
  • iBasso IT04

Tier 3.1
  • Sony XBA-Z5
  • LZ A5

Tier 3.2
  • *Campfire Andromeda OG
  • Ikko OH1S (inner vent taped)
  • FiiO FD5

Tier 4.1
  • AK T8iE MKII
  • *Campfire Atlas
  • *Campfire Solaris OG

Tier 4.2
  • iBasso IT03
  • Sony XBA-N3
  • Oriolus Forsteni

Tier 5
  • LZ A4
  • *Ikko OH10
  • TRI i3
  • FLC 8N

Tier 6
  • iBasso IT01
  • Periodic Be
  • *Final E5000

Tier 7
  • BLON BL-03

With the exception of those marked with an asterisk, I've owned all the IEMs on this list.

Favourite IEMs from each tier in bold.

Hi could I ask why do you use the Ikko OH1S with an inner vent tape? To salvage the tuning?

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #3,278 of 5,136
Hi could I ask why do you use the Ikko OH1S with an inner vent tape? To salvage the tuning?

Pretty much. The bass roll-off that has been noted by other reviewers is real.

There are two vents on the OH1S: one along its edge, and one on the inner faceplate facing the nozzle. Taping the inner vent increases its bass presence significantly, and basically has the opposite effect of opening the front vent on the Periodic Be (decreasing its bass presence), as documented by crinacle here. I used micropore tape to allow for some venting. You can also prick a hole in the tape to calibrate the amount of bass depending on the size of the hole (larger = less bass).

Once taped, they're a direct upgrade to the OH10 to my ears, with much better technicalities, and a more pleasingly even-handed tuning.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #3,280 of 5,136
Okay so inserting a table isn't gonna work, so here's a screenshot of my broken down ranking list with scores out of 10 for each category:

Untitled.jpg
Thanks for your astonishing list!!

Quick question about ODINs mids. What are you missing here? Or do you rate the mids so low because they are too much for your liking?

Same for the treble, why do you rate the ODINs here only at 7?

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #3,281 of 5,136
Where is U18s/A18s? lol
I decided to remove A18s because I suspect the demo unit I had was either faulty or there was some sort of unit variation. Hoping to hear a proper U18s eventually lol

Thanks for your astonishing list!!

Quick question about ODINs mids. What are you missing here? Or do you rate the mids so low because they are too much for your liking?

Same for the treble, why do you rate the ODINs here only at 7?
Yeah it’s really just a preference thing. Odin upper mids can get a little intense for me at times and I would’ve preferred them scaled back just a tad. They are also quite dry tonally, and I’d prefer a touch more wetness. For the treble, I’d ideally like a little more upper treble forwardness.

Again, it’s purely preference and ultimately they are minor issues, as I still rate Odin as one of the best IEM’s I’ve heard :)

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #3,282 of 5,136
I decided to remove A18s because I suspect the demo unit I had was either faulty or there was some sort of unit variation. Hoping to hear a proper U18s eventually lol

Yeah it’s really just a preference thing. Odin upper mids can get a little intense for me at times and I would’ve preferred them scaled back just a tad. They are also quite dry tonally, and I’d prefer a touch more wetness. For the treble, I’d ideally like a little more upper treble forwardness.

Again, it’s purely preference and ultimately they are minor issues, as I still rate Odin as one of the best IEM’s I’ve heard :)
That’s perfectly understandable and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I think it is still an honor for the ODINs to be ranked 3rd in that „list of the kings“… :beerchug:

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,283 of 5,136
Tier 1.1
  • *Sony IER-Z1R

Tier 1.2
  • Sony IER-M9

Tier 1.3
  • Hyla CE-5

Tier 2.1
  • ISN H40 (mesh mod)

Tier 2.2
  • Fearless S8F
  • Sony EX1000
  • ThieAudio Clairvoyance
  • iBasso IT04

Tier 3.1
  • Sony XBA-Z5
  • LZ A5

Tier 3.2
  • *Campfire Andromeda OG
  • Ikko OH1S (inner vent taped)
  • FiiO FD5

Tier 4.1
  • AK T8iE MKII
  • *Campfire Atlas
  • *Campfire Solaris OG

Tier 4.2
  • iBasso IT03
  • Sony XBA-N3
  • Oriolus Forsteni

Tier 5
  • LZ A4
  • *Ikko OH10
  • TRI i3
  • FLC 8N

Tier 6
  • iBasso IT01
  • Periodic Be
  • *Final E5000

Tier 7
  • BLON BL-03

Favourite IEMs from each tier in bold.
Totally agree with you on the ISN H40 with mesh mod. Awesome bang for Buck SQ. If I didn't't have the IER Z1R on hand I'd be more than happy with to keep this IEM in my collection.

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #3,284 of 5,136
Totally agree with you on the ISN H40 with mesh mod. Awesome bang for Buck SQ. If I didn't't have the IER Z1R on hand I'd be more than happy with to keep this IEM in my collection.

Incidentally, the IER-Z1R is the only >~$500 IEM on my list that I personally consider worth their price of entry, and plan on owning eventually. The IER-M9 are impeccable tonally and technically for their price too IMO, but it's clearly tuned as a studio monitor, and I need that DD. Haven't heard any of the Empire Ears lineup, to be fair, and am keen to hear the new Mangird XENNS UP and Tansio Mirai Land, but I suspect it's going to be hard to beat the value proposition the modded H40 has to offer (or a used Sony XBA-Z5, for that matter).

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,285 of 5,136
New updated version - July 2021

My experience is fairly limited with IEM's although I am gaining more experience as time goes by.

My Top 10 is based on IEM's that I own or have owned, obviously I am unable to comment on something I have not heard.

I can sometimes struggle with fit in my right ear. Everything I have ever tried fits my left ear.
Damn why was I born with a defective right ear canal?

1) VE8 Anniversary edition (Bonus, the best fitting IEM I have ever experienced) fits first time, every time. Plug n play, no adjustments needed for phenomenal sound. Awesome! Kind of my Goldilocks IEM atm.

2) Sony IER Z1R (Probably the worst fitting IEM I have ever experienced) If they ever did a mark 11 in a smaller form factor I would be all over this in a heart beat! Still can't deny the great SQ. Bass and treble especially good IMHO

3) Audeze LCDi4 (not sure if this qualifies as an IEM. Loved the sound with EQ, hated the ear hooks. Kept on breaking and costly to replace. Replaced with LCD 4Z

4) 64 Audio Nio (M20 was my module of choice) Played awesome with my library. Good all rounder with nice hybrid tuning. Probably had the worst stock cable I have ever encountered. Sounded noticeably better with the Eletech Socrates 4.4 cable. Tips often left in my ear with this IEM for some reason.

5) 64 Audio U12T (M20 was my module of choice) Superbly balanced tuning. Didn't really do anything wrong but also didn't give me many real wow moments. I appreciated it's tuning but ultimately it was a bit on the safe side for me.

6) Oriolus Isabellae. Just edged out of a top 5 spot for me which given it's price is quite an achievement. With it's easy listening, natural, coherent tuning I can see this appealing to a broad spectrum of listeners.

7) Mest Mk11 (Sounded amazing sometimes. Was it the Bone conduction driver?)Too tip/fit depending for sound for me to keep long term. Would have placed higher if more consistent. When it was good it was really good!

8) Empire Ears Phantom (A little bit big for my ears struggled with obtaining a proper seal and would often leave tips in my right ear) first hour or so of listening was great until the seal was broken.

9) JH Audio Layla AION (I Would love to hear this with a balanced cable upgrade) Im considering this option right now but its a very costly upgrade for sure and I might be better off putting the funds to my future end game purchase instead.Edit Now sold. Decided the cable would be too risky/costly investment.

10) ISN H40 Mesh Mod (My price to performance King) nothing to dislike here if you enjoy a Bassy, full, musical sounding IEM with decent details and a fatigue free listening experience. It does remind me of the Sony IER Z1R at times. Fits great too!

Now dropped outside the Top10

11) Kinera Nanna (Really enjoyed the sound of this IEM but I did struggle with fit so it had to go)

12) KBEAR Believe (Another price to performance contender) needs a lot of power to shine but rewards you when provide it.

IEM's that didn't make the Top 10 (Regrets, Ive had a few, but then again, too few to mention)

Orivetti OH500
Westone W80
Mangird Tea

Things I would like to try if CanJam comes back to the UK or the opportunity presents itself somehow.

Noble Sultan LE
Oriolus T
Elysium
ERLKONiG
EE Odin
MMR Balmung
Final Dita SK
Solaris 2020 SE
Solaris X
64 Audio U18s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back