Rank the IEM's you've heard
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,846 of 5,136
The Sennheiser IE800 original punches well above its weight. It has done well to hold its own among the developments in recent years, even against its bigger brother the IE800S. The bass is nowhere near as visceral as the Atlas, but its overall signature is great and the treble spike can be fixed with EQ.

The next pair of TOTL IEMs I look at will hopefully be of a similar signature, but fuller, more impactful, somewhat more musical (a bit of a downfall with the IE800s) hence I am eying off the 64Audio Tia Trio.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,847 of 5,136
Owned the vega before the atlas, prefer the atlas for the bass :D

Ideally under $1000 USD, yeah i can get the IE800 for a steal ($460 USD) so might pull the trigger on them (brand new from a retailer.

Any recommendations for bass heavy IEMs (but still punchy and more sub than mid bass).

Thanks!

If you get a chance to try any of Hyla’s hybrids, they might be to your liking (CE-5 or the upcoming TE-5T/TE-5B) - and they should all be just under $1000. Beyerdynamic Xelento is a nice V-shaped IEM, and I personally also like the Lime Ears Aether (though it’ll be a bit over budget - unless you can find one used?). 64audio and Empire are... expensive.

Actually, if you’re okay with giving up a bit on mids, the CE-5 does bass really well.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,848 of 5,136
The Sennheiser IE800 original punches well above its weight. It has done well to hold its own among the developments in recent years, even against its bigger brother the IE800S. The bass is nowhere near as visceral as the Atlas, but its overall signature is great and the treble spike can be fixed with EQ.

The next pair of TOTL IEMs I look at will hopefully be of a similar signature, but fuller, more impactful, somewhat more musical (a bit of a downfall with the IE800s) hence I am eying off the 64Audio Tia Trio.
What about the 64 Audio U8's, from what i've read the 4 drivers for bass has some crazy kick

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,849 of 5,136
If you get a chance to try any of Hyla’s hybrids, they might be to your liking (CE-5 or the upcoming TE-5T/TE-5B) - and they should all be just under $1000. Beyerdynamic Xelento is a nice V-shaped IEM, and I personally also like the Lime Ears Aether (though it’ll be a bit over budget - unless you can find one used?). 64audio and Empire are... expensive.

Actually, if you’re okay with giving up a bit on mids, the CE-5 does bass really well.

Tried looking everywhere for a CE-5 can't find any retailers in Aus or the US selling them?

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,850 of 5,136
Tried looking everywhere for a CE-5 can't find any retailers in Aus or the US selling them?

I doubt there are too many unused ones floating around. They’re sold out at my local distributor (he just has the demo model, which apparently a LOT of people have offered to buy).

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #1,851 of 5,136
@Medikill: If the budget can’t leap into the stratospheric heights needed to acquire the Tias or even Fourtes, the U8s will be the next option.

I need big bass, but also looking for a step up in details, timbre, mids and vocals.

The IE800 has been a good stand in but lemme tell you its form factor has begun the steady process at eating away at my resolve.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #1,852 of 5,136
I doubt there are too many unused ones floating around. They’re sold out at my local distributor (he just has the demo model, which apparently a LOT of people have offered to buy).
According to their website, it appears it's been discontinued.... What a pity :/

@Medikill: If the budget can’t leap into the stratospheric heights needed to acquire the Tias or even Fourtes, the U8s will be the next option.

I need big bass, but also looking for a step up in details, timbre, mids and vocals.

The IE800 has been a good stand in but lemme tell you its form factor has begun the steady process at eating away at my resolve.
As do i mate haha, bass > mids > treble, at times i found the atlas to be too sibilant, typical basshead i guess \_(._.)_/

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #1,854 of 5,136
I will update my list accordingly soon, but currently auditioning my brother’s Oriolus mk IIs.

The overall sound signature errs on the dark side. The bass is punchy, impactful and fast. Sometimes too fast. They are also a lot more musical than the original IE800. I’m quite drawn to their fullness overall, but if I were to own these I’d still be yearning for something more.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,855 of 5,136
1. KSE1500
2. Andro/Andro S
3. Katana
4. U18t
4. U12t
5. Kaiser Encore
6. ESR
7. Legend X
8. ER4SR
9. Atlas
10. IT04
11 Tia Fourte
12. Savanna
13. Phantom
1. KSE1500
2. Solaris, Andro/Andro S
4. Katana
5. U18t
6. U12t
7. Kaiser Encore
8. ESR
9. Tia Fourte
10. ER4SR
11. Atlas
12. Legend X
13. IT04
14. Savanna
15. Phantom

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #1,858 of 5,136
One of the most practical & helful threads on head fi. It’s impresive that brand loyalty is transcended by many. I might struggle with that.

Has a statistical consensus arisen?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #1,859 of 5,136
I'm just going to say that IE800 is slowly fading away from my personal top ten IEMs, being pushed by Campfire Atlas, RE2000 Silver, and RE800Silver, which are better on an overall level (detail, clarity, soundstage, instrument separation, balance of sound)

George,

would anything change in your view, if manufacturing quality was factored in (build, longevity) or is that presupposed? I continue to enjoy your writing style at blog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back