Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jul 13, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #1,546 of 5,197
I also own the Atlas (Mostly listen to EDM/tiny bit of hip hop) What do you recommend. Kaiser Encores or Atlas? What are the differences? I know the Encores are more clear and have more detail and clarity but does that make it sound too thin? How does the bass compare? Thanks! basically which is earbud that u listen to more. Which is more fun

Having used to be into EDM a little myself and also been to multiple venues and EDC with my ex, I think the Atlas will suit your needs.

You want to emulate the feeling of a live venue, imperfect, energetic, excitement, and grandeur. The Atlas will help you do that. It’s also has a lot of good bass and is very musical which compliments the genre really well. I don’t think you can do better for EDM unless you look into the Andromeda, Legend X or Xelento. You want something that’s energetic and slightly V-shaped (I realize the Andromeda is not but it has excellent extension was plays well into more complex EDM tracks while sounding extremely musical).

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,547 of 5,197
Having tried a few iems, these are my choices.

1. UM mentor v3. Details in heaps. Only the flamenco can come close
2. Jomo flamenco. Slightly small soundstage though...
3. U18t + Hansound Venom. Largest soundstage I have ever heard in an iem. Incredible resolution as well
4. QDC gemini/8ss. Great resolution as usual. Gemini is slightly warmer, 8ss can get slightly cold
5. Empire Ears Zeus XR. Legendary sound
6. Tia fourte. Natural sound, amazing tonality
7. KSE1500. Details, details, details. The attack is unrivalled in any iem (its an electrostat after all)
8. Jh 13v2. Just a decent all rounder
9. Prophile 8. Good but too cold for me
10. Mason v3. The whole presentation is more laid back and warm. Here it's down to personal preference. I like my sound up close

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to try out the new lineups from Empire and Jomo

Hope to hear them soon

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #1,548 of 5,197
1. Campfire Audio Andromeda (with spinfit cp100 on, driven by Chord Mojo): the cleanest transients I have ever heard from a multi-way IEM/ crystalline treble with stunning resolve ability/ render both male & female vocal naturally/ best bass I have heard from a pure-BA IEM/ superb coherency top to bottom
2. Noble Audio Savanna (with spinfit cp100z, driven by Chord Mojo): similar tonality to Andromeda but far, far behind in terms of: a.) evenness - noticeably more mid-centric than Andromeda, thus not as natural sounding. b.) treble resolve and timbre. c.) bass punch and textural differentiation. d.) transient crispness. e.) imaging precision and depth. Still an excellent IEM. I think it sounds much better than K10U.
3. Etymotic Research ER4SR (with stock triple flanges, driven by Chord Mojo): even more mid-centric than Savanna, a bit overwhelming at times. However, the balance between upper & lower mids is pretty spot-on. Although it cannot reach beyond 15KHz, treble realism does not suffer at all. Bass does not lack punch if deep insertion is achieved. Personally, I much prefer the SR model over the XR one. Mid-bass bump in the XR model undermine clarity.

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #1,549 of 5,197
Slight changes:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XR
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Campfire Audio Atlas
4. Campfire Andromeda
5. Astell & Kern JH Audio Roxanne II
6. Empire Ears Phantom
7. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I
8. Etymotic ER4SR
9. Earsonic ES5
10. Beyerdynamic Xelento

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #1,550 of 5,197
Slight changes:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XR
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Campfire Audio Atlas
4. Campfire Andromeda
6. Empire Ears Phantom
7. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I
8. Etymotic ER4SR
9. Earsonic ES5
10. Beyerdynamic Xelento

what made you put Zeus on top ? i assume that Zeus/Legend/Phantom are all TOTL level , depends on what kind of signature you are after

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,551 of 5,197
what made you put Zeus on top ? i assume that Zeus/Legend/Phantom are all TOTL level , depends on what kind of signature you are after

Its sound signature is like the clearest, most purest water you’ve ever drank.

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,552 of 5,197
Changes:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XR
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Campfire Audio Atlas
4. Campfire Andromeda
6. Empire Ears Phantom
7. Empire Ears Hermes
8. Empire Ears Apollo
9. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I
10. Earsonic ES5

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #1,553 of 5,197
1. Campfire Andromeda
2. Campfire Vega
3. Sennheiser IE80
4. Etymotic ER4XR
5. Shure SE846
6. Westone W30
7. Visang R02
8. KZ ZS6
9. Bose In-Ear Headphones
10. VJJB-V1S
11. AUKEY wireless earphones
12. Panasonic RP HT355
13. Apple earbuds
14. Free earbuds from hotel gym
15. Free earbuds from bank
16. Earbuds from vending machine

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #1,554 of 5,197
64 Tia Fourte (universal) > Westone ES5 > UE18 Pro (old version) > SE846 > Noble K10 (custom) > JH Layla > Sony EX800ST > ATH CK100 > ER4P >Triple Fi 10 Pro > Westone 3 > SE535

These are the ones that I own. I don't want to comment on IEMs which I only listened to briefly.

A couple observations throughout these years:

1. More expensive doesn't mean better. It just happens that the no. 1 on my list is the most expensive one.

2. Customs aren't necessarily better when compared with their universal counterparts, even if you have a perfect fit. Also, sound isolation with acrylic customs is WORSE than most universal IEMs with the right eartips. Soft tip customs made by Westone have the best isolation though.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,555 of 5,197
Changes:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XR
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Campfire Audio Atlas
4. Campfire Andromeda
6. Empire Ears Phantom
7. Empire Ears Hermes
8. Empire Ears Apollo
9. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I
10. Earsonic ES5

what kind of music do you listen to? i listen to mainly EDM, and i love the Atlas’s for them. I was thinking about upgrading to a Phantom, but you placed them way down on the list for what? i’ve heard great things about the phantoms and how it’s better than the Atlas?

Can you compare the 2

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,556 of 5,197
what kind of music do you listen to? i listen to mainly EDM, and i love the Atlas’s for them. I was thinking about upgrading to a Phantom, but you placed them way down on the list for what? i’ve heard great things about the phantoms and how it’s better than the Atlas?

Can you compare the 2

I listen to mainly rock. EDM should sound pretty good with the Atlas.

Not liking the Phantom (and also the Apollo) is a personal thing for me. Both sound very thick and smooth but very, very musical which is not my tastes. I like my music to be quick, agile and fairly transparent (hence my high personal rankings for the Zeus, Hermes, Andromeda and Roxanne II). Atlas and Legend X are high because of the emotion they invoke from me while listening to. Both sound grand and majestic, and it's quite an epic experience for me. Phantom/Apollo don't invoke the same emotions but are very technically capable, hence their high rankings. I mean...better than N5005 and Xelentos for me at least.

So in a summary, very subjective and personal. Take it with a grain of salt.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,557 of 5,197

Not liking the Phantom (and also the Apollo) is a personal thing for me. Both sound very thick and smooth but very, very musical which is not my tastes. I like my music to be quick, agile and fairly transparent (hence my high personal rankings for the Zeus, Hermes, Andromeda and Roxanne II). Atlas and Legend X are high because of the emotion they invoke from me while listening to. Both sound grand and majestic, and it's quite an epic experience for me. Phantom/Apollo don't invoke the same emotions but are very technically capable, hence their high rankings. I mean...better than N5005 and Xelentos for me at least.

you just described NT6 - however i find Zeus to be a better and more enjoyable CIEM all around

i

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,558 of 5,197
1. Campfire Audio Andromeda (with spinfit cp100 on, driven by Chord Mojo): the cleanest transients I have ever heard from a multi-way IEM/ crystalline treble with stunning resolve ability/ render both male & female vocal naturally/ best bass I have heard from a pure-BA IEM/ superb coherency top to bottom

Didn’t like the Mojo Andro pairing as it’s too noisy and way too warm for my taste. iPod Touch 6G OTOH is a fast, wide, neutral sounding and no sibilance with Andromeda

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #1,559 of 5,197

Thank you. Super helpful. But would you consider the Legend X to be huge upgrade from the Atlas. Having listened to both, can you compare? which one do you like more? which one is better? which one makes you feel the music more and cry like a little baby? (for mostly edm)

pls help thx so much

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,560 of 5,197
thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back