Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jul 20, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #1,561 of 5,136
Now this seems to be a fun / interesting thread (thanks @Bosk for mentioning it in another thread) :thinking:

I've heard approx 30+ IEMs (which can be found under my profile) so far, and this came out when I tried to rank them based on my preferences over the past 10 minutes.
Preferences of course doesn't mean that I say it is better, only that I like it better. And especially the first 3 depended a lot(!) on the source (synergy) to my ears.

1) Empire Ears Zeus XR (from RW modded AK380Cu)
2) Empire Ears Phantom (from LPG, close to the above but completely different strengths)
3) Spiral Ear 5-Way Ult (2x loaner, from LPG)
4) 64 Audio A18 Tzar (loaner for weeks)
5) Vision Ears VE8 (loaner for weeks)
6) Warbler Prelude (wrote a review on that one)
7) QDC Gemini (loaner for weeks)
8) Rhapsodio Solar (basshead / thick notes iem, but still love 'em)
9) CA Andromeda / EE Spartan ADEL (close call to my ears)
10) Tralucent 1plus2 (gone, but not forgotten because of its wonderful soundstage)

Now I'm gonna read (should be fun) the 104 pages before this one in the upcomming days :grin:
Cheers to ya'all and happy listening!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #1,562 of 5,136
Background: Have tried over 150 iems. Mostly CIEM demos and mid-fi to TOTL UIEMs. Preference is mostly reference/neutral, but I can enjoy an IEM that does something different but very well. Here goes...my list includes things I enjoy and only worth mentioning.

1) Hidition Viento Reference. Detailed and highly engaging. At the very edge of being too coloured.
2) Kumitate KL-Ref. Fantastic DD bass coupled with a typical Japanese upper midrange tuning. Highly fun and engaging whilst not being fatiguing. Separation and layering is done very well.
3) Vision Ears VE8. The IEM that got me trying more. Very easy to love with great technicalities.
4) P.EAR.S SH-3. Jack of all trades. Doesn't really have anything that stands out but the tonality is 10/10. Incredible level of separation and layering. A staging beast.
5) Jomo Samba. Very resolving and clear. V-shape can get a little tiring though.
6) QDC 8SS. Great reference monitor. Detailed but a little boring due to treble being slightly dark for my tastes.
7) Empire Ears Legend X. Fantastic resolution hindered by its bass.
8) Beyerdynamic Xelento. Warm with good treble response yet not tiring. One of the most refined sound signatures out there imo.
9) InEar Prophile 8. Too dark to be reference for my tastes but it has THE sound for studio monitoring use. Timbre is not for everyone.
10) Kumitate KL-Sirius. Thinner than SH-3 in terms of note weight but is the definition of Japanese tuning.
11) Sony EX1000. Odd timbre but has incredible resolution. Simply different as to how it does music.
12) Fitear TG334. Average technicalities but the midrange is simply heavenly.
13) Campfire Andromeda. Aggressive and unrefined. However pretty detailed with the right tips. I almost dont want to mention this IEM in the list.
14) Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered. Warm and dark. QDC does a similar signature better.
15) Etymotic ER4SR. Plastic timbre. Small soundstage. Good layering and detail though. The benchmark. Not sure whether to put this higher.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 22, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,563 of 5,136
Another update:

1. Empire Ears Legend X / Campfire Audio Atlas
2. Campfire Andromeda
3. Astell & Kern JH Audio Roxanne II
4. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I
5. Empire Ears Phantom
6. Etymotic ER4SR
7. Earsonic ES5
8. Beyerdynamic Xelento
9. AKG N5005
10. Empire Ears Spartan

i’m about to sell my campfire atlas’s+ cash for the legend x. what’s your advice (i listen to mostly edm) i don’t have a chance to test out the legend x anywhere locally but i think it’ll be a great fit for me

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,564 of 5,136
Background: Have tried over 150 iems. Mostly CIEM demos and mid-fi to TOTL UIEMs. Preference is mostly reference/neutral, but I can enjoy an IEM that does something different but very well. Here goes...my list includes things I enjoy and only worth mentioning.

1) Hidition Viento Reference. Detailed and highly engaging. At the very edge of being too coloured.
2) Kumitate KL-Ref. Fantastic DD bass coupled with a typical Japanese upper midrange tuning. Highly fun and engaging whilst not being fatiguing. Separation and layering is done very well.
3) Vision Ears VE8. The IEM that got me trying more. Very easy to love with great technicalities.
4) P.EAR.S SH-3. Jack of all trades. Doesn't really have anything that stands out but the tonality is 10/10. Incredible level of separation and layering. A staging beast.
5) Jomo Samba. Very resolving and clear. V-shape can get a little tiring though.
6) QDC 8SS. Great reference monitor. Detailed but a little boring due to treble being slightly dark for my tastes.
7) Empire Ears Legend X. Fantastic resolution hindered by its bass.
8) Beyerdynamic Xelento. Warm with good treble response yet not tiring. One of the most refined sound signatures out there imo.
9) InEar Prophile 8. Too dark to be reference for my tastes but it has THE sound for studio monitoring use. Timbre is not for everyone.
10) Kumitate KL-Sirius. Thinner than SH-3 in terms of note weight but is the definition of Japanese tuning.
11) Sony EX1000. Odd timbre but has incredible resolution. Simply different as to how it does music.
12) Fitear TG334. Average technicalities but the midrange is simply heavenly.
13) Campfire Andromeda. Aggressive and unrefined. However pretty detailed with the right tips. I almost dont want to mention this IEM in the list.
14) Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered. Warm and dark. QDC does a similar signature better.
15) Etymotic ER4SR. Plastic timbre. Small soundstage. Good layering and detail though. The benchmark. Not sure whether to put this higher.

Glad to see ER4SR on both our lists :)

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,565 of 5,136
Glad to see ER4SR on both our lists :)

IMO...one of the top performing IEMs under the $700 price range. It does have some drawbacks (timbre and soundstage) but if you're more bothered about accurate sound reproduction, they are incredibly good value.

I have not heard anything in its price range that has the same level of clarity and detail.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #1,566 of 5,136
Am a fan of single BA IEM (or rather I can only afford IEMs at this range) I listen to music from a shanling m2 -> Chord mojo.

So.. here's my list:

1) QDC Neptune - Clean, natural. Detailed mids, Good soundstage. Pins design allows for limited cable rolling.
3) Jomo Haka - Mid focused. Good separation and layering. A little dark sounding.
2) ER4SR - Highly detailed and clear. A little more intimate soundstage. Really nothing much to fault here.
4) Campfire Comet - Quick, punchy Bass.
5) Aya Audio Nightingale - More musical than the rest. lean bass. Buttery Smooth instrumental treble.
5) Shure 215SE -> My first and only DD IEM. Got me into this game :)

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,567 of 5,136
Slight changes:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XR
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Campfire Audio Atlas
4. Campfire Andromeda
5. Astell & Kern JH Audio Roxanne II
6. Empire Ears Phantom
7. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I
8. Etymotic ER4SR
9. Earsonic ES5
10. Beyerdynamic Xelento

correction: 1) legend x 2) phantom or zeus

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #1,568 of 5,136

Uh ?? :scream::scream_cat:

Are you sure it was't a chi-fi copy ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, "surprising" but why not ?

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,569 of 5,136
Uh ?? :scream::scream_cat:

Are you sure it was't a chi-fi copy ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, "surprising" but why not ?

Too much rumbling in the background. Warm. Edgy. Treble sparkle.

Remember that this is my opinion. Andromeda has its own quirks and I can understand why people enjoy this type of sound. I prefer Xelento over Andro even though both have a similar FR but both have different takes on sonic reporoduction...I just prefer Xelento's smoother signature.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #1,570 of 5,136
Too much rumbling in the background. Warm. Edgy. Treble sparkle.

Remember that this is my opinion. Andromeda has its own quirks and I can understand why people enjoy this type of sound. I prefer Xelento over Andro even though both have a similar FR but both have different takes on sonic reporoduction...I just prefer Xelento's smoother signature.

Hi toranku,

No problem about that, you guess :thumbsup:

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,571 of 5,136
1) Legend X
2) U18Tzar
3) Tia Fourte
4) Shure KSE1500
5) Campfire Audio Atlas
6) Campfire Audio Vega/Andromeda
7) ie800

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #1,572 of 5,136
Changes:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XR
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Campfire Audio Atlas
4. Campfire Audio Andromeda
5. Astell & Kern JH Audio Roxanne II
6. Empire Ears Phantom
7. Empire Ears Hermes
8. Empire Ears Apollo
9. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I
10. Earsonic ES5

I thought I'd extend my list as it really does leave out some darn good IEMs:

11. AKG N5005
12. Beyerdynamic Xelento
13. Empire Ears Spartan-IV
14. Massdrop Plus
15. Etymotic ER4XR
16. Empire Ears Bravado
17. Final Audio E5000
18. AKG N40
19. Empire Ears Supra-II
20. Campfire Audio Orion

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,573 of 5,136
1) Legend X
2) U18Tzar
3) Tia Fourte
4) Shure KSE1500
5) Campfire Audio Atlas
6) Campfire Audio Vega/Andromeda
7) ie800
how you even rank the Shure KSE1500 when you asked today if somebody heard them to make a comparison with the Legend X?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back