Rank the IEM's you've heard
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,353 of 5,136
Hi guys, I’m looking for a cable around $200 or under $300 that can upgrade the transparency and add some treble sparkle for u12, or maybe u18 which I’m considering upgrade to. Any suggestions?
Norne Therium and ALO Ref 8 are good in different ways. Therium increases detail levels, while Ref 8 preserves the tonal body but betters the imaging and differentiation.

Might be the wrong thread here but whatevs. You can also ask in the high end IEM cable thread.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #1,354 of 5,136
Norne Therium and ALO Ref 8 are good in different ways. Therium increases detail levels, while Ref 8 preserves the tonal body but betters the imaging and differentiation.

Might be the wrong thread here but whatevs. You can also ask in the high end IEM cable thread.
Thanks buddy, I just couldn’t find a right place to post my question.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,355 of 5,136
Update :
1) Vega
2) Andro
3) IE800 S
4) Xelento
5) Shure SE846

Updated :
1) Empire Ears Phantom
2) Vega
3) IE800 S
4)Andro
5) Xelento
6) SE846
7) Ultrasone IQ

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,356 of 5,136
These are the iems I've heard recently enough to remember.

1) Sennheiser IE800S - tie (I like the slight "V" shape, but more balanced sound. Best imaging I've heard in an iem)
1) Campfire Audio Vega - tie (imo the best basshead iem on the market)
3) Dunu DN-2000J (modded to dampen treble)
4) Noble Kaiser 10
5) Shure se846
6) Campfire Dorado
7) Campfire Lyra II
8) Dunu DN-1000

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #1,357 of 5,136
These are the iems I've heard recently enough to remember.

1) Sennheiser IE800S - tie (I like the slight "V" shape, but more balanced sound. Best imaging I've heard in an iem)
1) Campfire Audio Vega - tie (imo the best basshead iem on the market)
3) Dunu DN-2000J (modded to dampen treble)
4) Noble Kaiser 10
5) Shure se846
6) Campfire Dorado
7) Campfire Lyra II
8) Dunu DN-1000

.....IE800S over the Vegas ? .....wow. May i ask for your preferred music genre ? :)

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,358 of 5,136
New list:
1. U18t (a whole other level)
2. Samba( They are not my taste, but SQ wise, truely outstanding)
3. Rhines State 7( If Samba is the king of V shape, I would rank Stage 7 as the king of laid back)
4. Sem-9 ( very similar to Stage 7 but less forward in the mid range, very airy treble and deep sound stage, fast and fun tune)
5. Solar ( Metal King, no questions, even better than U18t, but only in this specific genre, they are ideal for almost all kinds of metal, stunning bass, not as deep and fast as Samba tho, but Samba’s treble is too sharp for metal genres)
6. Xelento(if you need a dynamic iem, that’s it, I mean just like T1s, you can’t find any significant downside of them, very mature tuning, and this may be a downside)
7. Galaxy V2 ( huge sound but a little bit harsh)
8. 64 Audio U8( a small Solar, wider sound stage but leaner notes)
9. K10UA ( They are good, but that’s it.)
10. JH Roxanne v1( for the current price they are ok, way too much mid bass, way too dark, try before buy)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,360 of 5,136
So I'm actually using westone w80 and I think they are very capable IEM. Now I have some disposable income but I'm not spending 3k on headphones, so unless I'm selling my w80 I'm not upgrading. My question is are the Tiara tzar really on another level?

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,361 of 5,136
So I'm actually using westone w80 and I think they are very capable IEM. Now I have some disposable income but I'm not spending 3k on headphones, so unless I'm selling my w80 I'm not upgrading. My question is are the Tiara tzar really on another level?

I listened to the Tia and U18T at axpona last year for at least an hour, going back and forth between the two. Loved the U18T. It's sound actually haunts me. I listened to all of the TOTL iems that day and I ended up buying a campfire vega, which I also love, but the U18T is my end game.

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,362 of 5,136
U18t for me is a whole different world for sure. They as natural as $2000 level big cans and they can provide micro dynamic like T1.
If use 3 phrases to describe U18t to my ears, will be natural, life-alike, high-end.
They are pretty much a all rounder, but not like k10 or some other well known all rounders, they give the music life. You can almost feel and see there is a band right in front of you, this is the most impressive and magical part, which I didn’t even get from se master-1, hd800s, LCD-3, T1 level big cans.
But they also have some parts can be further improved, such as they can be more full bodied in some parts, and the sound stage could be deeper. They tend to be flat compare with those big cans(I know it’s a little bit unfair), when play genres or records which require huge dynamic.

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #1,363 of 5,136
U18t for me is a whole different world for sure. They as natural as $2000 level big cans and they can provide micro dynamic like T1.
If use 3 phrases to describe U18t to my ears, will be natural, life-alike, high-end.
They are pretty much a all rounder, but not like k10 or some other well known all rounders, they give the music life. You can almost feel and see there is a band right in front of you, this is the most impressive and magical part, which I didn’t even get from se master-1, hd800s, LCD-3, T1 level big cans.
But they also have some parts can be further improved, such as they can be more full bodied in some parts, and the sound stage could be deeper. They tend to be flat compare with those big cans(I know it’s a little bit unfair), when play genres or records which require huge dynamic.

Thanks for the feedback since we dont have anywhere to try on high end audio gears I can only read and ask around . I got burned few times by buying expensive stuff based solely on reviews here, so I'm more cautious now as I cant just throw money away

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #1,364 of 5,136
Thanks for the feedback since we dont have anywhere to try on high end audio gears I can only read and ask around . I got burned few times by buying expensive stuff based solely on reviews here, so I'm more cautious now as I cant just throw money away
There might be more used gears later on, you can buy a good condition used u18t, if you don’t like it then resell it, it won’t hurt your wallet too much.

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,365 of 5,136
There might be more used gears later on, you can buy a good condition used u18t, if you don’t like it then resell it, it won’t hurt your wallet too much.
Yep that's my plan, just need to find a well priced pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back