Rank the IEM's you've heard
Nov 2, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,233 of 5,132
64 Audio usually does 20% off and Ultimate Ears is doing 30% off starting now
So you just contact them and ask for 30% discount?also how they do compare to the 64 u18?

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #1,234 of 5,132
So you just contact them and ask for 30% discount?also how they do compare to the 64 u18?
If you follow Ultimate Ears on Instagram, the discount code is there. 30% is the best I remember seeing in years for a Black Friday sale from anyone. As for how they compare, I've only heard the old triplefli 10 and it doesn't even compare. The U18 is the best I've heard to date, but it's $3,000. I'd ask @flinkenick , as he's the only one I know to own both. But from his review, the UE 18+ appears very interesting for my taste.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,235 of 5,132
everyone using 846 try encore, take that veil off, the sun is warm enough.

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #1,239 of 5,132
Sony xba z5
rhapsodio solar
Akg k3003
Jh angie
sony xba4
Qjays

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,242 of 5,132
Andromeda > Jupiter =? iSine10 > ER4S > KZ ZS5 > Shure E4c >>> UE triplefi 10

Andromedas have expanded my mind in terms of what IEMs are capable of, which is perhaps a bad thing, as now I'm curious about the rest of the TOTL world out there.

iSines seem to have a huge amount of potential, but I haven't had the time/patience to play with EQ to get them sounding to my tastes. Also feels like cheating, but I'm coming around.

Jupiters feel like an out of focus, unbalanced Andromeda. Still great, but clearly outclassed once you listen in direct comparison.

Etymotic research arguably started the whole BA iem movement, and the originals still sound great.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #1,243 of 5,132
Andromeda > Jupiter =? iSine10 > ER4S > KZ ZS5 > Shure E4c >>> UE triplefi 10

Andromedas have expanded my mind in terms of what IEMs are capable of, which is perhaps a bad thing, as now I'm curious about the rest of the TOTL world out there.

iSines seem to have a huge amount of potential, but I haven't had the time/patience to play with EQ to get them sounding to my tastes. Also feels like cheating, but I'm coming around.

Jupiters feel like an out of focus, unbalanced Andromeda. Still great, but clearly outclassed once you listen in direct comparison.

Etymotic research arguably started the whole BA iem movement, and the originals still sound great.

Don't!! :laughing:

itsatrap.jpg

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,244 of 5,132
Well it certainly seems as though I have been living under a rock as my beloved Shure SE846s have been relegated from superstar status to town drunk.

But for now I don’t care. Music sounds awesome when drunk anyway.

The SE846’s sub-bass at times feels as palpably real as thunder. It’s hard to imagine anything topping them in the bass department. Bonus points for the bass not bleeding into the midrange.

Midrange is everything I could ask for. Lifelike, clear, minimal if little discernable colouration.

Much has been made of the 8’s Archilles heel: Treble. No it doesn’t extend as far as its counterparts but I find this favourable. A little bit more detail would be desirable but that’s not to say they’re a complete slouch in this regard.

Put simply I like the relaxed upper reaches of the SE846s’ signature. It’s worth noting that my ears are highly sensative to higher frequencies. A little bit of veilling suits me better than a liberal dose of glitter, precious gemstones and caster sugar.

Imaging is superb. Instrument separation: There’s room for improvement in certain genres that create a wall of sound (metal, John 00 Fleming in “turbo mix” mode, etc.) Soundstage: Some call it small, confined; I call it natural, intimate and enveloping. It doesn’t push the walls out if it doesn’t need to but will expand to either side of my street when called for.

A little more air would be desirable, but not essential.

Listen to Dave Clarke’s Essential Mix recorded live at ADE2015 and you feel like you’re there, not quite front-row-centre but just three deep back from the booth. Other techno and techno-inspired UK bass music really does present a feeling of being in a dark dingy nightclub where sunshine and the first tube home feel miles away.

And while on the tube (Melbourne tram really haha) there’s enough isolation provided by the music and attenuation provided by the fit to block out the noisiest rattly bogey, pack of outer suburban louts or newborn baby who rightly doesn’t want to be there.

One more note: A cable upgrade is a must in getting the most out of the SE846. With the HeadphoneLounge copper litz cable (kindly given to me by damobannana) the sound is lifted and opened up just enough. I also use the blue filters and Spinfit tips.

Anyhoo, I’ll stop from my digression in defence of the 8’s and get on with it.

1. Shure SE846: As above.
2. Sennheiser IE800: Fun, airy, engaging, with visceral bass but with a fit so shockingly bad even my cavernous ears disagreed with them.
3. Sennheiser: IE8: Alas poor yorrick, I knew him well! They kept me entertained for four years before the need for better bass kicked in like a hangover and homesickness combine.
4. Futuresonics Aatrio: These were nice as I recall. Twas a long time ago.
5. UltimateEars: TripleFi 5: Would have enjoyed these more but for their terrible fit. Bigger IEMs like the Se846s and CA Jupiters suit me better.

Auditioned
CA Jupiter: Air, soundstage count for nowt when piano sounds veiled and flatter than a steamrolled pancake. How the piano sounds is a huge factor in how I evaluate a pair of IEMs and these fall down in that department. (Suffice it to say the 8’s piano sounds stunning in texture, viscerality, image).
Westone W90: A pleasant IEM, but no substance in the bass department. A bit like a London porter but the brewer put only half the required amount of hops in.
Earsonics: Can’t remember which models I’ve auditioned, but neither quite did it for me.
FitEar ToGo: Gorgeous texture but I was left wanting. I prefer a somewhat warmer overall presentation.

Naturally I’d love to audition the TIAs, Encores, Vegas mentioned by others but many are way out of reach of a freelance journo’s price range or simply not available instore for test-driving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back