Rank the IEM's you've heard
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #3,601 of 5,136
Did you just get it recently or have you had it for a while? Congrats on finding something you love despite having reservations going in. That's always a great feeling. The u12t is the Lord of the Rings of the IEM world for me...it's a towering (haha) presence in the community, with many people-- including many very prominent reviewers & hobbyists-- thinking it is he de facto greatest "all rounder" there is and yet...as with Tolkien's books (and Jackson's movies)-- the whole thing just leaves me cold, despite numerous attempts to make myself like it. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I just couldn't connect with it when so many others insisted was the greatest thing ever...but it actually helped me come to grips with the fact, in this hobby and elsewhere, that we all hear things differently and nothing, no matter how good it is, will be for everyone. The world would be a much less interesting place if this were not so.
Have you worked on the synergy front? I'm wondering whether its character can be influenced more towards your liking with perhaps a rhythmically stronger and warmer DAC or cable set? A tube amp perhaps?

drftr

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #3,602 of 5,136
Have you worked on the synergy front? I'm wondering whether its character can be influenced more towards your liking with perhaps a rhythmically stronger and warmer DAC or cable set? A tube amp perhaps?

drftr

I tried numerous sources on a few occasions over the course of about a year. I believe in the importance of sources and (to a notable but lesser extent) cables but I maintain, at least as far as my own experience goes, that while the right source and cable can indeed bring out the best of an IEM neither can alter an IEM's fundamental character. While I've gone from liking something to liking it more with a source change I've never (issues of driving power notwithstanding) gone from not liking something to suddenly liking it simply by changing the source or cable. As with all things, YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #3,603 of 5,136
I tried numerous sources on a few occasions over the course of about a year. I believe in the importance of sources and (to a notable but lesser extent) cables but I maintain, at least as far as my own experience goes, that while the right source and cable can indeed bring out the best of an IEM neither can alter an IEM's fundamental character. While I've gone from liking something to liking it more with a source change I've never (issues of driving power notwithstanding) gone from not liking something to suddenly liking it simply by changing the source or cable. As with all things, YMMV.
My miles DO vary but I only have the experience with speakers: I have used quite a few planars and found them rather characterless UNLESS I found the one perfect match. Don't ask me how it works as I can't tell. And when demoing planars for clients I always enquired about their amps first and contacted the distributor for the best match and took that one with me as well. Often enough the setup the client wanted to work didn't at all, while when changing amps they fell in love and never looked back. It may not work this well with IEMs though, I could see that.

drftr

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #3,604 of 5,136
You should at least hear it. You may be surprised. I used to be in the same boat as you on it and when I heard it, mind changed dramatically. Don’t pass it up if you get the chance
I do want to hear it if a chance encounter ever comes up.
I actually need to hear it.
The Bird, Mason, Phonix, U12t. I am calling you all out. Prove your worth. :stuck_out_tongue:
(i mean, pretty please can I hear you)

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #3,605 of 5,136
I guess you have to decide at some point on what you want and just go with it. For me, Roxanne is the best iem for extreme metal. I am a metal head myself. I haven't tried U12, but I owned Mest 1, Campfire Solaris 2020, Andromeda, Valkyrie, Mentor, Layla, Lola and a few other that I forgot and to my preference Roxanne is the best. One thing to consider is the source, because I think it is very important. I like the Roxanne from Acoustic Research M2 dap. You might have a different experience from a different dap. I have/had many daps (Cayin N8, Cayin N6II, Fiio M15, Shanling M8 and more) and I like the Acoustic Research M2 the best. Good luck in finding the best sound that works best for you and your needs

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #3,606 of 5,136
I guess I will choose from :

- U12T
- Mest Mk1
- Mest MK2

Then.

Sadly I can't find any mest in Europe, not for testing and not for buying
audeos.pl has the MEST2
btw, I love MEST2 subbass and bass, one of the best I have ever heard on any IEM. but it heavily depends on fit and tips, it is not so easy to find the right combination for each own ears. I was about to give up, and then I have found the perfect fit&tips for me with Azla sedna light short (slightly more linear) and Azla Crystal (slightly more open in the treble). now I can heartly recommend MEST2

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #3,607 of 5,136
audeos.pl has the MEST2
btw, I love MEST2 subbass and bass, one of the best I have ever heard on any IEM. but it heavily depends on fit and tips, it is not so easy to find the right combination for each own ears. I was about to give up, and then I have found the perfect fit&tips for me with Azla sedna light short (slightly more linear) and Azla Crystal (slightly more open in the treble). now I can heartly recommend MEST2
Currently mest mk2 is on top of my list because i heard the u12t would be too sterile / boring

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,609 of 5,136
You say is not boring but is not existing either

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,610 of 5,136
Currently mest mk2 is on top of my list because i heard the u12t would be too sterile / boring

What other IEMs have you heard/enjoyed? That might be a good clue into the sort of sound you're looking for. What one considers "boring" vs "engaging" is an entirely individual question. For some watching an intense chess match might be boring, for others it could be incredibly exciting. The u12t is like this-- it has ultimately a very analytic/intellectual presentation and on this front it's possibly peerless in the IEM world...however for some its mode of presentation is very dry and not the most emotionally engaging. While I'm in the camp of people for whom it is not my ideal (for this reason) I don't think it should be summarily dismissed as "boring" as there are many people who feel differently. Conversely I also don't feel, for reasons I just mentioned, that it should be touted as the end-all for everyone as it's clearly not. For the same $$ I would heartily rec the Elysium over the u12t pretty much across the board...but it's fundamentally a YMMV question that at the end of the day must be answered by the individual.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #3,611 of 5,136
My top 10 ranking.
1.trailli
2. Supreme mk2
3. Odin
4. Jomo samba
5. Fw10k
6. Hidition NT6
7. Jomo Flamenco
8. Hidition Viento R
9. Infinity mk2
10. Lxse

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #3,613 of 5,136
Did you just get it recently or have you had it for a while? Congrats on finding something you love despite having reservations going in. That's always a great feeling. The u12t is the Lord of the Rings of the IEM world for me...it's a towering (haha) presence in the community, with many people-- including many very prominent reviewers & hobbyists-- thinking it is he de facto greatest "all rounder" there is and yet...as with Tolkien's books (and Jackson's movies)-- the whole thing just leaves me cold, despite numerous attempts to make myself like it. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I just couldn't connect with it when so many others insisted was the greatest thing ever...but it actually helped me come to grips with the fact, in this hobby and elsewhere, that we all hear things differently and nothing, no matter how good it is, will be for everyone. The world would be a much less interesting place if this were not so.
Great Analogy, I recently acquired one and I have to say it reaches pretty close to the Almighty Bird. But this is just my opinion. The bird of course has much more space width wise but the layering on U12T is pretty spectacular.......No more U12t shill from me(haha). I can understand why you wouldn't like it after reading and learning your preferences through the forums. I remember my beginning of the journey and how the Vx Anole was heralded as the best IEM ever. I bought one and was extremely underwhelmed. I tried to force myself to like it, but no matter what, I kept getting so bored and would take them out after about 30 min which for someone like me says a lot, as I listen for 2-8 hours at a time.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3,614 of 5,136
What other IEMs have you heard/enjoyed? That might be a good clue into the sort of sound you're looking for. What one considers "boring" vs "engaging" is an entirely individual question. For some watching an intense chess match might be boring, for others it could be incredibly exciting. The u12t is like this-- it has ultimately a very analytic/intellectual presentation and on this front it's possibly peerless in the IEM world...however for some its mode of presentation is very dry and not the most emotionally engaging. While I'm in the camp of people for whom it is not my ideal (for this reason) I don't think it should be summarily dismissed as "boring" as there are many people who feel differently. Conversely I also don't feel, for reasons I just mentioned, that it should be touted as the end-all for everyone as it's clearly not. For the same $$ I would heartily rec the Elysium over the u12t pretty much across the board...but it's fundamentally a YMMV question that at the end of the day must be answered by the individual.
I currently have the ISN H40 and I really enjoy them.

They are lacking soundstage, better clarity / resolution and better imaging and instrument seperation tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back