Rank the IEM's you've heard
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #3,572 of 5,131
My top 5 IEMs:

1. Elysian Annihilator: the only IEM with top-tier treble quality on the market for me. Simply outstanding sound quality. The one IEM competing with full-sized TOTLs IMO.

2. Sony IER-Z1R: pretty fun dirty bass and unique spacious staging. Horrible fit which messes with treble extension and thus resolution. When deep-fitted properly, easily beats most of the other TOTLs.

3. Moondrop S8: one of the best tunings out there (a "fixed" Harman with more midbass, less lower treble and actual extension) just heavily bottlenecked by unbearable BA timbre.

4. 64 Audio U12t: one of the best warm settings which becomes way too dark and if you experience hearing loss due to aging. Also its connector is pure garbage.

5. Oriolus Traillii: very inoffensive yet natural listen. Almost too inoffensive, but there is nothing really like this on the market. Though insanely overpriced and IMO doesn't have enough technicalities to compete with other established TOTLs.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #3,573 of 5,131
Guys, seriously I need help:

Should I get the U12Ts or the Roxanne as my end game for rock & metal?

I want a big and fun sounding iem with totl resolution, imaging, seperation and very big sound stage. Also clear and sweet / lively vocals.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #3,574 of 5,131

I want a big and fun sounding iem with totl resolution, imaging, seperation and very big sound stage. Also clear and sweet / lively vocals.
Never heard the Roxanne but everything you just described in wanting is the U12T!!

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #3,575 of 5,131

Never heard the Roxanne but everything you just described in wanting is the U12T!!
Haha ok. I am still hoping for someone who heard both the Roxanne and the U12T.

At the end i guess I have to audition both of them to make a final choice.

I also want big bass. The bass should be impactful and dry with the ability to do sub bass rumble and a good punch with quick attack and decay.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #3,576 of 5,131

Recommend you consider the Sony IER-Z1R.
Fun, truly big sound, expansive sound stage and layering, very lively … all this combined with an amazing sub bass kick and texture.
Was an easy winner, to my ears.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #3,577 of 5,131
Recommend you consider the Sony IER-Z1R.
Fun, truly big sound, expansive sound stage and layering, very lively … all this combined with an amazing sub bass kick and texture.
Was an easy winner, to my ears.
I would also mention the fit of the ier-Z1R and how they will make or break the sound, However even with a good fit it sounds like a cavernous cave in my Opinion.
For that money one can get something that just doesn’t have good bass. Soundstage is expanded because the upper mid suck out…looking at the graphs of all three, I would steer clear of the Roxanne. Def would take the Z1R over the Roxanne. Hands down!

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #3,578 of 5,131

u12t is many things but "big and fun" is not how I'd describe them at all-- they're far more analytic than fun...YMMV though. Someone rec'd the IER Z1R...great IEM but fit is awkward and it likes power...also it's kind of weak in the mid-bass/lower mids and the latter especially makes it not the best choice for rock music imho. For my money based on the criteria you list here what I think you want is the OG MEST...not the MKii, which was flat and dull in comparison, with much tamer bass. The OG MEST is my favorite IEM that I've demoed but never got around to buying.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #3,579 of 5,131
I also considered the mest mk2 because i heard they would be more "European" tuned than the mk1 with better and more powerful vocals and better bass.

I have no idea about the mk1.

But the problem is that it would be a blind buy since I can't get them here in my country i would also habe to pay expensive import fees.
u12t is many things but "big and fun" is not how I'd describe them at all-- they're far more analytic than fun...YMMV though. Someone rec'd the IER Z1R...great IEM but fit is awkward and it likes power...also it's kind of weak in the mid-bass/lower mids and the latter especially makes it not the best choice for rock music imho. For my money based on the criteria you list here what I think you want is the OG MEST...not the MKii, which was flat and dull in comparison. The OG MEST is my favorite IEM that I've demoed but never got around to buying.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #3,580 of 5,131
I also considered the mest mk2 because i heard they would be more "European" tuned than the mk1 with better and more powerful vocals and better bass.

I have no idea about the mk1.

But the problem is that it would be a blind buy since I can't get them here in my country i would also habe to pay expensive import fees.

You can get them used pretty cheap these days...and just get whoever sells them to you to declare a low value.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #3,581 of 5,131
u12t is many things but "big and fun" is not how I'd describe them at all-- they're far more analytic than fun...YMMV though. Someone rec'd the IER Z1R...great IEM but fit is awkward and it likes power...also it's kind of weak in the mid-bass/lower mids and the latter especially makes it not the best choice for rock music imho. For my money based on the criteria you list here what I think you want is the OG MEST...not the MKii, which was flat and dull in comparison, with much tamer bass. The OG MEST is my favorite IEM that I've demoed but never got around to buying.
I feel you on the U12t…however they are fun to me…as the technicalities are done so well that it’s not just shoved in your face like (cough cough anole VX) the u12t still has a musicality about it that gives you BIG sound with top resolution, technicality, separation and macro as well as micro elements of the stage are layered extremely well. Its my number one pick for totl iems that won’t break the bank and give endless amounts of enjoyment.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #3,582 of 5,131
I feel you on the U12t…however they are fun to me…as the technicalities are done so well that it’s not just shoved in your face like (cough cough anole VX) the u12t still has a musicality about it that gives you BIG sound with too resolution, technicality, separation and macro as well as micro elements of the stage are layered extremely well. Its my number one pick for totl iems that won’t break the bank and give endless amounts of enjoyment.

Yeah it's a big YMMV there...what one considers fun is an entirely personal question.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #3,583 of 5,131
Yeah it's a big YMMV there...what one considers fun is an entirely personal question.
I do however agree with you about the Mest Og! Big and fun for dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Maybe not the most coherent. But that is forgivable considering the technical ability along with the soundstage magic.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #3,584 of 5,131
I do however agree with you about the Mest Og! Big and fun for dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And honestly still the most bonkers staging I've ever heard in an IEM. I still maintain they nerfed the bone conduction on the MKii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back