Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Aug 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #3,302 of 8,134
1) Beyerdynamic T1 (best all-rounder, musical sound with incredible detail)
2) DIYed LA7000 (fun, more balanced sound than the LA5000. Has great detail retrieval, but can be fatiguing during long listening sessions. Beautiful wooden cups!)
3) ATH-W3000ANV (wonderful mids and detail, beautifully made)
3) Stax SR-303 (balanced and speaker-like sound)
4) Yamaha HP-1 (hidden gem at its price. Sound like a mini LCD2 and when modded can come very close to the LCD2)
5) DIYed LA5000 (fun sound with very tight and controlled bass. Can be too dark for some)
6) AKG K240 Sextett (great bass but mid bass can be too much sometimes. Probably needs recabling)
7) AKG K240 Monitor (no slouch but still takes the rear in my list)

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,303 of 8,134
1 - AKG Q701-M
2 - Sennheiser HD 540 Reference (HD 250 Linear II pads)
3 - Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 250 ohms
4 - Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation [resolution, clarity] / Ovation II [soundstage, imaging]
5 - Superlux HD681 (AKG K240 velour pads)
6 - Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / AKG K240 Studio

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3,304 of 8,134
Top 5 only:
1 - Beats Solo HD
2 - Sennheiser HD 540 Reference
3 - AKG Q701
4 - Superlux HD681 (velour pads)
5 - AKG K240 Studio
6 - Sennheiser HD 25-1 II = Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 250 ohms

Oh god please be joking.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,306 of 8,134
Oh come on, we all know that the lowly Q701 is no match for Beats! 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,308 of 8,134
In order of how many hours I typically use them a day:

1. Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm (Use them primarily because of their comfort and build quality. No longer a fan of their sound signature.)
2. Astrotec AM-90 (Not a fan of the mids on these, but everything else is just fantastic including the $40 price tag.)
3. Meelectronics M6 (Got these because I needed a cheap pair of IEMs for the gym. They've got a surprisingly decent sound, and are great for the price.)
4. Sennheiser HD515 (Other than the lack of clarity with these, my only complaint is that I didn't wait for the build quality upgrade that was the HD518. These were significantly less comfortable than the DT770s when I bought them, and have become even less so since they snapped. Now the only thing holding them together is duct tape and it's too loose no matter what I do so they don't clamp well at all. Keep them around because they were my first significant headphone purchase.)

Now I'm saving up for AKG K702s which I've demoed alongside the other equally respectable flagships and absolutely fell in love with. Not sure if they'll will be my last over-the-ear headphone, but it's certainly possible.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #3,310 of 8,134
Well, it's been a while since I've last posted in here. Time for an update.

Starting from most favorite, and working my way down from there, with an asterisk next to headphones I don't actually own at the moment, but have auditioned enough to feel like ranking anyway:

-1: Stax SR-Lambda
(That midrange, sense of clarity, soundstage and overall comfort...just wow. My mind was really blown when I actually got one in stock condition, well cared for and with the original drivers intact. I don't think I'll find anything that's a real upgrade from these 'til I step up into the Omega-series models. They even sound great off of SRD-series transformer boxes, if you've got a speaker amp of some kind lying around.)
-2: Sony MDR-MA900
(Has most of what I like about those Normal bias Lambdas, except it's just $150-155 and doesn't require a special amp. Treble's a bit diluted and it doesn't sound quite as clear, but I still like the basic sound signature and presentation enough to consider it my default recommendation.)
-3: that old beater of a set I once mistook for an SR-Lambda
(The drivers were rebuilt at some point; the midrange is still great, but the bass and treble are rather rolled-off compared to a real SR-Lambda still in stock condition. And while it's comfortable, the clamping force is even lower to the point that it just kind of loosely rests on my head...)
*4: HiFiMan HE-400
(With velour pads, it was surprisingly comfortable, and the weight's a non-issue. It also works well off of modestly-amped sources. But the midrange is recessed and has this raspy texture over it that I don't like at all...)
*5: Stax SR-202
(Basically an electrostatic HE-400, sound signature-wise. That means the midrange just took a huge step backward from the original 1979 Normal bias design. Comfort's better and yet worse in a number of ways. But I put it below the HE-400 just because of the amp requirement.)
*6: Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
(It's pretty much what everyone else says about it. Huge. Comfortable. Loose-fitting. Great soundstage. No bass.)
-7: Philips CitiScape Uptown
(A good music set with great comfort and isolation, but it lacks the soundstage depth needed for gaming, and that volume slider seriously sucks.)
-8: Sansui SS-20
(The sound quality's decent, but if you thought the HE-400 was heavy, you know nothing until you put one of these vintage beasts on your head! It's the comfort that really sends it near the bottom, more than anything.)
-9: Panasonic RP-HTF600
(Once burned-in, it's a very nice set for $30-36...until one of the drivers utterly craps out on you and sends that money down the drain. Quite a shame, since I'd easily put it above the AD700, possibly even higher, if reliability wasn't such a problem.)

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3,311 of 8,134
Well, it's been a while since I've last posted in here. Time for an update.

Starting from most favorite, and working my way down from there, with an asterisk next to headphones I don't actually own at the moment, but have auditioned enough to feel like ranking anyway:

Surprised you went with another normal bias if your amplification presumably also has a Pro bias output.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3,312 of 8,134
Quote:
Update after a bit of buying/selling:

• SRH1840
  • Mad-Dog 3.2
  • SE535 Ltd Ed
  • DT880
  • SRH840

Ah, somebody with both an 1840 and an MD! A brief comparison?

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3,313 of 8,134
Quote:
Ah, somebody with both an 1840 and an MD! A brief comparison?

Two very different headphones  - opposites really.

Aside from the cost and fact that one is open and one closed.

Build, fit and  comfort - both very solidly built.  SRH1840 lighter by quite a large margin - easier to war with glasses too.  Actual wearing comfort pretty close - MD has a more comfortable headband, but 1840 has more far more comfortable ear pads. I prefer the 1840 because of the weight difference.

Sound signature - 1840 is flat (but tends to a bright signature), open, airy, bass is very textured, but well extended and linear.  Extremely detailed.  MD is comparatively very, very dark.  It's detailed - and the vocals are good and clear - it's just a far more earthy than airy sound (if that makes sense).  MD has more bass presence and texture - less air and sense of space.

Soundstage/imaging - MD has small and intimate stage, but imaging is actually very good.  Accurate sense of placement.  Vocals / mid-range quite forward.  SRH1840 has wider stage (as it should) and is very, very clear.  Imaging is extremely good (better than MD).

Tonality - SRH1840 is slightly on the bright side of natural - overall quite flat/balanced though.  Lack of mid-bass hump (compared to HD600) is quite pleasant.  MD is definitely on the darker side of natural (quite a bit) - and although both are reasonablty 'neutral' cans - IMO the 1840 is closer to natural instrument tone.

My preference (for now) very much for the 1840.  I bought the MD to see what the fuss is about.  Very different to what I am used to, and will take considerable time to acclimatise.  I am hoping to get a listen to the Alpha Dogs at some stage to see if the sound is closer to what I'm after.  I'm not sure f the MD will be a keeper for me.  And if this is what somewhat like the LCD2 is voiced - at least I'll know that can is not for me.

Sorry for the complete O-T.  Please resume normal headphone ranking 
size]

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #3,314 of 8,134
  Top <5> only:
1 - Beats Solo HD
2 - Sennheiser HD 540 Reference
3 - AKG Q701
4 - Superlux HD681 (velour pads)
5 - Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 250 ohms
<6> - Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / AKG K240 Studio

Obvious troll is obvious.

Or, he genuinely likes the Beats more and of course, cannot count. To be honest, the latter seems more likely. LOLBEATSLOVERSARETOOSTUPIDTOCOUNT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back