Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,316 of 8,138
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #3,318 of 8,138
My classement is based for the sound quality (with a good amount of bass) and the comfort.

1) HIFIMAN HE-400
2) InEar StageDiver SD-3
3) HIFIMAN HE-4
4) Yamaha EPH-100
5) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium (600 Ohm)
6) AKG-271 Mk II

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #3,319 of 8,138
Been far too long since I added to this, and a recent headphone has really turned the tables.

Top five: All of these see regular usage and eartime.

1: NAD RP18 Mylar (Fostex T50v1 OEM)Absolutely incredible, these are so far ahead of my other headphones that it's not even funny. Lightning fast attack and excellent decay. Totally flat response from 20-1000Hz with a bit of dropoff in the treble. Wonderful treble and bass extension, and extremely clean sound throughout the whole spectrum. Astonishing detail retrieval and control, and extremely precise imaging. Sounds like a wall of sound with the stock pads, however. Somewhat heavy, very thin supra-aural earpads, and a high level of clamping force. As expected, not very comfortable. Difficult to drive, but not restrictively so. Responds well to pad-rolling. Very pretty design.

2: Audio Technica ATH-8 (Signet TK33): Very nice-sounding cans. Extremely flat response with excellent treble extension. Warm, but a bit bright. Electrostatic attack speed and imaging, and likewise very low distortion. Nice little intimate soundstage. Featherlight design, suspension headband, and very soft velour earpads make these the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. This also makes them a bit flimsy build-wise, but still better than most modern cans. A bit lacking in the bass department since they're stats. Somewhat sloppy decay, oddly enough, and a bit lacking in micro-detail. Very difficult to power, requires (good) speaker taps to get good volume levels without clipping. They are currently being woefully underpowered, so take this evaluation of them with a grain of salt.

3: KOSS Pro/4AAA (heavily modded): Great all-rounders. Very smooth sound with downright excellent bass. Very bassy, but never dark or veiled. Does extremely well on bass-heavy music but still manages to make other genres very listenable. What little it lacks in upper treble extension it makes up for with speed and impact. Great soundstage, good imaging. Gets very slightly congested on complex passages, but no more than an HD600 does. Huge and heavy, somewhat unweildly, kind of uncomfortable. Somewhat difficult to drive. Absolute ******* tanks, these could get run over by a car and survive.

4: Pioneer SE-500 (modded): Remarkably stat-like. Sparkly, extended treble without splash, grain, or distortion. Absolute smoothest sounding headphone I've ever heard. Very lush and "wet" sounding, as opposed to the somewhat dry sound of the TK33. Chameleon soundstage with good (if somewhat diffuse) imaging. Stupidly difficult to drive and no bass to speak of whatsoever, yet somehow very listenable. Comfort is decent, build is good.

5: Sony DR-Z5: Downright excellent portables. Good attack speed and excellent decay. Ruthlessly analytical and revealing. Very flat sound, good bass extension, decent slam. Excellent isolation and no sound leakage. Very, VERY comfortable despite the weight and clamping force. Decently stable, but not good for active uses like jogging. Fold almost completely flat and are very easy to wear around the neck. Fairly high distortion in comparison to the others. Absolutely lacks treble, unfortunately, else these would rank much higher.

The rest: These rarely get used anymore, and thus have more brief descriptions.

6: Pioneer SE-700: Very flat and smooth response, no peaks or resonances or anything of the sort. Extremely low distortion. Unfortunately, even more difficult to power than the SE-500 and somewhat lacks speed and control. I know I still haven't heard these at their best, and unfortunately I might not ever, since the drivers are fragile and easily overvolted. These are one of the sexiest-looking headphones ever made.

7: "Pioneer SE-700RP" (T50RP drivers in an SE-700 shell): Pretty good, definitely a far better implementation than the stock T50RP shell. Flat sound with a slight tilt to bright. Fast attack, good decay, decent soundstage. High distortion is what kills these.

8: Stanton Dynaphase Sixty (modded): Extremely good bass and massive soundstage. A little muddy treble, probably needs new crossovers. Lacks control, gets congested on fast content. Decent speed despite the 2-way design. Double the weight and size of the LCD-2 (no, I'm not exhaggerating) but surprisingly comfortable. 

9: Beyerdynamic DT1350: Good portables. Lacking in attack speed, good decay and control. Sounds very closed in. No soundstage is better than a closed in soundstage. Good treble and bass extension. Decent slam. What ruins these is a terrible haze in the midrange caused by the cup reflections. 

10: Sansui SS-20: Another 2-way design. Very good detail retrieval, better than the Sixty and definitely uncharacteristic of the time period. Good soundstage. Sansui made some nice stuff. However, there's a pretty nasty resonance in the midrange that really just seems to ruin it for me.

11: Numark HV-215v: Decent headphones. These are a retro-DJ style can from the early '90s. As expected, lots of bass emphasis and shelved treble. Honky midsection and overcooked bass. Intriguing driver design. Surprisingly comfortable. Built like a tank.

12: Bang & Olufsen U70: Real stinkers. Sounds like a middier 4AAA with less detail and without any sort of bass slam. Very lacking in speed for an orthodynamic. Not all that comfortable. Very neat design and quite pretty. More of a display piece that just so happens to make noise. 

13: KOSS K/6x Plus: My first headphones ever. Good detail, good treble and bass extension, but kind of muffled sounding. Infamous tin-can veiling so common in headphones from the '80s. Decent comfort and the famous tank-like KOSS build. Still somewhat listenable now.

14: Audio-Technica ATH-M50: Not so crazy about these anymore. Nasty sounding highs and a complete lack of control throughout the spectrum. Very farty bass without true extension. Closed-in sounding. Good build, but not great. My first "audiophile-grade" headphones.

15: Fostex T50RP (stock): Okay, so I technically don't still own a stock T50RP, but I do remember what they sound like. Even more middy sound than any of the others, and an incredibly muffled, veiled, distorty sound. Not very comfortable either. Really bad. 

16: Audatron SH-608R: Nothing will ever top this, in stock form or modded. A Wal-Mart clone of the Numark HV-215v mentioned earlier. I used to like these quite a bit; I don't know what the hell was wrong with my ears back then. Worse build and FAR worse sound than the 215s. High distortion, overcooked bass, no treble, no soundstage, and uncomfortable as sin. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3,320 of 8,138
I got rid of all my headphones after hearing and buying "the one" 

so I'll rank the ones I have owned as well

1. T90 aka "the one"
2. HE500
3. MS-Pro
4. AD900
5. DT 250
6. Atrio M5 
7. M50

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #3,322 of 8,138
Surprised you went with another normal bias if your amplification presumably also has a Pro bias output.

I have a few good reasons for that:

-I wanted to be sure that the "SR-Lambda" I had, with the mineral wool removed, the rebuilt drivers, and a 5-pin Pro bias cable for whatever reason, was indicative of a real SR-Lambda in stock condition. It turned out not to be, not by a long shot. These last two years left me kinda deceived, actually.
-Word is that the original SR-Lambda has the best midrange reproduction of the entire Lambda line. I don't want anything getting in the way of my vocals.
-I didn't like the Nova/numerical arc due to significantly higher clamping force, but it actually turns out that a vintage arc in good condition clamps almost as much, and my first set is just unusually loose in that regard. For this reason, I may start looking into the Lambda Nova Signature once more, provided that I can find a set for sale.

10: Sansui SS-20: Another 2-way design. Very good detail retrieval, better than the Sixty and definitely uncharacteristic of the time period. Good soundstage. Sansui made some nice stuff. However, there's a pretty nasty resonance in the midrange that really just seems to ruin it for me.

I thought nobody else on the entirety of Head-Fi owned a set!

The sound quality seemed decent enough, with unusually good soundstage for a closed set, but the sheer weight and shallow earpads ultimately detract from comfort too much for my tastes. It doesn't help that the original pads on my set were pretty much ruined from old age, so I improvised and barely fit the pads I salvaged from my Panasonic RP-HTF600 (which I would still be using if not for the driver failure).

Part of the reason I actually started shopping around for Head-Fi-worthy headphones was to find out how much better modern sets might have it over the SS-20...or equally vintage sets, in the case of my Stax equipment.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #3,323 of 8,138
Now that I have a new addition

Tier 1A

Sennheiser HD650
AKG K702

Tier 1B

Denon D2000
Modded Fostex T50RP

Tier 2 

AKG K240 Sextett

Tier 3 

Grado SR80I with LCush pads

Tier 4

Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #3,326 of 8,138
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

At home:

1. K401
2. K240M
3. K141M Black
4. K501
5. K400
6. K240DF
7. K141M Gold
8. K240S (Broken)

Not at home:

1. HD25-1 II

Somebody's an AKG man I see.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #3,327 of 8,138
Sennheiser HD650
Grado SR325is
NVX audio XPT100
Shure SE530
V-MODA M100

Although I only ACTUALLY still have the XPT100s and (disasembled) HD650s, however tomorrow I'm going to have the Westone 4Rs.  Getting back in the game a little, heh.

XPT100 was honestly the most worthy headphone I've ever had.  It's great with the biggest variety of music, unfatiguing, musical, and to me pretty neutral.  For only $100.  Definitely more versatile (sonically) than any of my other headphones.  Honestly I think they might be better than the Grados.  Much less fatiguing, pretty decent at Grado's rock/metal game, WHILE being able to excel in many other forms of music

I lied to myself for a while and told myself I liked the M100s, but honestly they just had too much bass for my liking.  

The Westone 4Rs are pretty impressive.  Much more versatile, and less congested than the Shure 530s.  Not to mention the fit is far superior.  The default silicon inserts just seem to fit better (and of course the foam inserts are great as well).  The plastic wire holder seems to be the biggest reason for such a great fit

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #3,328 of 8,138
Still fairly new to audiophile quality headphone appreciation.
Lived with and loved my Shure's for many years before moving into an apartment and feeling the need to move away from speakers.

It now seems to be an addiction , as I want more without being able to justify it. :wink:

Owned and operated a mobile disco business for a few years, so need to resist the temptation to only play "doof, doof" music now.
As we call it in Aussie land.

Here is my list. (first post on Head-Fi)

01. Alessandro MS-Pro

03. Q-701
09. K-601

02. HD-650
06. Momentum
07. Amperior
10. RS-220
11. RS-180

08. Yamaha Pro500

05. Beyer DT-990 Premium

04. Shure E4.

Thinking about adding:
HE-500
LCD-2
HD-800
HD-600

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,329 of 8,138
For me, No 1 by a long way are my HD800's.  After that the list moves around a bit depending on mood / source / music etc, but I am getting more and more impressed with my Shure 1840's - these headphones are very good at everything; brilliant at not a lot. and poor is not a word you would use in any context - a real mid / hi level contender.

After that I go:

HiFiMan HE-500
Sennheiser Amperior
HD650's
AT ATH-W1000 Grandioso

But context matters.  The Amperiors feature high on the list because they are my main portables.

Cheers,

Bob

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #3,330 of 8,138
I have a few good reasons for that:  
-I wanted to be sure that the "SR-Lambda" I had, with the mineral wool removed, the rebuilt drivers, and a 5-pin Pro bias cable for whatever reason, was indicative of a real SR-Lambda in stock condition. It turned out not to be, not by a long shot. These last two years left me kinda deceived, actually.
-Word is that the original SR-Lambda has the best midrange reproduction of the entire Lambda line. I don't want anything getting in the way of my vocals.
-I didn't like the Nova/numerical arc due to significantly higher clamping force, but it actually turns out that a vintage arc in good condition clamps almost as much, and my first set is just unusually loose in that regard. For this reason, I may start looking into the Lambda Nova Signature once more, provided that I can find a set for sale.

I'm no expert, but if your other "Lambda" was driven on Pro bias there's a possibility the drivers may have deteriorated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back