Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2,896 of 8,131
I own the Paradox #5 so hearing you say the JH13 is inferior baffles me a bit; I was planning on getting the JH13 freqphase.

I mean, the T50RP Paradox is fantastic, but I'd compare it to headphones hovering around the 500$ range at most. Overall I'd put it between the HE400 and HE500, but both those headphones have it beat on pure resolution because of the superior drivers. However, the decay and linearity of the Paradox is incredible as that was the main point of the mod; making it a reference/monitoring headphone (as far as I'm concerned).

I'm listening to them right now as we speak as my curiosity was piqued; kind of really underwhelming after coming off a NAD m51>MC225>HD800 rig lol 
biggrin.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,897 of 8,131
I'll throw down lol

Grado Magnum V5 (Woodied/custom headband)
Grado 225i (heavily modded/pimped)
Beyerdynamic DT990 pro
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Superlux HD681 EVO
Audio Technica ATH-WS55 (red)
Klipsch IMAGE S4
poop...lol
SteelSeries Siberia V2

May 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,898 of 8,131
I'll throw down lol

Beyerdynamic DT990 pro

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Superlux HD681 EVO

Klipsch IMAGE S4
poop...lol
SteelSeries Siberia V2

lol is the Siberia really that bad?

May 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,899 of 8,131
I currently own only 2 headphones though I've been through a couple. I'll rate my two and rank a few of my favs according to memory

1. he-300
2. dt990pro
3. dt770pro80 ------ 9.5/10
4. v-moda m80
5. px100ii ------------ 9/10
6. Amperior

May 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,900 of 8,131
Quote:
I'll throw down lol

Beyerdynamic DT990 pro
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Superlux HD681 EVO
Klipsch IMAGE S4
poop...lol
SteelSeries Siberia V2

How much better are the ATH-M50 over the HD681 EVO?  The HD681 EVO is 1/2 the price and I'm wondering whether there is a vast improvement.

May 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,901 of 8,131
Quote:
Preference:
1. JH13
2. W1000X (J$ Beyer pads)
3. HD 650
4. A900X
5. Image X10

I had the Grado HF-2 recently enough that I would place them in between the newly padded W1000X and HD 650, closer to the 650.

W1000X with stock pads would be slightly below the HD 650.

Update:

1. JH13
2. W3000ANV
3. W1000X (J$ Beyer pads)
4. HD 650 / Q701
5. A900X
6. Image X10

Italics were recently sold.

May 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2,902 of 8,131
Quote:
How much better are the ATH-M50 over the HD681 EVO?  The HD681 EVO is 1/2 the price and I'm wondering whether there is a vast improvement.

I wouldn't consider either one better per say...

the EVO wins at bass extension, I feel it reaches a bit lower and has a bit more punch although theM50 has tighter bass

the EVO's mids a similar to the M50's maybe slightly more forward, but not much

I like the M50's highs better... they are very sparkly and bright (some find it too much) whereas the EVO to me sounds a bit rolled off too early.

sound stage on both is meh, the EVO being slightly bigger but not huge... it kinda gives you the impression that you have 3 directions of where sounds come from...

comfort to me is similar both cause sweaty ears with extended listening...

fit and finish on both is nice.

hope that helps... FYI I use my e17 to drive both of these, with no EQ adjustment

May 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,903 of 8,131
I'm going to cheat and rank headphones I've borrowed too.

1. Stax SR-009
2. Stax SR Omega II
3. Audeze LCD-3
4. Sennheiser HD-800
5. Sony MDR-R10 (bass light)
6. Symphones Magnums (V4 and VX in the aluminium sleeves.)
7. Foxtex TH-900
8. AT W3000ANV (I had fit issues though.)

There's very little in it between 3-6 and it comes down to preference really. The order would easily change depending on the amp used, for example. The Fostex at 7 doesn't really tell the full story though: They make up for their lower resolution than the orthos and 'stats by being supremely entertaining with all kinds of music, but with competence for a pair of closed headphones. For that with the cans higher up requires the right kind of tube amp and tubes. The TH-900s are far more forgiving of source and amp but do still scale with better gear.

May 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,904 of 8,131
Quote:
lol is the Siberia really that bad?

From a build and sound quality perspective... yes, but they were a gift and work for my youtube channel

May 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #2,906 of 8,131
Quote:

Ah...  did you just get a pair in "W3000ANV"..  I see you like them a lot.. and over the W1000x 
biggrin.gif

I'm liking them more the more I listen to them.

I was supposed to shave last night and be asleep by 10:30pm. Neither happened because of these.

I woke up early this morning just to listen to them. Still didn't shave. I might be late to work.

AT really pulled off some voodoo to get a traditional dynamic transducer to sound this good (e.g. without bio-cellulose technology, ring transducers and aerospace plastic, or high-tesla drivers).

May 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2,907 of 8,131
An update to the list. Adding another headphone. Using a Schiit Magni on all the headphones.

1.) AKG K240 MKII: Fun and natural sounding. A bit on the dark side. Good bass. Great midrange and vocals. Pleasant and non fatiguing treble. Sounds the best with instruments of the headphones I own. These are my go to headphones for music.

2.) Sennheiser HD 555(soundstage modded): Airy and laid-back sounding, a bit on the bright-side but non-fatiguing. Good bass. Great soundstage, can be a bit scary real in some instances. My go to headphones for gaming and movies. Amplification pretty much fixed the issues had with them in the past(bad timbre and lack of detail).

3.) Sansui SS-2(Brainwavz HM5 pads): My vintage headphones. These have the best midrange of the headphones I own, the vocals are breathtaking and organic and it's midrange sounds extremely natural. The treble is a bit rolled-off and not harsh in any way. Doesn't sound like a closed headphone, surprisingly good imaging and soundstage. These are by far the smoothest sounding headphones I have. What prevents these from being my favorite is their really weak bass-response, it's there but has very little punch and seems recessed. My go to headphones for vocals.

4.) Sennheiser PX-100 ii: Fun and bassy. A slight veil in the treble. Good soundstage. My go to headphones for bassy music and portable use.

5.) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro: I do not like these headphones on the Schiit Magni at all, sterile and lifeless yet bassy and bright. Seems to bring out the worst in music. I loved these on a warm tube amp, but they are a horrible match with the Magni in my opinion. These are good headphones, but they are a bad match for my system, thus I'm planning on selling them as I won't be able to get an amp to bring out their potential for a long time.

May 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,908 of 8,131
Quote:
An update to the list. Adding another headphone. Using a Schiit Magni on all the headphones.

1.) AKG K240 MKII: Fun and natural sounding. A bit on the dark side. Good bass. Great midrange and vocals. Pleasant and non fatiguing treble. Sounds the best with instruments of the headphones I own. These are my go to headphones for music.

2.) Sennheiser HD 555(soundstage modded): Airy and laid-back sounding, a bit on the bright-side but non-fatiguing. Good bass. Great soundstage, can be a bit scary real in some instances. My go to headphones for gaming and movies. Amplification pretty much fixed the issues had with them in the past(bad timbre and lack of detail).

3.) Sansui SS-2(Brainwavz HM5 pads): My vintage headphones. These have the best midrange of the headphones I own, the vocals are breathtaking and organic and it's midrange sounds extremely natural. The treble is a bit rolled-off and not harsh in any way. Doesn't sound like a closed headphone, surprisingly good imaging and soundstage. These are by far the smoothest sounding headphones I have. What prevents these from being my favorite is their really weak bass-response, it's there but has very little punch and seems recessed. My go to headphones for vocals.

4.) Sennheiser PX-100 ii: Fun and bassy. A slight veil in the treble. Good soundstage. My go to headphones for bassy music and portable use.

5.) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro: I do not like these headphones on the Schiit Magni at all, sterile and lifeless yet bassy and bright. Seems to bring out the worst in music. I loved these on a warm tube amp, but they are a horrible match with the Magni in my opinion. These are good headphones, but they are a bad match for my system, thus I'm planning on selling them as I won't be able to get an amp to bring out their potential for a long time.

Yeah the Magni won't do any favors to hp's with overly emphasized freqs. It's a very good amp and I was really impressed with it, but it will emphasize warts n' all, if there are any warts that is...

May 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,910 of 8,131
Quote:
Yeah the Magni won't do any favors to hp's with overly emphasized freqs. It's a very good amp and I was really impressed with it, but it will emphasize warts n' all, if there are any warts that is...

Yea, that's what I noticed about the amp. Compared to the Hifiman EF2A(stopped working after a few weeks) I had in the past, it's really flat and sterile on the DT 990s. Really good for warm and dark headphones though, seems perfect for darker or more neutral Senns. It can be a little harsh in the treble on the K240s at times due to the K240s 10khz spike, but the spike never causes me fatigue on the K240s and doesn't bother me much, but I would like a tad of the edge taken off. I would like an amp that smooths out the treble more though. Any suggestions on an amp that smooths out and tames the treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back