Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2,821 of 8,134
Quote:

The differences wasn't huge, but the depth was still deeper on the HP1000s to my ears. 

The top one is the HP1000 and the bottom one is the GS1000 (measure very similarly as the PS1000s).

The very natural treble of the HP1000s was also quite good. Joe Grado really had an ear. 

FWIW, GS1000 vs. PS1000:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoGS1000.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoPS1000.pdf

Very close measuring and sounding, but I do slightly prefer the PS1000s, but the GS1000s are sure light and easy on the head WRT comfort.

Not trying to be a smart *****, but i don't care too much for graphs, i believe that it's the sum of the whole system that counts, if you have a brighter sounding source, a neutral amp and headphones with a rolled off treble, the en result might sound very good, even tough two of it's components don't have the flattest frequency responce. And even if the whole system ends up being far from flat, it's still might sound good to some people. Also if they told the whole story, most Grado headphones would be unlistenable, but i admit that i'm surprised that, on paper at least, the HP1000 do seem to have more bass than either the GS and PS1000.

It's not hard for me to understand that you, and many others i'm sure, prefer the sound of the HP1000 over that of the PS1000, the HP1000 are wonderful sounding headphones. And like i said, it's not a night and day difference, and to tell you the truth, i consider myself very lucky to have the liberty to chose between these fine sounding headphones for my listening sessions, it's a nice ''problem'' to have. Even my SR80i bring a smile to my face everytime i put them on, my GS1000 are the ones that get the less headtime.

There's nothing i like more than to reading positive comments where people have found the ''perfect'' headphones for them, i have, and mine are the PS1000, by a hair
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,823 of 8,134
Quote:

Not trying to be a smart *****, but i don't care too much for graphs, i believe that it's the sum of the whole system that counts, if you have a brighter sounding source, a neutral amp and headphones with a rolled off treble, the en result might sound very good, even tough two of it's components don't have the flattest frequency responce. And even if the whole system ends up being far from flat, it's still might sound good to some people. Also if they told the whole story, most Grado headphones would be unlistenable, but i admit that i'm surprised that, on paper at least, the HP1000 do seem to have more bass than either the GS and PS1000.

It's not hard for me to understand that you, and many others i'm sure, prefer the sound of the HP1000 over that of the PS1000, the HP1000 are wonderful sounding headphones. And like i said, it's not a night and day difference, and to tell you the truth, i consider myself very lucky to have the liberty to chose between these fine sounding headphones for my listening sessions, it's a nice ''problem'' to have. Even my SR80i bring a smile to my face everytime i put them on, my GS1000 are the ones that get the less headtime.

There's nothing i like more than to reading positive comments where people have found the ''perfect'' headphones for them, i have, and mine are the PS1000, by a hair
wink.gif

No worries. And if you ever want to sell your HP1000s to a fellow Canuck, just let me know. 
size]

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,824 of 8,134
Apr 22, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,829 of 8,134
Quote:

wink.gif

I'd be curious to hear your HP1000's at the next Mtl meet, make sure to be there! Benjamin made a custom HP1000 with Martin Custom audio. I've also tried his custom wood magnums which were really unique.
Quote:
No worries. And if you ever want to sell your HP1000s to a fellow Canuck, just let me know. 
size]

Better watch out, if I like'em I might be making an offer too
tongue_smile.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2,830 of 8,134
Whoever can guess my list will get a free headphone.

Sennheiser HD800 balanced/se Sennheiser HD600 (580 headband) se Audeze LCD2 rev.1 (last batch) balanced/se Sony MDR CD3000 balanced/se Sony MDR SA3000 dual xlr balanced/se Sony MDR CD850 dual xlr balanced/se Sony MDR CD950 dual xlr balanced/se Sony MDR CD480 x 2 se Fischer Audio FA-011 balanced/se Fischer Audio FA-003/w balanced/se Stax SR-Lambda Professional w/revised 202 pads Stax SR-Omega - on loan to a friend saving for BHSE. Stax SR-202 w/Lambda Pro pads Stax SR-34 Stax SR-001MKII Ultrasone H-Fi 2400 Sennheiser HD438 modded /se Koss UR40 modded /balanced

IEMS: JVC FX700 Sennheiser IE7 recabled Sony EX90SP Ultimate Ears MetroFi 100 Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200 Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220 Fischer Audio Tau!

Ill take anything :)

May 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2,831 of 8,134
Been a while, and I've gotten more headphones and modded a few.

1: Sony DR-Z5: An old beast from the late 1970's/early 80's. Designed for portable CD players, which were just developed at the time, and is thus very easy to drive.  Two words: Holy crap. Extremely detailed and fast. Their decay is instantaneous; better than the DT1350's even, and their attack is comparable to that of a high-end Grado. Neutral and flat, with very deep bass extension. Very slightly lacking in impact, more stat-like. Excellent imaging, relatively deep soundstage but very little width. Treble is amazing, cymbals are there and gone almost instantaneously with no splash or distortion. Absolutely no sound leakage and great isolation. Somewhat finicky fit, but very comfortable. Built like a tank and looks quite handsome. Possibly the best portable headphone in existence. Absolutely unbelievable.

2: KOSS Pro/4AAAA "Quad-A": This is the name I have given my modded 4AAA. They have been completely rewired with OFC, have dual-sided detachable cables and have been converted to a vented open-back design. Very warm and lush with a very smooth frequency response.  Euphonic and impactful. Well-detailed and controlled sound. Very wide and deep soundstage with great imaging. Speaker-like bass, very tactile. Absolutely perfect isolation but lots of sound leakage due to the open back. Decent comfort, but pads are old and hard. Will be replaced soon. Very heavy; huge and tank-like. Difficult to drive so usage is typically reserved for home use. Excels with trance, EBM, hardstyle, etc. Sees a lot of use.

3: Beyerdynamic DT1350: Somewhat neutral. Very tightly controlled, lots of detail. Very good low end. Somewhat hazy midrange; artificial sounding treble. Warm and euphonic out of sub-par equipment but neutral and ruthlessly revealing when used with a better source. Very DAC-dependent. Excellent decay, decent attack. Somewhat diffuse imaging, very small soundstage. Amazing isolation and build quality. Very comfortable and stable. Light yet tank-like design, almost entirely made of nextel-coated aluminum. 

4: Pioneer SE-700: Extremely neutral and flat with somewhat rolled off bass and upper treble. Excellent imaging but absolutely no soundstage. Somewhat thin with moderate attack and decay. Becomes fuller and faster out of more powerful amplifiers. Build is good, with lots of aluminum integrated into the design. One of the most gorgeous headphones ever made. Fit is somewhat loose and finicky, and the thin pads are bad for comfort. Since it was designed for speaker taps, this headphone is harder to drive than the HiFiMAN HE-6. The piezoelectric principle makes it unbelievably insensitive and its impedance is infinite. Aren't used very much due to this. 

5: Pioneer SE-500: Similar to the SE-700 but even less bass due to the thinner diaphragm. Bright. More detailed and significantly easier to power than the SE-700 (though the SE-700 might be better with proper equipment). Even though they're bass-less, they are very exciting to listen to. Not quite as flat as the SE-700. Excellent imaging, decent soundstage. Much more snug fit-wise than the SE-700 and more comfortable too. They're different, but they still see some use.

6: KOSS K/6x Plus "Digital Ready": These headphones are pretty bad. These were my first headphones. I got them from a garage sale when I was somewhere around 12. They are very bassy, and have good treble and decent mids. Good imaging, but lacking soundstage. The deal breaker on this is the infamous "tin-can" veiling so common in headphones from the 80's. They also do not seal properly on the head due to the fixed yoke design, and thus aren't very comfortable either. However, KOSS's build quality is wonderful. Extremely sturdy plastic, aluminum struts, metal baffle. Very light. 

7: AKG K240 Studio: I do not like these headphones. They are moderately detailed with an incredibly warm and airy signature, and beautiful treble. However... they have absolutely no control of the diaphragm. The attack and decay are so slow that it is possible to physically see the driver moving, which is extremely bad. They have a small soundstage and decent imaging. Somewhat passive and lacking in impact. Extremely comfortable and light, built like a tank, and has a nice detachable cable. I really want to like this headphone but I just don't.

8: Audio-Technica ATH-M50: Had these for almost 3 years now, and I've grown tired of them. Their low end doesn't have good extension and the highs are shrill and piercing. The lower mids simply aren't there, giving it a very hollow, thin sound. Not very fast in either attack or decay, and not very detailed because of it. No soundstage, poor imaging. Comfort is decent, fit is very loose. Basically just an all-around "meh". Extremely overrated; not recommended as anything but a first headphone, and be prepared to sell it because you're gonna want something better after a while. I'm keeping mine because it was a gift.

9: Sony MDR-SA3000: I'm sorry, but these headphones are terrible. They try to fake being fast by being trebley and dry, when in fact they lag behind headphones like the DR-Z5 and my friend's RS2i quite considerably. The entire sound is crammed up into the high registers. They lack any form of body or impact; very thin and uninvolving. There are no lower mids or bass, it's basically like listening to a 2-way headphone that only has the tweeter. Not a particularly good tweeter either. Their presentation sounds very closed-in, everything comes from a single spot in front of you with very little width and depth. Put simply, they don't do anything right. Can't believe these headphones are rated so highly.

Cheers!

May 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,832 of 8,134
Greetings. I would first like to say that I am new to the boards and looking forward to combing the threads for good info on all types and brands of headphones. Anyway,my rankings are:

1. Hifiman HE-300
2. Grado SR60
3. Harman Kardon CL
4. Soul By Ludacris SL99
5. Fostex T20RP MKII
6. Realistic Pro IIA

May 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #2,833 of 8,134
I've got some new additions as well, and I would rank my current headphones:

1. Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ω
2. Sennheiser HD598
3. Etymotic HF5
4. Astrotec AM-90