Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 10, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #7,847 of 8,134
1. HD580
1. HD600
1. HD650
4. RS-1e (still working on getting these just exactly perfect, but I sense potential here, and I freely admit that I’m a sucker for the mahogany and leather construction)

But for the Grados, which are relatively new to me, I could have written this same list many, many years ago. Like @BobG55, LOTS of other headphones have come and gone in the past several years (I actively practice catch and release), many with big reputations (and even bigger price tags), and a few more than once, but these have stayed. Indeed, my 580’s date back to the previous millennium, and a few pad changes later, they are still in regular use, near-permanently plugged into the HA160DS on the desk in my home office.

YMMV, just my $,03, etc., ad nauseum.
I'll bet your list looks much different in 2023. 🤔 please tell. 😊

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #7,848 of 8,134
1. HE6 SEV2 - Reference Quality / HE-500 OG - So Musical (Can't pick)
2. Ultrasone Master Signature (Favorite Closed Back I've Owned)
3. HD600 (Marble - My favorite of all Sennheiser's - Gorgeous Female Vocals)
4. Ultrasone 780 / Sivga SV021

(Like these a lot but they are - Category of "Fun" - Favorite Budget Cans For Me - Great For Bass / EDM)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #7,849 of 8,134
I think out of What I have at the moment I would say
1) Stax L300
2) Fostex TH900 (Custom Lawton wood cups and mod)
3)Tie Koss ESP95x / Bowers and Wilkins P7 Wireless
4) Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
5) Sennheiser HD600

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #7,850 of 8,134
1. ZMF Atrium (Cocobolo)
2. ZMF Verite Open (Stabilised)
3. Sennheiser HD-600 (Custom Cans UK mod)
4. Focal Clear (original / Dekoni pads)
5. Grado RS-1 (original)
6. ZMF Eikon (Cocobolo) …

…many factors, sonic and otherwise, affect the ranking - which may change…

EDIT: a numerical ranking itself should not connote a quality ‘chasm’ between headphones 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #7,851 of 8,134
1. ZMF Atrium (Cocobolo)
2. ZMF Verite Open (Stabilised)
3. Sennheiser HD-600 (custom cans UK mod)
4. Focal Clear (original)
5. Grado RS-1 (original)
6. ZMF Eikon (Cocobolo) …

…many factors, sonic and otherwise, affect the ranking - which may change…
Ohhhh hot take with the placement of the hd600! I like it :). I have a bocote eikon and would place it above the custom can modded hd600, but not by much, honestly.

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #7,852 of 8,134
I'll bet your list looks much different in 2023. 🤔 please tell. 😊
Lol - not very different at all, really, but I’ll add more details and a couple things I left out of the last lazy post:

1. LCD-3*
2. CC modified HD600 (marble)**
3. CC modified HD580 (600 grilles)
3. CC modified HD650
4. Sennheiser CX wireless earbuds (travel only, replaced HD280 pro for most situations).
5. Sennheiser HD280 pro - for plugging into the iPhone when sitting outside smoking a cigar while on vacation and the Bluetooth speaker is not appropriate.

*I’m having an ongoing torrid love affair with the LCD-3 since I got them during the Audeze November Sale, and I’m still in the process of dialing them in with cables - both wire and 6.3 vs xlr (my main amp has both, but it is connected single ended on the input end, so it’s not a really a contest between balanced and single-ended) - in fact, have a set of ZMF (6.3) and a set of Custom Cables UK (xlr) in the mail - nothing crazy, just good quality at sane prices.

**While all of the Sennheisers benefitted from the CC mod, the HD600 benefitted the most (to my ears), and that nudged them just ahead of the other two lovelies. That being said, the HD650 are my go to for beddy-bye, and the HD580 are my choice when sitting at the desktop. The other two are strictly for concentrated listening on the main music system, sometimes while reading a book.

YMMV, IMHO, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #7,853 of 8,134
Lol - not very different at all, really, but I’ll add more details and a couple things I left out of the last lazy post:

1. LCD-3*
3. CC modified HD650
4. Sennheiser CX wireless earbuds (travel only, replaced HD280 pro for most situations).
5. Sennheiser HD280 pro - for plugging into the iPhone when sitting outside smoking a cigar while on vacation and the Bluetooth speaker is not appropriate.

*I’m having an ongoing torrid love affair with the LCD-3 since I got them during the Audeze November Sale, and I’m still in the process of dialing them in with cables - both wire and 6.3 vs xlr (my main amp has both, but it is connected single ended on the input end, so it’s not a really a contest between balanced and single-ended) - in fact, have a set of ZMF (6.3) and a set of Custom Cables UK (xlr) in the mail - nothing crazy, just good quality at same prices.

**While all of the Sennheisers benefitted from the CC mod, the HD600 benefitted the most (to my ears), and that nudged them just ahead of the other two lovelies. That being said, the HD650 are my go to for beddy-bye, and the HD580 are my choice when sitting at the desktop. The other two are strictly for concentrated listening on the main music system, sometimes while reading a book.

The RS-1 has left the building?

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #7,856 of 8,134
Hi, can you explain the cc mod please.
There is a great deal of recent discussion about it in the 650/6xx and 600 threads, but best to get it from the horses mouth:

https://jfunk.org/wpc/product/hd600-hd650-cnc-copper-mass-loading-mod-diy-kit/

It’s relatively inexpensive, almost totally reversible (I wouldn’t be able to replace the outer foam disc after removal, although I’m told it can be done), and I’ve yet to hear of anyone who was unhappy with the result. Comes in two sonically identical flavors - raw copper or, for a few extra £, nickel plated. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #7,857 of 8,134
ahh, found it on you tube.

Anyone tried with the hd660s?

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #7,858 of 8,134
ahh, found it on you tube.

Anyone tried with the hd660s?
The 660S has a different driver - I do not believe that it fits. This particular mod is made for the 580/600/650/6xx. @jfunk (the creator) is an active member here and a great guy - shoot him a pm; he could advise as to whether there is a kit in the works for the 660S.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #7,859 of 8,134
👍

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #7,860 of 8,134

1. LCD-3*
3. CC modified HD650

*I’m having an ongoing torrid love affair with the LCD-3 since I got them during the Audeze November Sale, and I’m still in the process of dialing them in with cables - both wire and 6.3 vs xlr (my main amp has both, but it is connected single ended on the input end, so it’s not a really a contest between balanced and single-ended) - in fact, have a set of ZMF (6.3) and a set of Custom Cables UK (xlr) in the mail - nothing crazy, just good quality at sane prices.

Congrats on the LCD-3. It is a great sounding headphone.
On first listen I was hooked on just a few bass notes!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back