Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 21, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #7,833 of 8,138
1. DCA Expanse
2. DCA Aeon 2 Noire
3. Focal Bathys

Although the Expanse is my number one, I have to say the Aeon Noire is special to me. It was the first closed back headphone that made me go “wow”. I used to be more of an IEM person due to portability but DCA have truly made headphones more worth it for me.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #7,834 of 8,138
I think it's easier for me to make a tier list than an outright ranking. This is all with my ears, my preferences, and in my system, as I know a few of the places seem wild to some people. I thought about writing a more in-depth description of why I ranked everything the way I did with the stand-out music recommendations for each headphone, but I might do that some other time instead.

Tier 1:

Hifiman HE1000 v1 w/ v2 pads
Audeze LCD3 w/ Dekoni solid leather pads

Tier 2:
Hifiman HE500 w/ ZMF Auteur perforated suede pads
Focal Clear w/ Dekoni suede perforated pads
Sony MDR7520
Fostex TH600 w/Lawton African Wenge cups and ZMF solid leather Ori pads
Sennheiser HD800S 75th Anniversary

Tier 3:
ZMF Eikon (cocobolo) w/ ZMF solid suede Universe pads
AKG K7XX

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #7,835 of 8,138
1. Arya V2
2. Denon D9200
3. Clear OG
4. Radiance

I'm considering selling the Clears.
The D9200 does everything better.
The Radiance has better bass and a more relaxed warm sound, while offering near ANC level of noise reduction.
This combo makes the Clears kind of redundant.

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #7,836 of 8,138
I like the Tier system better:

Tier 1 - almost no weakness or is extraordinary in one or more areas (with EQ):
HEK v1 w/ v2 pads
HE6se
2022 LCD3

Tier 2 - 1-2 weak areas (with EQ):
Focal Clear OG (<- Utopia goes in this tier as well, unfortunately)
ETA mini closed

Tier 3 - more than 2 weak areas (with EQ):
HD650
Grado PS500
Grado HF2

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #7,837 of 8,138
I also like the tier system more because a higher tier headphone doesn’t mean I like or use them more than a lower tier headphone. I may enjoy certain presentations, tunings, sonic traits, and/or comfort more on some of the lower tier headphones. The tier system allows me to easily rank headphones based on how I rate their sound quality and how I feel I should group them based on what I think their fidelity tier is.

My favorite list/most used list is going to quite different and can be quite mood dependent and I often internally debate myself whether I should put a higher tier headphone above a lower tier even though I like the lower tier headphone more. Just because a headphone is in a higher tier doesn’t necessarily mean I like it and vice versa.

S-Tier (Amazing in many ways and extreme fidelity):
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm (modded)

A-Tier (Very competent and distinctly high fidelity):
Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3
Kaldas RR 1 Conquest (microsuede pads)

B-Tier (Competent and high fidelity):
Altiat Cal.1H
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x

C-Tier (Competent but may have a few issues or lacking some fidelity):
AKG K612 Pro
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
JVC HA-FW01
Sennheiser HD 400 Pro

D-Tier (Lacking some fidelity and not quite fully competent):
AKG K245
AKG K275
Apple AirPods Pro

E-Tier (Meh)
Nothing currently

F-Tier (Trash)
Nothing currently

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #7,838 of 8,138
I also like the tier system more because a higher tier headphone doesn’t mean I like or use them more than a lower tier headphone. I may enjoy certain presentations, tunings, sonic traits, and/or comfort more on some of the lower tier headphones. The tier system allows me to easily rank headphones based on how I rate their sound quality and how I feel I should group them based on what I think their fidelity tier is.

My favorite list/most used list is going to quite different and can be quite mood dependent and I often internally debate myself whether I should put a higher tier headphone above a lower tier even though I like the lower tier headphone more. Just because a headphone is in a higher tier doesn’t necessarily mean I like it and vice versa.

S-Tier (Amazing in many ways and extreme fidelity):
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm (modded)

A-Tier (Very competent and distinctly high fidelity):
Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3
Kaldas RR 1 Conquest (microsuede pads)

B-Tier (Competent and high fidelity):
Altiat Cal.1H
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x

C-Tier (Competent but may have a few issues or lacking some fidelity):
AKG K612 Pro
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
JVC HA-FW01
Sennheiser HD 400 Pro

D-Tier (Lacking some fidelity and not quite fully competent):
AKG K245
AKG K275
Apple AirPods Pro

E-Tier (Meh)
Nothing currently

F-Tier (Trash)
Nothing currently

I laughed too hard seeing that 480 always climb. It is crazy to see u rank higher tier wise than t1.3

But in saying that..

I won't speak on bass or treble here since it can be a plus or minus depending on genre.. but the mids and more specifically the human voice on the 48A/480 is magic.

I prefer 48A/480 to t5p.ii for vocal realism and to my ears have only heard equal on very high end setups.

I think for looks the Sigma is still my fav because it looks so ridiculous but also has very unique presentation.

The best I've heard (overall) at shows is the x9k electrostat to my ears was perfect.

The most used for me is Galaxy buds + (sleep) and earpods (wired) with foam tips (YouTube) and 660s (comfort)

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #7,840 of 8,138
1) Focal Utopia (old version)
2) Hifiman Arya, after Dekoni fenestrated leather pads and bending the metal frame apart for less clamp
3) Audeze LCD-X 2021
4) HD800S

If I didn’t have the Utopia, I’d rank the LCD-X higher because it’s better for rock and metal than Utopia to me, just has some sibilance and has trouble with songs that are hot in and of themselves.
HD800S is basically not in use, but every time I think, I wanna sell it, let me try it one last time though - it is just too good.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #7,841 of 8,138
I laughed too hard seeing that 480 always climb. It is crazy to see u rank higher tier wise than t1.3

But in saying that..

I won't speak on bass or treble here since it can be a plus or minus depending on genre.. but the mids and more specifically the human voice on the 48A/480 is magic.

I prefer 48A/480 to t5p.ii for vocal realism and to my ears have only heard equal on very high end setups.

I think for looks the Sigma is still my fav because it looks so ridiculous but also has very unique presentation.

The best I've heard (overall) at shows is the x9k electrostat to my ears was perfect.

The most used for me is Galaxy buds + (sleep) and earpods (wired) with foam tips (YouTube) and 660s (comfort)
I’ve always found the DT 480 was a higher fidelity tier than the Teslas honestly. I haven’t owned anything I felt was quite in the same fidelity tier as the DT 480 yet, I have some that come close but not quite there. I have heard better headphones myself but none were within my reach price wise.

And yes the vocals and midrange are basically unmatched, extremely organic sounding there, not only do they have a huge sound image of the vocals and midrange, it just shows nuances and details that you just don't hear in most other headphones and also has incredible dynamic range. They have this uncanny ability to cut through sonic grunge and fuzz and portray a very competent and resolving sound image on just about everything. You hear the subtleties and problems with recordings much easier as it can properly separate and resolve the sounds.

But that being said the T1.3 is my favorite and most used headphone as it does everything well to my ears, is distinctly higher fidelity than most of my other headphones, and is one of the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever owned.

Some of these ratings can possibly change as I go up the gear ladder and try more gear on them as some headphones don’t truly start showing their potential until on high end gear and/or with the right synergy.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #7,842 of 8,138
Intro:
Alright, it's the end of the year. Time to rank my favorite headphones for 2022 🥳
This list is for my preference and opinion. I will only list headphones I own/use to owned in 2022. If I didn't own them in 2022, it doesn't count for me. What I look for in a headphone is Natural Vocal Reproduction > Instrumental Timbre > Sweet Sounding (not a big fan of analytical sounds) > Music Weight (Don't want the music to sound thin) > Sub-bass > Clarity > Soundstage (I only want soundstage in classical music). I think I might be the weirdo when it comes to soundstage, I like small and intimate soundstage. I don't like it when the soundstage is too huge. I also own the Polk Reserve R200 speakers if I really want soundstage.

I used to listen to everything, but for the last 4 years, I have been exclusively listening to Jrock/Jmusic and classical music for some reason. I also like live symphony movie tracks. Any other music genre has to be before the 2000s for me.

***Headphones I owned currently in 2022***

AKG K240 Sextett EP
AKG K340 (Red Driver Version)
Audio Technica L3000
Audio Technica W10VTG (my travel headphone)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ω
Mezes 99 Classics Walnut Gold (my travel headphone)
👑Onkyo A800 using mod (let me replace the cable with any cable) LQI Silver 3.5mm Cable
Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee
ZMF Caldera Kingwood LTD

***My Ex-Headphones I sold in 2022***
Audeze MM-500
Focal Clear OG
Hifiman Edition XS
Hifiman HE-R9 JM Stealth Mod
Meze 109 Pro
Sennheiser HD600 (2019 or later version)
Sony MDR-Z1R

Here is my ranking:
Onkyo A800 (Favorite headphones of all time. It does everything right for me, has the most natural vocal reproduction, the best acoustic guitar sound, and sub-bass sounds and feels like an IMAX Movie theater to me, clarity is not the best, but good enough, and small but intimate soundstage. Its an all-around great headphone and I hope everyone at least try it if they get the chance. I know its not for everyone, but its still the funnest/best sounding headphone for me.)
*Current Source: Roon > Mojo Audio Mystique EVO (Basic) > Nitsch Magni Piety
*Old Source: Foobar2000 > Musician Audio Pegasus R2R > Cayin HA-3A (Stock RCA 22DE4) (Pair of Phillips SQ - E80CC / 6085 - Holland - 1960 -) and (Pair of Mazda 6V6GT Grey Glass - 1953 -)

2. Audio Technica L3000 (If Onkyo A800 is for natural sounds, let me get that rock n roll distortion with the L3000! An extremely fun-sounding headphone and looks great. Decent size soundstage for a close back, but with excellent imaging. Got that good old warm AT tuning and its addicting.)
*Old Source: Foobar2000 > Musician Audio Pegasus R2R > Cayin HA-3A (Stock RCA 22DE4) (Pair of Phillips SQ - E80CC / 6085 - Holland - 1960 -) and (Pair of Mazda 6V6GT Grey Glass - 1953 -)

3. Audio Technica W10VTG ( I think I like this headphone because its the most use headphone for me. I use this headphone 5 days a week when I am not in the house. A warm seductive vocals headphone that I love. It also got that good old warm AT tuning.)
*On The Go Source: Lotoo Paw Gold Touch

4. ZMF Caldera Kingwood LTD (Very solid headphones, but I feel like its solid for everything. It has great clarity, great soundstage, but I feel like it doesn't give any particular spotlight. Like for example, the when using the W10VTG, I'm looking for vocals. When using the Caldera, I am not too sure what I'm looking for, everything just sound good. I heard the Caldera is like a chameleon, so if your source is good, the Caldera could soar. Currently finding a good amp for it. I still think the Caldera is the best headphone I owned, just not made for me at the moment.)

5. Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee (Loved the HD600. The HD580 Jubilee version is smoother, but less clarity than the 2019 HD600. I prefer the smoothness over the bright 2019 HD600)

6. Audeze MM-500 (Even though I sold it, I like the MM-500 a lot. It had the best clarity for vocals from memory, everything else sounded pretty good, not amazing. Very clean sub-bass sound. I sold it because I wanted to funds to try more headphones. I would buy this back, but I think I might wait for them to make a sequel for this headphone if Audeze ever makes one.)

7. AKG K240 Sextett EP / AKG K340 (Red Driver Version) (Both great headphones especially for the value you get them. My biggest issue is comfort, especially on the K340).

Conclusion:
Sorry I know I wrote a lot, so I will keep it short and end my list here. Just know, I have been stuck in mid-fi hell and have been buying a lot of entry-level/mid-fi headphones. If the headphone is not on the list, I didn't really care about them and sold them probably in a month I owned them. Just know if I still own them, I still really like them, except for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (sorry DT 770 Pro fans).

🎆Have A Happy New Year Guys, 2023 Here We Come!🎆

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #7,843 of 8,138
I’ve been struggling with this list for a while but I think I’m finally ready to put down an actual ranking (including two more pairs I’ve purchased since this proto ranking):

1. Sennheiser HD6XX: I love these things. Most people here are already familiar with them, so there’s no much else I can say, but the warmth and ‘gooey’ smoothness to them is just so comforting. What’s surprising about them is that they have a fair bit of detail. Perhaps not as much as some of the TOTL headphones people talk about on this board, but the 6XX are more detailed than they’re given credit for. That comforting sound of a warm blanket is deceiving because you’d think it’s a sound signature that trades off technical sophistication for that warm sound, but it doesn’t. For a $220 headphone, I find these very technically proficient. And that’s in addition to the lovely warm sound. These things also feel well built (despite being largely plastic) and they’re deceptively comfortable. When I first put them on each time, they have a decent clamp and don’t feel particularly comfortable, and yet 4 hours later I’m still going with no issue at all. They seem to get more comfortable the longer they’re on, which is the opposite of most headphones. One other point that needs to be made is the power requirements are vastly overrated. I mean, I have to turn up my Topping L30 louder than I do with other headphones I have, but these still manage to sound great straight out of my iPhone with just the Apple dongle.

2. Grado Hemp: These live up to the hype. They’re clear, impactful, surprisingly detailed, and have nice punchy bass, while still retaining the Grado sound signature. I’ve loved my SR60 for nearly 20 years (they were my first pair of real audiophile headphones) and after thinking about upgrading to a wooden pair for a long time, I’m glad I took the plunge. These headphones are exciting. While they’re mid-focused in the same way the 6XX are, the Hemp sound entirely different, in that they’re more upper-mids and they’re extremely forward, as opposed to laid back. The old adage is true about Sennheiser sounding like you’re in a beautiful concert theater and Grado sounding like you’re up on stage with the band. As a friend of mine commented upon hearing my Hemp, these sound like you’re at a music festival. They’re punchy and exciting. They take everything I’ve always liked about the SR60 and supercharge it with more clarity, greater detail, far better bass, and just a more refined sound all around. They’re also beautiful to look at. The two drawbacks for me are comfort (ie. I have to take a break after 45 minutes, as the flat pads can make your ears sore after a while) as well as the annoying kinks in the cord, where because the cups swivel 360 degrees, the Y cord will press against your cheek if not rotated properly. But overall, I absolutely love these headphones. For many genres of music, these beat the above 6XX. Anything with strings or acoustic based music sounds incredible on these. But unlike some other Grados that only sound good with that type of music, the Hemp are far more multifunctional due to their improved low end. And regarding the highs, as forward as they are, they’re never piercing. So even though Grados can be known to be bright, they still manage to be smooth and enjoyable, not harsh at all. I love these things.

3. Apple AirPods Max: These are both overrated and underrated at the same time. On one hand, you have non-audiophiles who may believe these are some of the best sounding headphones around, due to their price tag and the fact that Apple makes them. But then on the other hand, you have people people trying to write them off as merely a gimmick from a consumer tech company. Both of those views are wrong. Can you find better sounding headphones for $550? Absolutely. If your one and only concern is sound quality, there are better options out there. But these are absolutely audiophile grade headphones. They sound excellent. The sub-bass is the real star. It’s powerful and very present without feeling bloated. The bass is good, the mids and highs are decent, and the soundstage is pretty good for a closed back. I find the instrument separation is quite good and the dynamics are excellent, although the detail retrieval is merely okay. The best way I can describe it is that in a multilayered track, you can hear every note, but some of those notes may not have the kind of texture you’d hope for in this price range. The way I’d put it is that the detail is good but the microdetail is merely okay.

Of course, that entire description is missing half the puzzle. Aside from sounding good, the APM are wireless, they’re fantastically built, they have the best noise cancellation and transparency modes in the industry, they’re comfortable, and they have all sorts of other great features like ear detection, auto-switching, spatial audio and so on, if you’re in the Apple ecosystem. So if you think about these as a $550 audiophile headphone, there are better options out there. But if you think of these as a $300 audiophile headphone with $250 in awesome and highly useful smart features and convenience factors, these things are incredible. I highly recommend them to anyone in the Apple ecosystem who has the budget.

4. Grado SR60: Initially I ranked these a lot lower in my above quoted proto list, but after spending a lot more time with them, I realized why I loved them to begin with. I picked them up nearly 20 years ago and they still sound great. After listening to them for years and loving them, I eventually ‘upgraded’ to more expensive headphones like the Audio Technica A900, and so my SR60s sat in a drawer for years, with me not going back to them because I thought I had evolved past them. Turns out that view was wrong. They still sound amazing. When I first pulled them out of the drawer a few months ago, they didn’t sound that great to me. I don’t know if there was dust buildup in the driver or if it was purely a mental thing, but the sound wasn’t what I remembered. Then after spending some time with them, they started to sound fantastic to me again. Now that the have the Hemp, the SR60 are clearly not at the same level, but they still sound excellent and I love that Grado sound.

5. Koss KPH30i: I really struggled with this placement. These are super cheap, not well built, and they sound less technically proficient than a bunch of the headphones below on this list, and yet I absolutely love them. The way these things are tuned is just perfect. They strike the perfect balance. Even though they’re lower resolution than something like the A900, I enjoy them far more. I feel guilt placing these so high because they were a whopping $20 from Drop and because I recognize that they don’t have the resolution and body of most others on this list, and yet I can’t help but love these headphones.

6. Apple AirPods Pro: A jack of all trades, master of none in terms of sound. These sound good across the board, but never great. They’re solid, inoffensive performers through and through. Decent lows, decent mids, decent highs, decent soundstage, decent detail, decent dynamics. These are something that everyone can like but no one can really love. The reason so many people do love them is because of their convenience factor. I literally take these with me everywhere I go. You know that small change pocket within the pocket in your jeans? That’s where I put these every time I leave the house. The significance of that is huge. Most people don’t take very many items with them in their pockets when they go places. Wallet. Keys. Phone. That’s pretty much it. The AirPods Pro are the first time since the advent of the cell phone that I’ve added a new object to my pocket at all times. That is positively massive. I now have access to headphones wherever I go, any time of day. That’s a brand new phenomenon in our society. The AirPods Pro are like a step towards bionics, where we, as human beings, have an audio device we have almost constant access to.

If this list wasn’t about sound quality and was purely a question of which headphones I’d choose overall, it would be the AirPods Pro. If I had to get rid of every single pair of headphones I own and could only keep one pair, it would be the AirPods Pro. That’s how good these things are. The sound quality may not be fantastic, but it’s absolutely good enough to pass the threshold of listenability, even for audiophiles. So you combine that “pretty good” sound with the literally life-changing convenience of the AirPods Pro and you have a real winner. There’s a reason these sell so insanely well. They’re worth it.

7. Audio Technica ATH-M50: Like the AirPods Max, these are both overrated and underrated. On one hand, they got hyped several years ago by prominent YouTubers like MKBHD as being true gems of audio quality, but then on the other hand, some people in the audiophile community are faaar too harsh on them. These sound good. Not great, but good. Well, I should say that they do sound great by consumer audio standards. But in the audiophile world. they’re still pretty decent. The soundstage is narrow, there’s a lot of bass, and it can be muddy, but they’re still fun to listen to, decently detailed headphones. They’re also decent for comfort (albeit not fantastic) and they’re extremely rugged, which made them my go-to headphone for public transportation during winter months in the pre-noise cancellation days, as they’re relatively isolating and they double as earmuffs. One nick on them is despite their ruggedness, the headband has begun flaking on my lately, with small pieces of black fake leather coming off.

8. Apple Powerbeats Pro: Don’t let the Beats name fool you; these sound good. Beats has come a long way since the Apple acquisition. And while these are still bass-heavy headphones, the bass no longer drowns out the rest of the frequency response. These are solid performers and possibly some of the best workout headphones in existence. These are my go-tos whenever I work out. Surprisingly, I think these may be a tad more detailed than the AirPods Pro and in some ways I prefer them over the APP. They’re better workout headphones not just because they stay in your ears for even the most rigorous workouts, but also because I find the accentuated bass is nice for when you’re working out. For day-to-day non-workout use, they’re still pretty good, but I’d take the AirPods Pro over them due to the convenience factor (ie. the case is much smaller), the noise cancellation, and the flatter frequency response.

9. Audio Technica ATH-A900: I feel bad about putting these so low on the list because they’re Top 3 in terms of technical proficiency, but I’m just not a big fan of their sound signature. They’re detailed, have good bass, and a surprisingly wide sound stage for a closed back. They’re also very comfortable. And yet I find the lack of mids, the echoey resonant sound, and just the general sound signature to be a little disappointing. They’re neither exciting like a Grado nor smooth like the 6XX. They’re laid back, but not in a relaxing, enjoyable way. They’re just a little boring to me. It’s funny because in terms of technicals, these beat the pants off the KPH30i. And yet I have the KPH30i four full spots higher on this list because I just enjoy their sound more. Don’t get me wrong, the A900 are a good headphone. And they were my go-to high end headphone for many years (from when I first put my SR60 in the drawer many years ago until I really got back into audio last year), but I just don’t find their sound signature to be all that enjoyable compared to some of the other items on this list.

10. Koss KSC75: Even though these are low on the list, I still absolutely love them. These were the best deal in the headphone world prior to the release of Koss’s own KPH30i a few years ago. They’re similar technically to the KPH30i, but they’re more focused on the highs, lacking in the lows, and just don’t have that same sense of balance. I also don’t like the form factor as much as I do with the KPH30i, as the KSC75 has those unusual ear hooks that sometimes pop off the headphone, and they’re also quite fragile. I’ve had several pairs die on me over the years, although Koss does have that great lifetime warranty. For under 20 bucks, these are still an absolute steal.

11. Koss PortaPro: These have the same relation to the Koss KPH30i as the KSC75s do, but in the opposite direction. They have similar technical proficiency, but they’re too bassy and bloated. Taken in isolation, these are great sounding inexpensive headphones. But compared to the rest of this list, these are the weakest ones, in my opinion. In some ways, the sound reminds me of a worse SR60. The sound signature is similar in a lot of ways, but they’re less detailed, have more bloated bass, and aren’t as smooth. But they’re similarly warm and give me the same kind of vibe, albeit much worse. They’re also not particularly comfortable, as the earpads are small, the adjustment mechanism is weird, and the metal band snags your hair. Don’t get me wrong, for $35 USD, these are great headphones. But something has to go at the bottom of this list and in my opinion, the PortaPros easily nab that spot.

That’s my ranking. I was thinking of adding Tone/Technical letter grades to each, Crinacle style, but maybe I’ll save that for the next time I update my ranking. Hopefully that won’t be any time soon, as I’ve spent way too much on headphones lately, especially with the 6XX, Hemp, and APM all purchased in the last 4 months! Time to take a bit of a break on my purchases. The plan now is to stick with and enjoy my current collection, and then in the next year or two, I’ll save up and go big with something from Focal or Abyss.

Rather than just update this previous post with the new headphones I’ve purchased since then, I decided to throw together a spreadsheet with my new rankings:

B29FF4B8-2CBF-4DF4-9F26-CDC32D91DD0F.jpeg

That would be my overall product rankings. If we’re just talking about sound, sum up just the Technical and Tuning columns. In that case, my top 3 are:

1. Grado Hemp
2. Senn 6XX
3. Focal Elegia

All three are very close and could potentially swap rankings. But I think those are the clear Top 3 for me, with the next in line being the K702 and then the APP2 and APM, followed by the Koss KPH30i (what a steal) and the Denon AH-D750 (an underrated classic).

(Note: I should also mention that these are relative scores. For example, just because something is a 10 doesn’t mean I think it’s perfect. I don’t yet have experience with the kilobuck class, so my grading scale is in relation to what I’ve heard.)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #7,844 of 8,138
Just of what I currently have on hand (as some in my sig are on order)

1. ZMF Caldera (by quite a bit over everything else)
2. ZMF Verite Open
3. ZMF Atrium
4. ZMF Verite Closed
5. Audeze LCD-3
6. ZMF Auteur OG
7. Stax SR-009
8. ZMF Atticus
9. ZMF Eikon
10. HiFiMan Arya v2
10. Sennheiser HD820
11. Stax SR-L300
12. Sennheiser HD700
13. Sennheiser HD 58X
What do you like about the ZMF Caldera over the LCD-3? I've been wondering if I should upgrade the LCD-3, but not side-grade, while staying in the same ballpark of the sound I like with the LCD-3 (which is why I didn't want to upgrade to the LCD-4 and LCD-5).

What's similar/different/upgrade/downgrade going from the LCD-3 to the Caldera?

And to let you know about my chain, I have Audirvana/Tidal from the computer going to an Chord Hugo TT2 to Cayin HA-300 mkI (Western Electric 300b + Sylvania 6SN7W metal base tubes) to Audeze LCD-3.

Jan 10, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #7,845 of 8,138
What do you like about the ZMF Caldera over the LCD-3? I've been wondering if I should upgrade the LCD-3, but not side-grade, while staying in the same ballpark of the sound I like with the LCD-3 (which is why I didn't want to upgrade to the LCD-4 and LCD-5).

What's similar/different/upgrade/downgrade going from the LCD-3 to the Caldera?

And to let you know about my chain, I have Audirvana/Tidal from the computer going to an Chord Hugo TT2 to Cayin HA-300 mkI (Western Electric 300b + Sylvania 6SN7W metal base tubes) to Audeze LCD-3.
The LCD-3 for me is similar to the ZMF house sound so I liked them immediately. The Caldera wins on details, soundstage width and depth, better layering, and more detailed bass though the LCD-3 has more bass quantity. As would be expected with the price difference and being a decade newer, the Caldera is just on another level. Since yours is one of the amps ZMF sells I think you’d be good. My favorite pairing has been with the Envy, another 300b amp. The Caldera is also much more comfortable even with my having the lighter carbon fiber headband on the LCD-3. The Caldera is more airy and has a bit of e-stat like etherealness at times but it’s not overall an airy headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back