Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #7,817 of 8,131
I had similar problems with the Ananda, another egg-shaped hifiman.

Nice to see Sundara so high. Quality sound & great vfm.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #7,820 of 8,131
Any specific reason for preferring Clear over Stellia?
Yeah it's an interesting one, Stellia are more detailed and 'special sounding', they have a wow factor. But I think the open back advantage the Clear has gives it a very nice tonal balance, among other advantages, which I think outweight the added detail and better timbre of the Stellia, along with those Stellia transients. Clear just sounds transparent and seems to step aside. It's a graceful headphone.

Stellia is insanely impressive for a closed back though. When you take the Clear driver and close it off in the Elegia Stellia absolutely pulls away. Has me wondering about Utopia...I think that driver does magic.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #7,822 of 8,131
Sendy Peacock
Neumann NDH20
DCA Aeon 2 Closed
Kennerton Vali
Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen
Grado RS1
Grado SR80x

Out of these, the Peacock basically fulfills all my serious audiophile desires, and the NDH20 fulfills all my portable and closed isolation needs. The Peacock, if I use my Hugo 2's high frequency roll off filter, plus the crossfeed (which also increases bass slightly) and my DCA Vivo cable (which further smooths the treble), this is the most versatile, well-rounded, flawless sound I've ever heard. The NDH20 has 10/10 passive isolation, and just nails everything that's it's trying be as neutral midrange closed back. I love this as a portable option when I use it with a smooth amp that can increase bass, such as the ifi goBar.

These other headphones have obvious weaknesses: Aeon 2C has unsatisfying bass, Vali is a bit too harsh and bright, T13 has fatiguing bass and weirdly emphasizes upper treble, and Rs1e I think would need a tube amp to sound it's best, and I'm totally not a tubes/analogue guy. SR80x is shockingly different from the old i version I used to have, and NOT in good way.

If I was rich, I would immediately go buy a Hifiman R10p and a DCS Bartok. What I like as an audiophile is "analogue flavor without the hassle" but I also demand built in crossfeed, because I find it works wonders on my Chord and iFi devices.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #7,823 of 8,131
I like bass… and EQ. My top 3 right now are as follows:

1) Fostex TH900Mk2
2) Sony MDR-Z1R
3) Audeze LCD-X (‘21)

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #7,825 of 8,131
Of the full sized ones I've owned:

Susvara
Atrium
Verite Closed
HD800S
HD660s

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #7,828 of 8,131
Lists like that have been known to cause fights. Can't wait.

Edition XS so low? I don't own them, but interesting.

He's entitled to rate it there. I liked the XS, great H/P but it wasn't my favorite Hifiman either and I preferred my HE-500 quite a bit for my Hifiman so I sold it.

It lacks some authority/grunt in the sound. Compared to the HE-500, it just wasn't as engaging and strong, more of a spacious and lighter presentation which isn't where my listening preferences lie. Still a great, neutral headphone IMO, (it has nicely defined bass too) it's just not the best choice if you like a stronger presentation. It's great if you like a large soundstage with great detail and planar speed. It resolves quite well but can be a bit - just somewhat reserved at times, I guess.

It's also easier to drive than the 500.

I personally think it should be moved higher on his list according to my impressions but it's his list - not mine.

A lot of this hobby will come down to personal tastes and preference in tuning and what type of music you prefer to listen to.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #7,829 of 8,131
He's entitled to rate it there. I liked the XS, great H/P but it wasn't my favorite Hifiman either and I preferred my HE-500 quite a bit for my Hifiman so I sold it.

It lacks some authority/grunt in the sound. Compared to the HE-500, it just wasn't as engaging and strong, more of a spacious and lighter presentation which isn't where my listening preferences lie. Still a great, neutral headphone IMO, (it has nicely defined bass too) it's just not the best choice if you like a stronger presentation. It's great if you like a large soundstage with great detail and planar speed. It resolves quite well but can be a bit - just somewhat reserved at times, I guess.

It's also easier to drive than the 500.

I personally think it should be moved higher on his list according to my impressions but it's his list - not mine.

A lot of this hobby will come down to personal tastes and preference in tuning and what type of music you prefer to listen to.
The OP did reply that it was more a matter of comfort / fit for him, something I concurred with, having tried other egg-shaped hifiman headphones.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #7,830 of 8,131
Full size:
Grado RS2e
Denon d7200
Sennheiser HD600
Have to say as great a these are, none really beat my speakers: fairly humble but utterly brilliant Q Acoustics Concept 20 s.

The headphones may be as good in tonality (HD600), acoustic realism (RS2e), and better in detail (all, slightly), intimicy (all) and bass quantity and maybe quality (esp Denon) .

However it is mainly circumstances for many years that dictate headphone use for me.

The speakers cost less than the Grado and with the dedicated stands, similar to the Denon but I'm pretty sure would beat almost any headphone, for me at least. Very different characteristics, mind 🙃

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back