Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Nov 2, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #7,786 of 8,132
Gotcha. You have some very nice gear! It's really hard to pick between the two for me personally. The Atrium is definitely technically superior but there is something about the Aeolus that is just so addicting especially with rock or metal. If you prefer a more intimate (but still wider than the 6XX) soundstage, the Aeolus fits the bill. If you prefer a larger and more immersive soundstage than the Atrium is the way to go. Both are awesome and its hard to go wrong with either.
You don't make it easy my friend! LOL!

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #7,787 of 8,132
You don't make it easy my friend! LOL!
Lol! I hear you! It would really be hard for me to pick one over the other. The thing about ZMFs is each of them have their own unique sound going and they are not necessarily any better or worse than the others. They all have their own special qualities that makes all of them having in their own right. Different flavors for different moods if you will. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive recommendation one way or the other.

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #7,788 of 8,132
Man your hype for the Stellias make me want to pick up a pair. I'm very happy with the Bathys with just the right amount of compromises for me and putting together funds to pick up my first pair of ZMFs, but Stellias are calling me too.
Haha they're certainly worth a demo. The Stellia just have this wow factor that is undeniable, so do the Verite Closed to be fair. Ultimately my choice was between the VC and Stellia. Not an easy choice it has to be said

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #7,789 of 8,132
Gotcha. You have some very nice gear! It's really hard to pick between the two for me personally. The Atrium is definitely technically superior but there is something about the Aeolus that is just so addicting especially with rock or metal. If you prefer a more intimate (but still wider than the 6XX) soundstage, the Aeolus fits the bill. If you prefer a larger and more immersive soundstage than the Atrium is the way to go. Both are awesome and its hard to go wrong with either.
I'm a rock fan who digs the HD 6XX. So, this advice to steer me toward the Aeolus is mint. Thank you!

Nov 2, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #7,790 of 8,132
I'm a rock fan who digs the HD 6XX. So, this advice to steer me toward the Aeolus is mint. Thank you!
You are most welcome! I think you'll really enjoy it! Btw since you like the 6XX (I do as well) make sure you try the OG Aeolus pads with the Aeolus. It gives it a mid-bass emphasis very similar to the 6XX.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #7,791 of 8,132
Man your hype for the Stellias make me want to pick up a pair. I'm very happy with the Bathys with just the right amount of compromises for me and putting together funds to pick up my first pair of ZMFs, but Stellias are calling me too.
I feel the Focal closed ones are really good for work. Wearing a ZMF in the office may attract a lot of attention :)
I love the VC and never tried Stellia. Wearing the Elegia at work (which I should go back to!).

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #7,792 of 8,132
Are u referring to the "original" RS1's?
Any thoughts on the subsequent versions? -
the RS1i, RS1e, the current RS1x?

Cheers,
That post was from 17 years ago - most necro that I've seen :D

Anyhow, no - once I heard that coloration, I couldn't go back, and - wouldn't have tried more of the same knowing that I'd almost certainly hear it.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #7,793 of 8,132
I feel the Focal closed ones are really good for work. Wearing a ZMF in the office may attract a lot of attention :)
I love the VC and never tried Stellia. Wearing the Elegia at work (which I should go back to!).
The Aeolus is my all time favorite work headphone. If you don’t need isolation so others don’t hear the sound (I have an office) they are the perfect mix of beautiful music that isn’t forward and demanding. I was able to appreciate what I was hearing yet still focus on my work.

I found the elex the opposite. I like the elex and clear very much, but found myself distracted by what I was hearing. Great for home for me, not great for work. YMMV of course!

Nov 19, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #7,795 of 8,132
My ideas on this change often.
But I'll give it a go -

Grado RS1i

Grado PS500e

Beyerdynamic T1 version 2

Here, I kind of stumble around a bit :thermometer_face:

Next, I guess, is the AKG K721
Followed very closely by the Senn HD 650.

The Grado Ltd Ed. Heritage Series GH4 slots in next.
Has that great "live" sound as do so many Grado's,
and also has a larger soundstage than most; it's
also more dimensional front to back than most.

Only a slight gap before the next set, which is/are
the Beyerdynamic DT800.

I've liked them very much from when I first got
into headphone listening about 15 yrs ago or so.

That their price has continued to decrease while
the quality has held up, I think, is really remarkable.
To be able to buy them for +/- 200. I feel is one of
the great headphone bargains today. Designed and
built in Germany in a long-time family owned business.

I also happen to like the Sony MDR-M1ST closed back -
really fine sound a touch on the warm side. Super comfortable,
very light and beautifully made by Sony (in Japan).

Also have - and won't rate - the famous (or infamous)
ATH M50X. I mean I think they're OK sounding and
nicely made. But my ears get too hot too quickly
when I put them on, so for me they're a no go.
Got to figure out what to do with them.

Same more or less with the Senn 25 monitors,
whatever their name is. Surprisingly good sound
IMO, but the soundstage just isn't there and they
clamp a little too tightly.

Lastly, for now, Sony MDRZ7M2. Just have never
sounded right to me. Bought and listened to a few
different cables (including the originally available
Kimber). Now they sit on the end table where they've
been sitting for quite some time.

So. those are my main or daily headphones, rated.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #7,796 of 8,132
In no particular order, my current (end of 2022) favorite open/closed HPs.

Open
Sennheiser: HD600
Neumann: NDH-30
Audeze: MM-500

Closed
Denon: AH-D9200
Tago: T3-01
DCA: Aeon Noire

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #7,798 of 8,132
Are you from Northumberland?

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #7,799 of 8,132
I haven’t been an IEM guy particularly, but I’ve got to say that my new favorite is my Etymotic ER4SR. I’ve had them for a couple months now so the honeymoon period is over, but I still prefer them slightly over my now 2nd choice pick which is my Focal Elear with Clear pads. They each do certain things differently, but if I need isolation, or if I want to hear all the little details I pick the ER4SR.

So my list with sound quality being the most important factor:
1. Etymotic ER4SR
2. Focal Elear with Clear pads
3. HiFi-Man RE-Zero
4. AirPods Max
5. AirPods Pro (Gen 1)

The AirPods Pro is what will get used out of the house, they rest get used only inside while sitting on the couch. I find it interesting that my 2nd cheapest is my most preferred. The ER4SR kind of make the AirPods Max unnecessary to own now since they actually block out more sound as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back