Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Oct 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #7,756 of 8,131
Thanks a million for the quick reply and great insight. I really love my Atticus, and its warm and addictive sound... at times I wish for something a bit more detailed and brighter in the highs, which the Eikon sounds like. I have been looking at an LCD-XC as well...but that ZMF sound and experience is so hard to forego :) I aspire to the VC or Atrium (open I know), but those are a bit too much of stretch at present.

Enjoy the collection - something I am sure that you do at length! Cheers.
No problem at all. It sounds like the Eikon fits the bill for what you are looking for. You are very much correct in that I enjoy my collection and particularly the ZMFs immensely. It took a while but it as worth it. Happy listening!

Oct 29, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #7,757 of 8,131
1. Utopia 2022
2. D8000pro
3. HD800s, ADX5000
4. HD600

The no.1 used to be D8000pro, but the utopia really takes the cake, it sounds rich, tasty, airy and full of details.

20221027_041254.jpg

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #7,758 of 8,131
1. HD580
1. HD600
1. HD650
4. RS-1e (still working on getting these just exactly perfect, but I sense potential here, and I freely admit that I’m a sucker for the mahogany and leather construction)

But for the Grados, which are relatively new to me, I could have written this same list many, many years ago. Like @BobG55, LOTS of other headphones have come and gone in the past several years (I actively practice catch and release), many with big reputations (and even bigger price tags), and a few more than once, but these have stayed. Indeed, my 580’s date back to the previous millennium, and a few pad changes later, they are still in regular use, near-permanently plugged into the HA160DS on the desk in my home office.

YMMV, just my $,03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #7,759 of 8,131
1. Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro - the newest but a fast climber, I love the sound! (8k down a few dB)
2. Sennheiser HD600 - my goto can all these years. Neutral and correct is the words.
3. Sony MDR-Z7M2 - sounds in many ways similar to DT1990, micro/macro-dynamics is it's forte. Recessed mids. Smaller soundstage.
4. Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X - sounds good without tweaking. Universal audio tool.
5. Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm - the word is fun, not entirely correct sounding but a wild ride. Large soundstage.
6. Sony MDR-1AM2 - near high end qualities in a portable format, very clean, recessed mids and small soundstage is the cons

Honorable mentions:
Shure SRH840a -very likeable clean sound and comfortable, easy to drive
AKG K612 - enormous soundstage, deep bass, but needs lots of tweaking of the curve and a hefty amp
ATH-M50X - a good tool, good isolation and can play insane loud, but not exactly for sitting down enjoying music

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #7,760 of 8,131
1. KSC75X - Bright and "airy" headphone that does not sound wrong at all. Detail is one of the downfalls, though. Great at low to moderate listening levels.
2. HD-6XX - Decent bass and of course: natural sound. However, clamp/comfort and also the "veil" hinders my view on it.
3. HE-5XX - A little more spacious than the rest, but sounds slightly artificial. Pretty hollow sound.
4. KPH40 - Recessed mids to my ears and also sub-par detail. A decent "fun" set.
5. WH-1000XM3 - Decent staging (for a closed-back) but the details aren't there.
6. SHP9600 - It is recessed, veiled, and has oversaturated bass.

I am fairly new and this is my perception on how each one appeals to me. Only a few headphones in mid-fi and high-fi interests me right now.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #7,761 of 8,131
1. ZMF Verite - For me perfect allrounder for all genres, wonderful timbre.
2. Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2 - Always loved Beyerdynamic, this is less bright and more enjoyable than most their models.
3. Sash Tres - Very good value planar
4. Hifiman HE-R9 - Just pure fun, like having a sub monitor on your head while retaining good and clear sound.
5. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 - With pad swap, its very enjoyable and a good old classic.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #7,762 of 8,131
Thanks a million for the quick reply and great insight. I really love my Atticus, and its warm and addictive sound... at times I wish for something a bit more detailed and brighter in the highs
Believe it or not, the Audio Technica SR-50 (wired, not BT) for $129 with $20 Meze ear pads (standard, not small), both on Amazon, both with free returns. You can buy, try, and return if you don't like. If you like great sub bass with solid mid bass that's not overdone, 3D sound (for a closed back) and light weight with subdued high mid and extra air on top, these have that. It almost feels like cheating to be able to just swap pads on them to get them so the ATH-M50X sounds awful in comparison, and easily beating Meze 99.

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #7,763 of 8,131
BeyerDynamic DT880 w/ Cardas Upgrade = Clean, Clear & Open
Koss KSC35 = ridiculous value for the money
Sennhieser HD565 = more congested than the top of the line Senns, but still have the Senn flavour...
Grado RS1 = The shock of the pack, now i've heard the coloration, I just can't get it out of my mind...
Are u referring to the "original" RS1's?
Any thoughts on the subsequent versions? -
the RS1i, RS1e, the current RS1x?

Cheers,

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #7,765 of 8,131
1. Lcd-X 2021, my new toy. Surprisingly adept at most musical genres. Detail + bass. Extremely comfortable. Easy to listen to at lower volumes due to dynamics.
2. Grado sr325e, for when you absolutely need to hear that trumpet scream, except no substitute.
3. Sennheiser HD660s, no alarms & no surprises, in a good way. Sound great plugged into my 30 year old speaker amp.
4. Sundara, my gateway drug to "audiophile" headphones. Still a constant delight.
5. Timeless 7hz, sound amazing, but as with every iem / tip I have ever used, cause inner ear itch after 45mins, so limits use.
5. ER2XR, again sound so clean, but there is that comfort issue.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #7,766 of 8,131
Susvara
ADX5000
HE6SE
HD650
Ananda
Arya gen 1
HD600/R70x
K712 pro

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #7,767 of 8,131
Susvara
ADX5000
HE6SE
HD650
Ananda
Arya gen 1
HD600/R70x
K712 pro
Nice to see the ADX5000’s ranked so high. They are really underrated headphones.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #7,768 of 8,131
1. Dan Clark Audio Stealth (least amount of audio compromises with best timbre and ultimate resolution coupled with incredible imaging despite being closed back)
2. Warwick Acoustics Bravura (incredible resolution, with outstanding bass, mids, and treble. Excellent sound localization though at times not too coherent)
3. Dan Clark Audio Expanse (Tastefully balanced headphone, that is quite musical, and a tad more impactful at times than Stealth)
4. Hifiman Susvara (Most natural, with tasteful bass slam and overall musicality is high. A tad recessed for me and losing out in ultimate detail vs above for me)
5. Sennheiser HD6XX (Mid bass masks details, has decent vocals and relaxed treble, still a good standard to have around as it's rather "musical")

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #7,769 of 8,131
1. Dan Clark Audio Stealth (least amount of audio compromises with best timbre and ultimate resolution coupled with incredible imaging despite being closed back)
2. Warwick Acoustics Bravura (incredible resolution, with outstanding bass, mids, and treble. Excellent sound localization though at times not too coherent)
3. Dan Clark Audio Expanse (Tastefully balanced headphone, that is quite musical, and a tad more impactful at times than Stealth)
4. Hifiman Susvara (Most natural, with tasteful bass slam and overall musicality is high. A tad recessed for me and losing out in ultimate detail vs above for me)
5. Sennheiser HD6XX (Mid bass masks details, has decent vocals and relaxed treble, still a good standard to have around as it's rather "musical")
Interesting to note that the DC duo has the Susvara beat in ultimate detail. For me the Susvara had been the ultimate HP for me when it came to effortlessly bringing out all the detail in the recording. Now I really want to try out these DC twins.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #7,770 of 8,131
Interesting to note that the DC duo has the Susvara beat in ultimate detail. For me the Susvara had been the ultimate HP for me when it came to effortlessly bringing out all the detail in the recording. Now I really want to try out these DC twins.
They are rather slightly different sounding headphones to the Susvara and are actually less bright. As a result some refer to them as dull sounding, where as I think they're just realistic. On the subject of detail or resolution I've spoken at length on how detail should also capture what I shouldn't hear. Some folks perceive the brighter sounding Susvara as more detailed. However, for me, though its not as energetic in the treble, I personally hear more information with the Stealth in particular. Additionally, I also don't hear information that shouldn't be there with the Stealth. Expanse has slight bump to mid-bass that is more noticeable and though it adds more weight and is perhaps more "experientially accurate" Stealth is still my reference. Mid-range in both DCA headphones is more intimate and forward though not overly so than the Susvara. The Susvara has greater bass heft or slam than both though. You can optimize a system for any of the 3 mentioned in this post for detail.
Definitely share your thoughts if you get a chance to hear them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back