Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jun 13, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #6,647 of 8,134
I think 3 is overpriced as it doesn't sound all that resolving. Pretty much the same resolution of LCD2 wtih a different tuning, so it's not that impressive.

Audeze tend to be recessed in the upper-mids. 2C has the most recess. Is the E2 a bit recessed in the upper-mids?

To me it sounds natural, especially with the stock pads.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #6,648 of 8,134
I think 3 is overpriced as it doesn't sound all that resolving. Pretty much the same resolution of LCD2 wtih a different tuning, so it's not that impressive.

I agree, but like to have something nice to say after whacking the 2C. I like the MrSpeakers Ether Closed more then the LCD-3.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #6,649 of 8,134
I agree, but like to have something nice to say after whacking the 2C. I like the MrSpeakers Ether Closed more then the LCD-3.
I preferred the LCD-3 more due to the timbre, the warmth to it. Ether flow closed doesn't seem to have hardly any wetness or any decay to the sound. No warmth to the sound. I notice this with MrSpeaker's closed versions. His open versions (not really open sounding) headphones are warm though.

LCD-3 is definately preferrable over the 2C. It is warmer with more upper-mids presence. It's as if 2C's upper-mids was purposely gimped so that the more expensive models sounds more balanced.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #6,650 of 8,134
LCD-3 is definately preferrable over the 2C. It is warmer with more upper-mids presence. It's as if 2C's upper-mids was purposely gimped so that the more expensive models sounds more balanced.

Everyone has their opinion. There was some post somewhere where a member claimed planars don't do well with OTL tube amps...but I love both MrSpeakers and Audeze on my OTL Single Power amp (with NOS Tung Sols they seem to have great extension and quite a bit of presence in the upper mids...including my LCD-2 CB). I find MrSpeakers to be a good compliment to Audeze. I don't find the Audeze CB or fazors to be overly warm. They do have a slight recess in the upper mids (CB more so)...they have good extension in the upper treble so that cymbals are really crisp and lifelike: I just find that the slight recession just means the imaging seems you're sitting just a bit further back and it's more like speakers. The main "house sound" that I've noticed a clear V sound are Beyers. Audeze seems to be my go to every genre and MrSpeakers is good for close acoustic music. I find this isn't just per one genre: some people say one headphone is better then another for classical music- but a symphony is a much different environment than a small chamber music. I do like the overall balance with the LCD-2fs for my everyday all in ones, and there's even some slight differences with mid range of headphones with my iCan in balanced vs SE output. I am content, but then I read reviews of Audeze's higher end models. I've seen there's B-stock LCD-MX4s around, and they were Steve Gutenberg's audiophile headphone of the year. But I've already spent enough this year on audio (as well as 4K and Atmos home theater) gear...I should put the breaks on and might splurge on the MX4s or alternate at a much future date: though I've found this audio gear is even more of an incremental upgrade as higher end photography gear.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #6,651 of 8,134
HD800 >> HD650 >> Bose
The jump from HD650 to HD800 is huge (with an R2R dac, if that's relevant). I didn't know there was so much room for improvement in graininess and harshness in HD650. Vocal also sounds a lot more real/focused. A must try.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #6,652 of 8,134
What is the difference between the Ori and Blackwood ? Thanks
I own and use both equally. The Ori is a bit more rounder on the edges / smoother, and wider sounding, but also has better extension at both ends. The Blackwood, has tighter imaging and snappier transients, with a taller soundstage. I always get the since of being in a concert hall, when I using the Blackwood. The mids on the Ori, are a bit further back / warmer, than the Blackwood. They both hit really hard in the lower bass, with the Ori hitting harder in the mid bass, and bass overall. I would say overall the Ori is more musical and fun, and the Blackwood is more neutral, however both a warm headphones, in general. When driven properly, they both compliment each other very well, and hang with the best. I use my Ori with my Liquid Platinum, and my Blackwood with my Lyr 3, and I have them both dialed in to perfection. I like to listen to acoustic stuff, with the Blackwood, and EDM/Rock, with my Ori. By the way, I don't usually say this, but the youtube reviewer Zeos, actually does a great job, explaining the differences between these 2 headphones. Hope that helps, and feel free to ask me anything else.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #6,653 of 8,134
Beyerdynamic Xelento (IEM) > Sony MDR-7520 (over-ear) > JH Audio JH13FP (CIEM) > Sennheiser IE 40 Pro (IEM)

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #6,654 of 8,134
nothing to write home about but:
Hifiman he-4xx: i like the dynamics feels alive but less detailed then the second one, and also not the best QC. one of the screws came loose and and left driver sometimes has a distortion like something inside is loose....
Sennheiser HD-6xx: great headphones no paticular prabloms just less dynamic than the first one.
Tin T3: the best iem i currently own.
mee pinacle p2: pretty close to the tin T3 but sounds more boomy not in a good way

ATH M-50x brainwavz sheepskin pads: i liked it when i started with the hobby but today i see why people think it is overrated it defentliy sounds metalic not musical and in your face no soundstage at all and i dont use it at all any more.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #6,655 of 8,134
Everyone has their opinion. There was some post somewhere where a member claimed planars don't do well with OTL tube amps...but I love both MrSpeakers and Audeze on my OTL Single Power amp (with NOS Tung Sols they seem to have great extension and quite a bit of presence in the upper mids...including my LCD-2 CB). I find MrSpeakers to be a good compliment to Audeze. I don't find the Audeze CB or fazors to be overly warm. They do have a slight recess in the upper mids (CB more so)...they have good extension in the upper treble so that cymbals are really crisp and lifelike: I just find that the slight recession just means the imaging seems you're sitting just a bit further back and it's more like speakers. The main "house sound" that I've noticed a clear V sound are Beyers. Audeze seems to be my go to every genre and MrSpeakers is good for close acoustic music. I find this isn't just per one genre: some people say one headphone is better then another for classical music- but a symphony is a much different environment than a small chamber music. I do like the overall balance with the LCD-2fs for my everyday all in ones, and there's even some slight differences with mid range of headphones with my iCan in balanced vs SE output. I am content, but then I read reviews of Audeze's higher end models. I've seen there's B-stock LCD-MX4s around, and they were Steve Gutenberg's audiophile headphone of the year. But I've already spent enough this year on audio (as well as 4K and Atmos home theater) gear...I should put the breaks on and might splurge on the MX4s or alternate at a much future date: though I've found this audio gear is even more of an incremental upgrade as higher end photography gear.
I thought the CB was alright, one of the better ones, particularly for closed-backs.

I think the OTL people were referring to ones with high output impedance. I've heard of low output impedance OTL like the EC ZDS. If the output impedance is like BH crack's, 120 ohms, and since planars are lowish impedance typically, they will not get enough power to be driven properly that's all. If OTL can deliver sufficient power, that's all that matters.

I don't find upper-mids recession causing bigger sound stage, there are other physical aspects involved in the tuning to cause the larger soundstage. Upper-mids recession is just terrible tuning, that is all. Everything is in the mids.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #6,656 of 8,134
I thought the CB was alright, one of the better ones, particularly for closed-backs.

I think the OTL people were referring to ones with high output impedance. I've heard of low output impedance OTL like the EC ZDS. If the output impedance is like BH crack's, 120 ohms, and since planars are lowish impedance typically, they will not get enough power to be driven properly that's all. If OTL can deliver sufficient, that's all that matters.

I don't find upper-mids recession causing bigger sound stage. Upper-mids recession is just terri mble tuning, that is all. Everything is in the mids.
Well said!

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #6,657 of 8,134

I think the OTL people were referring to ones with high output impedance. I've heard of low output impedance OTL like the EC ZDS. If the output impedance is like BH crack's, 120 ohms, and since planars are lowish impedance typically, they will not get enough power to be driven properly that's all. If OTL can deliver sufficient power, that's all that matters.

I don't find upper-mids recession causing bigger sound stage, there are other physical aspects involved in the tuning to cause the larger soundstage. Upper-mids recession is just terrible tuning, that is all. Everything is in the mids.

My SP amp seems to have plenty of power running any SE headphone: it also has a texture knob that adjusts gain.

When I say Audeze has a slight upper-mids recession: I mean that's relative to some other headphones. They are not devoid of upper-mids. I don't view it as bad tuning since it gives an impression of overall response being more extended. Would you view bright headphones or headphones that have a clear V shape as all bad tuning? I think that overall tonality of a headphone brand can also be more variable with person: with age, our hearing changes and headphones are a lot more dependant on the shape of one's outer ear.

Note that I also didn't bring up soundstage (which I view as having a wider presentation around the head). The difference between my Audezes are that the details are not as pronounced as MrSpeakers...so it's as if I'm listening to an instrument as an audience member vs my MrSpeakers presentation being more like another music member.

Lastly, not everything is in the mids. Common percussion instruments start at 60HZ :smile_phones: I also brought up environment of music (not just generic genre). With symphonies being in auditoriums, for example, there's a decline of upper frequencies.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #6,658 of 8,134
If the output impedance is like BH crack's, 120 ohms, and since planars are lowish impedance typically, they will not get enough power to be driven properly that's all. If OTL can deliver sufficient power, that's all that matters.
The big problem with a high impedance amp and low impedance headphones is that the damping factor goes to hell, thus the sound gets loosey-goosey.

"Amplifier damping factor (DF)is defined as “the ratio of the load impedance (loudspeaker plus wire resistance) to the amplifier internal output impedance.” This basically indicates the amplifier's ability to control overshoot of the loudspeaker, i.e., to stop the cone from moving."

Jun 14, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #6,659 of 8,134
The big problem with a high impedance amp and low impedance headphones is that the damping factor goes to hell, thus the sound gets loosey-goosey.

"Amplifier damping factor (DF)is defined as “the ratio of the load impedance (loudspeaker plus wire resistance) to the amplifier internal output impedance.” This basically indicates the amplifier's ability to control overshoot of the loudspeaker, i.e., to stop the cone from moving."
True, but it doesn't completely tell you about whether the sound quality is not desireable always.

Like for example, you can have 120ohm OTL, Bottlehead Crack, that brings out of the best of 300ohm, Sennheisers sound wise. The damping factor in this case is quite low. How do you explain this?

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #6,660 of 8,134
The ragnarok in balanced has got lots of damping and it damps the HD-600 bass right down to the usual refrain - very quick, overly damped, no growl in the bass;

All I know is with your Bottlehead Crack (SE), at 40 Hz and 60 Hz (test CD's) there were a lot more output then the Rag - in balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back