Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 19, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #6,616 of 8,131
My updated list of what I currently have on hand.
Meze 99 Classics with original pads
Audioquest Nightowl
Sennheiser 58X
Beoplay H6
Can't afford the big guns. I'd like to ask, does anyone have the e-mu teaks in their top 5? Been eyeballing them for a bit.

May 20, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #6,618 of 8,131
HD 800- Use the most, gaming and music
ZMF Omni- Just music but such a fun listen.
Aeon Closed- Don't use alot, should probably sell but still really nice.
HD 700 - Most comfortable and amazing for gaming.
X2- Also more for gaming.
Nighthawk Carbon- Really like just don't pick up much any more, should think of selling.
HD 650- Very old, still use few times a year.

May 20, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #6,619 of 8,131
1. Hifiman Sundara
2. Philips Fidelio X2
3. Kennerton Vali
4. Beyerdynamic Amiron Home

May 20, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #6,620 of 8,131
2. Beyerdynamic Amiron = HIFIMAN Sundara = Verum One = LCD-2C

I was actually more interested in this tier and more specifically where the Verum One falls/compares to its competitors here. I have the most experience with the Sundara so that would help me understand the comparison but on the other hand am considering the Audeze planar sound whether that's an LCD2 or LCDX.

A lot of people are asking about that

I personally use Sundara more

Alara : larger headband, won't fit small heads. Less tight fit. Thicker sound, more full sound, fuller and more lush voices, great with classical and with being forward in the midrange. smooth treble, thick and enhanced bass

Sundara: More comfortable for most heads, albeit it sits tighter on the head. Lighter. Harder to drive. Thinner sounding. More splashy (a positive thing). Larger soundstage, more instrument separation. Harder to drive. Brighter tonality. More tight and less enhanced bass, I prefer this because it also goes deeper despite being lower in amount.

If both are fed from the same DAC/AMP, or DAP, both are outstanding. If you like a thick midrange, and a lush sound with smooth treble go Alara, if you like a thinner, more neutral sound, with more soundstage and with a more linear response, go Sundara.

You really can't go wrong with either, I have friends who immediately bought Alara after hearing my pair, but I also have friends who have Sundara, both are great headphones, just tuned differently.

Also, both are very reliable :)

I've heard decent things about the Alara but for whatever reason I haven't really considered them against my current inventory (yes inventory, I need to do some selling).

May 20, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #6,621 of 8,131
I was actually more interested in this tier and more specifically where the Verum One falls/compares to its competitors here. I have the most experience with the Sundara so that would help me understand the comparison but on the other hand am considering the Audeze planar sound whether that's an LCD2 or LCDX.

I've heard decent things about the Alara but for whatever reason I haven't really considered them against my current inventory (yes inventory, I need to do some selling).

Verum One may beat LCD-2C in its default state

Thicker than Sundara, deeper bass, similar resolution, similar voices, more details, more creamy bass, more impact.

Heavier and the aesthetics are questionable if you want to take them outside... :)

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #6,623 of 8,131
1. Sennheiser HE60
2. Hifiman Susvara (sold a couple weeks ago)
3. STAX SR-007 mk2.9 (bass port modded)
4. Sennheiser HD800
5. Hifiman HE1000 v1
6. Focal Utopia (sold a couple weeks ago)
7. Sennheiser HD600
8. Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000
9. Sennheiser HD650

I have a Verite and HE6 coming in the next couple weeks, hopefully they land near the top of the list.

Updating now that I've had some significant time with new headphones.
  1. Sennheiser HE60
  2. Sennheiser HD800 (No SDR, slightly EQ'd)
  3. ZMF Verite
  4. ZMF Aeolus
  5. Hifiman HE6
  6. STAX SR-007 mk2.9 (bass port modded)
  7. Sennheiser HD600/HD580
  9. Hifiman HE1000 v1
  10. Sennheiser HD650
  11. Neuman NDH20
  12. Shure SRH1540

Notes:
1. The HE60 is still king, nothing even comes close. It sounds nothing like any other estat, and makes the stax 007/009 sound extremely thin and compressed in comparison.

2. It had been a while since I did a lot of serious listening with the HD800, but I've gone back to it now and tweaked my EQ a bit. I forgot how amazing it is, especially on the right tubes.

3 & 4. The ZMFs are both great. Depending on the day, I'll enjoy one more than the other. That says a lot about the Aeolus which is about $1000 less expensive. The Aeolus works great on both solid state and tubes, but I tend to only like the Verite on solid state.

5. The HE6 is amazing for any electronic music. From a speaker amp the bass is unbelievably tight and dynamic.

6. The longer I've owned this the less happy I've been with it. Compared to others it has an artificial timbre. Probably going to sell it soon.

9. HEK is a huge disappointment. I don't really have many good things to say about it. Similar to the 007 I liked it less and less the more I listened to it. The bass has very little impact or slam, which makes no sense for such a high-end planar. The lower mid range has a significant amount of honk, and the upper mid range is too laid back for me. Lacks resolution and dynamics pretty much across the board. I'm selling this as soon as I can.

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #6,624 of 8,131
1. Noble K10UA (IEM)
2. Ultrasone 900 Pro
3. Sennheiser HD650

I really like the portability of the K10 (IEM), even around the house as it’s plugged right into my phone. Usually I’m not even around the house.

SQ wise the Ultrasone feels a little more open with a bit more separation and a little more “U” and yet I don’t find myself ‘needing’ to switch to full-size.

I’ve started to lean towards more “fun” sounds, so the very biased Ultrasone moves up compared to the ‘reference’ HD650. I have a place in my heart for the 650 .. nostalgia :D

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #6,625 of 8,131
  1. Sennheiser HE60
  3. ZMF Verite
  4. ZMF Aeolus
  5. Hifiman HE6
  9. Hifiman HE1000 v1
  10. Sennheiser HD650
  11. Neuman NDH20
  12. Shure SRH1540

Notes:
1. The HE60 is still king, nothing even comes close. It sounds nothing like any other estat, and makes the stax 007/009 sound extremely thin and compressed in comparison.

2. It had been a while since I did a lot of serious listening with the HD800, but I've gone back to it now and tweaked my EQ a bit. I forgot how amazing it is, especially on the right tubes.

3 & 4. The ZMFs are both great. Depending on the day, I'll enjoy one more than the other. That says a lot about the Aeolus which is about $1000 less expensive. The Aeolus works great on both solid state and tubes, but I tend to only like the Verite on solid state.

5. The HE6 is amazing for any electronic music. From a speaker amp the bass is unbelievably tight and dynamic.

6. The longer I've owned this the less happy I've been with it. Compared to others it has an artificial timbre. Probably going to sell it soon.

9. HEK is a huge disappointment. I don't really have many good things to say about it. Similar to the 007 I liked it less and less the more I listened to it. The bass has very little impact or slam, which makes no sense for such a high-end planar. The lower mid range has a significant amount of honk, and the upper mid range is too laid back for me. Lacks resolution and dynamics pretty much across the board. I'm selling this as soon as I can.
ZMF cans are special! Love my Aeolus, and nice to see another happy owner.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #6,626 of 8,131
Updated again with new addition.

1.Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC
2. Abyss Diana Phi (returned to upgrade to the ab1266.)
3.LCD 4Z (sold)
4. Noble Khan
5. Campfire Solaris
6. Focal Clear (with utopia pads)
7. LCD X
8. JH Roxanne (sold)
9. HD 6XX
10. Shure e5c

These are all great but the top honors go to my current 2 channel system.
Dynaudio confidence c1 platinums paired with a hegel h360 and metrum onyx.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #6,627 of 8,131
  1. Sennheiser HE60
  3. ZMF Verite
  4. ZMF Aeolus
  5. Hifiman HE6
  9. Hifiman HE1000 v1
  10. Sennheiser HD650
  11. Neuman NDH20
  12. Shure SRH1540

Notes:

Just out of curiosity, how do you compare the HD600s to the AD2000s? They've been on my watch list for a very long time, but I've never gotten to spend time with the ATs.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #6,628 of 8,131
  1. Sennheiser HE60
  3. ZMF Verite
  4. ZMF Aeolus
  5. Hifiman HE6
  9. Hifiman HE1000 v1
  10. Sennheiser HD650
  11. Neuman NDH20
  12. Shure SRH1540

Notes:

MrSpeakers VOCE might fit your taste as well.

Jun 9, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #6,630 of 8,131
Besides looking like a NASA controller, what do the AB1266’s add to the listening experience over the Phi? They use the same drivers (?), so it’s just better housing?

The ab1266 phi tc is a new driver. The diana phi uses the driver from the last iteration of the 1266. The diana phi gets about 85-90% of the performance of the tc. The soundstage is bigger with the 1266 tc and I delivers even more resolution and physicality to the bass. The 1266 tc also allows you to adjust the fit to a greater level. I really enjoy the diana phi and the 1266 tc is more of everything that the diana phi offers. The 1266 tc is the closest I have heard a headphone sounding to a speaker like sound.

I could be really happy with either. In the end I knew that I would want to upgrade to the TC so I decided to bring back the diana phi and get the 1266 tc. I have my other headphones and iems if I want to use them on the go with the sp1000. The 1266 is a desktop headphone for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back