Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 1, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #6,481 of 8,131
Raking based on enjoyment:
  1. Focal Utopia
  2. Focal Clear
  3. Massdrop x Focal Elex
  4. Sony MDR-Z1R
  5. Campfire Audio Cascade (with cloth ear pads)
  6. Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX (with V281 amp, otherwise after Sundara)
  7. Hifiman Sundara
  8. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm LE
  9. Takstar PRO82
  10. Sony MDR-V6
I like the bass of the MD HiFiMan 4xx but could use a bit more treble sparkle. Between your Senn 6xx and H Sundara, which do you think would be more likely to get me there? Or shouldn’t I bother with either and save up for the Elex? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #6,482 of 8,131
I no longer own headphones I dislike - the ones with bass-in-a-barrel or muddy mid sound. So I wouldn’t steer you away from any of these once taking into account the use-case and relative value.

1) OPPO PM-3 - Closed back planar with intimate soundstage. Billed as portable but the protein leather is not really suited to outdoor rigors or sweaty noggins. Sadly out of production. If I were rich I’d buy a back-up pair.
2) HiFiMan (MassDrop) HE 4XX - Open back favoring bass. Enough treble once one is dialed in but a bit low-key when one seeks sweet airy clarity
3) AKG Q701 - A highly competent open-back dynamic that has the sweetness and light that wind ensembles and strings crave with enough bass to satisfy although without the WHOMP impact of the first two.
4) 1More Triple Driver Lightning IEM - Even though the wire to the iPhone is an entangling relationship, I keep coming back to these over my Bluetooth options due to their sparkle, bass presence and lack of pads when walking in Florida heat. Excellent value.
5) AKG K275 - Closed back dynamic with something of a mid-if loudness curve built in that makes them a great choice for walkabout listening with Fiio muBTR and PI short mini-XLR to 3.5mm cable. Billed as a transportable studio monitor to musicians (with a 10=foot included coiled cable to match). I’d accept this marketing position at its sub-$175 price point, terrific value. But I think semi-pro or better EDM Mix artists might be disappointed with the modest sub-bass.
6) Grado RS1 - The Grado line has the most open of open-backs, and so a unique listening experience. However, my tastes have shifted to more pronounced bass impact, and Grado’s tight bass often cannot satisfy. Love looking at them more often than listening to them, nowadays. (At about 1/10 the cost, the Grado SR80 models will give you 95% of the listening experience but not the beauty on the headstand.)
7) KEF Reference Bluetooth IEM (leatherette solid neckband with controls) - These single driver dynamics are very competent at their price, good ergonomics. Walkabout companions when an unfussy experience is needed.
8) German Maestro GMP 8.35 Mobile - Closed back dynamics that I bought before hearing of the AKG K275. Less fun than the K, but a headphone I consider a very honorable example of trying to deliver very good sound using inexpensive materials to deliver at sub $200. Use them almost nightly for “don’t bother my spouse” YouTube listening.

The success of the Triple Driver has me looking at the Fiio combo of MMCX BT receiver/amp coupled to their F9 Pro.
I have impure thoughts (as far as my wallet is concerned) regarding Sundara, MrSpeakers Aeon Open, Focal (MassDrop) Elex. Maybe one day.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #6,483 of 8,131
I like the bass of the MD HiFiMan 4xx but could use a bit more treble sparkle. Between your Senn 6xx and H Sundara, which do you think would be more likely to get me there? Or shouldn’t I bother with either and save up for the Elex? Thanks!

I haven't heard the 4XX (or 400i) so I can't give you a comparison unfortunately, however, here are my ramblings:
  • The Sundara sounds neutral so you won't have the high end sparkle typical of Hifiman headphones and also IIRC some posted that bass volume was less than the 4XX.
  • The 6XX has a very noticeable roll-off in both high and low frequencies and really needs a lot of power to sound its best - it pairs nicely with tube amps but I think it still won't give you that lower bass rumble or high frequency sparkle.
  • The Elex is basically a much better 650/6XX, however, IMO low frequency rumble is still lacking on the Elex - due to the forward mids you'll still feel the impact of the upper bass, just not that planar low frequency rumble. I think you'll really like the treble on the Elex.
Have you tried the HE-560 - you might like it because it has good bass extension + volume and zing in the treble. Several sellers have the HE-560 on sale on Amazon - just make sure the seller has a good return policy if you go this route. Otherwise, given Sundara vs. 6XX vs. Elex, I'd recommend holding out for the Elex - I really like the Focal headphone house sound as you can tell :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #6,484 of 8,131
I haven't heard the 4XX (or 400i) so I can't give you a comparison unfortunately, however, here are my ramblings:
  • The Sundara sounds neutral so you won't have the high end sparkle typical of Hifiman headphones and also IIRC some posted that bass volume was less than the 4XX.
  • The 6XX has a very noticeable roll-off in both high and low frequencies and really needs a lot of power to sound its best - it pairs nicely with tube amps but I think it still won't give you that lower bass rumble or high frequency sparkle.
  • The Elex is basically a much better 650/6XX, however, IMO low frequency rumble is still lacking on the Elex - due to the forward mids you'll still feel the impact of the upper bass, just not that planar low frequency rumble. I think you'll really like the treble on the Elex.
Have you tried the HE-560 - you might like it because it has good bass extension + volume and zing in the treble. Several sellers have the HE-560 on sale on Amazon - just make sure the seller has a good return policy if you go this route. Otherwise, given Sundara vs. 6XX vs. Elex, I'd recommend holding out for the Elex - I really like the Focal headphone house sound as you can tell :wink:
Really helpful, Anaz thank you! I haven’t heard the 560, will check it out.

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #6,485 of 8,131
1. Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
2. B&O H6 (2nd Gen)

had many other headphones but sold them all to buy my new source :frowning2: so... i wont include them.

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #6,486 of 8,131
1.) Monoprice M1060
2,) Sennheiser 6XX
3.) Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
4.) VModa Crossfade M100
5.) Sony MDR V-6
6.) Audio Technica ATH-M50X
7.) Sony MDR-1A

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #6,490 of 8,131
Currently:

1) Koss Pro4AAA Titanium (not much use for metal or rap, it can become sibilant, but for games and jazz? just marvelous, the detailing is the best i've tried so far)
2) Creative Aurvana Live! 2 ( i put the replacement pads i had bought for the Koss on it, super confortable, very light and good for listening anything)
3) MEMT T5 (a better and cheaper Apple Earpod)

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #6,492 of 8,131
1) M1060c modded to open back honeycomb grills, ZMF suede Eikon pads, Custom headband with ZMF suede Pilot pad.
2) Argon (massdrop Tx0 base, Lambskin ZMF Oval pads)
3) HD6xx
4) HE4xx with ZMF suede Ori pads
5) M560 with leather ori clone pads.
6) K7xx Red with Dekoni sheepskin pads
7) Fostex T50rp MKIII modded
8) HD58x
9) ATH-AD700x (gaming cans, detachable cable mod and v-moda boom mic)

4-9 are more of a Tie. Each has there own greatness.

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #6,493 of 8,131
1. Hifiman Susvara
2. Focal Utopia
3. Hifiman HE6se
4. Sony MDR- Z1R
5. Klipsch HP-3
5. Beyerdynamic T1.2 LE
6. Acoustic Research AR-H1
7. Audeze LCD-2CB
8. Hifiman HE-500
9. Oppo PM-2
10. Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
11. Sennheiser HD650
12. Oppo PM-3
13. Blue Ella

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #6,495 of 8,131
1- Moondrop Kanas Pro
2- Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX
3- Takstar Pro82
4- Grado SR225

Love the kanas pro for how it takes all of the best qualities of my other cans, combines them and then also gives a bit more of each into the whole package. Bass/sub-bass is similar to the 4xx...tight, deep, impactful with just a bit more warmth. The Takstar is a bit boomier with not as much control but still fun (especially with '80's hair metal). Grado has tight mid and upper bass (which makes it nicely rhythmic, but has little lower end extension. Mids on the Kanas Pro are a bit forward (which I like) and closer to the Grado's for clarity, but smoother, more detailed and without the sibilance. They are actually closer to the Hifiman 4xx and Takstar for smoothness, but more detailed and closer sounding to the ear. Highs/treble are superior to all of the others. Smooth and detailed, but not recessed (like 4xx is), great imaging and soundstage (wider than 4xx, but just a tad less deep) very open but without sibilance. Takstar highs are good, but have less resolution and a bit of sibilance. Grados are detailed, but sibilant treble murder on my ears. Cant listen to those for very long because of ear fatigue and they truly do give me a headache.
Overall, my Kanas Pro are my favorite at the moment. I'm actually considering selling my other cans to fund another higher ticket iem, or a Dap. This is high praise for the Kanas Pro, considering that I despised and gave up on iems many years ago after a bad experience with a Shure E5c circa 2005. Kanaspro has made me re-evaluate everything. Awesome sounding, imho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back