Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #6,077 of 8,134
Update 1/9/18:

Senn HD-600 - wired balanced, flat and clean, colorations don't fatigue, but ultimate detail not there

Mass Drop Hifiman X-00 - seductive mids, balanced wiring takes lower bass out of the shadows, still a hump in midbass but lesser. Highs did not have fatigue factor first 125 hours, but now there is some steely issue 6-8k. Very annoying, might need a narrow band eq wired in. Too bad, these would be #1 w/o that.

Fostex TH500RP - soft relaxed sound, changes of damping, pads, and adding a dime sized lump of mortite (can adjust when playing) turned the bass from being fey to being if not macho, at least in balance. More quarter sized and the bass actually got boomy - who knew? Balanced wiring seemed to help the least of my stable. There is still zero annoying treble, but its still shy, so they went from being extreme inverted V to being closer to flat, a lot closer.

Grado SR-80e - for under $100, a deal, ragnarok makes them kick, not wired balanced yet

Mass Drop Fostex FH-X00, fatiguing IMO. Many love them. :15 min at a time enough for me, mod time soon. Balanced makes them more swaggering. Does tamp down a bit of woolyness in the bass. Going to pay bucks to get some update pieces, but the treble will probably never have enough detail, these could be tamed in the bass and mids IMO. Very lively which is good. Imaging and treble just not there and the bass is too pumped up (have no EQ anywhere I run flat except on my X-3 which with the bass set -2 tends to calm these down. Treble still bites.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #6,078 of 8,134
Sennheiser HD600s
Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX
Hifiman He-400i
Fostex T50rp Mayflowers
Phillips SHP9500

My aspired “end game”: MrSpeakers Ether Flow C’s

Rank your headphones. Please rank your headphones that you own and use regularly. Please don’t list or rank headphones that you use to own or that you have tried. My goal here is to have a positive outlook ranking, not a product bashing list. I figure that if you own and use them, you must like them. Right?

My list.

1)AKG K1000
2)Etymotic ER-4S
3)AKG K501
4)Grado SR-125 (looking to upgrade these to SR-325i)

Dec 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #6,079 of 8,134
My iem's are easy as they are stored in ranking order:
JVC HA-FXT 200ltd
JVC HA-FX99X
JVC HA-FX1100
Actually, scrap that. The OP wasn't asking which I liked the best, which others envy, the OP asked which I actually use the most.
JVC HA-MR60X (Dog walking headphones)
Sony MDR 100 aap (Dog walking headphones)
JVC HA-FR100X (Dog walking iem)
Sony MDR XB70ap (Dog walking iem)
Sony MDR Z7 (Critical listening for comparing other headphones)
Senn HD700 (Critical listening for comparing other headphones)
JVC HA-SS01 (Trying to figure out what's wrong with them)
Sony MDR 1A (Enjoying what's right with them)
JVC HA-SD7 (Trying to find out if they really are as good as the HA-S500)
JVC HA-S500 (Still trying to understand how they sound so good and feel so bad) (What I compare everything else to)
I enjoy listening to a short passage of music over and over comparing how it sounds on different phones and iem looking for things I may not have heard or were previously not emphasized. During that I pull out everything a couple at a time. A sonic obstacle course if you will.

"It doesn't isolate much but listenable on the light rail. IMO mids are kind of the weak spot, lacking some definition in body, but makes up for this with good upper mids clarity. The bass extends deep but it is a bit soft/diffuse compared to memory of well powered/eq'd xb90. However without strong source/amp, fx99x will most likely sound better."

wait...so if i hv amp, xb90 destorys the fx99x right? no wait..u use xb70 instead of 90 for (sub) bass

"@TURBO
I like the mids on the fx99x, that is why I refer to them as the fx1100 of bass. I listened to acoustic music on these while I was reviewing them, not because I like that music, but I wanted to hear how they perform without sub bass content. I find them even and smooth across the whole frequency range, including mids. I also listend to acapella. I use music that I know well for reviewing. "

umm ok i give up, whts tht u dont use eq? all ill say to tht is...dolby hometheater v4 is a bigger cancer than the qualcom atheros thts also in my laptop alongside it..sigmatel/idt hd...is so soft it makes my ipadair2 look like a rockgod. teh samsung inearfit just destroys quadbeat3(non akg version...see samsung u didnt need to spend billions!)...tbf i used qb2 eartips though. got wht seems to be a fake ckr9, https://imgur.com/a/HZl5N

can anyone recommand good inearfit alternative...now tht samsung fuked over all their whole userbase with them s8 akg buds, with its non earpod shape...ugh..needless to say im bluesclues when it comes to audio, heck im selling my sanicgear tatooduo3 and sticking with my sbs a300, wht better way to play boutrevenge on x369 than tht and a 1280*1024 4by3!

id use a soundblaster xfi tit, if their drivers werent bsod 24/7...dies in arham asylum...back in 09 when i was running it with a athlonx2 and 16msaa and fizzx on a 8800gt

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #6,083 of 8,134
1. SENN HD800
2. Stax SR007 MK2 SZ
3. SENN HD650
4. Focal Elear
5. Heir 5a
6. Audeze LCD 2F

And I have the Mr. Speakers Aeon closed on the way, so we will see where they land.

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #6,084 of 8,134
Best to worst:

Sony MDR-Z1R
Sennheiser HD800S
Stax SR Lambda Pro
AKG K7XX
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K702
Beyerdynamic DT990
Denon D2000