Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Mar 18, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #3,856 of 8,138
1.) He-400
2.) Mad dogs 3.2
3.) ath m50

If I include past headphones, the ad900x would've been 4, and the hd 555's would be 5.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #3,857 of 8,138
Stuff that's currently with me:
Hifiman RE-600--It's not technically the greatest, but there's something about the sound signature that gets me to keep listening
ZMF T50RP V1--This one's a loaner that's been upgraded. They're fantastic, but I like the sound signature of the RE-600 more.
ZMF T50RP V2--I have a review up for them that summarizes my thoughts; they're pretty close to my ideal sound signature, but I tried more things because I'm an idiot and now they're not enough for me.
Sennheiser HD580--My pair was actually kind of bright. The midrange was great, but the sound was a little too forward for me. I just sold these off to a very lucky man.
AKG Sextett MP--I'm pretty sad I'm letting these go, but they're going to someone that would appreciate them far more than I would. They have a magical midrange, but I want a little more treble than these have.
DUNU DN-1000--I'm still trying to find the time to write a review for these. I really like them for electronic music, but not much else when I have the RE-600 to use.
Grado SR80--I don't know why, but I'm really liking them paired with my amp and holed comfy pads. They're not as forward as with the bowl pads and aren't as grating as other Grados I've tried.
Audio Technica W1000X--I didn't like the sound signature at all. I was about to sell them until one of the drivers went kaput, so now I'm going to experiment with them with W5000 drivers.
ACS T15--They're supposed to be neutral, but they sound a little off to me. Still, they're a step above the stuff below them for technical accuracy. Shame they sound pretty boring though.
Beats Pro--I don't really know why I brought them, but they're my guilty pleasure headphone. They don't really do much right, but for electronic they're entertaining.
Brainwavz HM9--They're better than the M50, but not as good as the Beats Pro. Typical V-shaped sound signature. They're quite comfy and they make a really nice headphone to loan out because they have a really inoffensive sound signature.
Narmoo R1M--I'll have a review out soonish (maybe...). They're an upgrade to the former tunable ported IEMs. For $30, they're a steal.
Velodyne vFree--They were free and bluetooth. The sound signature's definitely consumer friendly, but I've heard worse...and they were free.
Sennheiser HD201--They're okay. I leave them around for certain people to borrow because I don't want them using my nicer stuff because they're clumsy

Wow, I have a lot of headphones in my dorm.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #3,858 of 8,138
Hard exercise:

1) Beyerdynamic T90
2) Sennheiser HD 598
3) Sennheiser Amperior/HD25-1 (love both)
4) Yamaha HPH-200/ Sennheiser HD 239
5) Audio Technica ATH-M50 / Ultrasone Pro 750
6) Beyerdynamic DT880
7) Superlux EVO 681/Shure HD440

I have too many headphones 
blink.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3,860 of 8,138
HD700
HD600
DT880
DN-1000
BA100

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #3,861 of 8,138
I am not trying to create any controversy with the Sennheiser’s appreciation society in this forum
L3000.gif
, but below is the ranking on how I enjoy all my head-phones

I love all of them (otherwise I won’t keep them), but definitely there some cans that I enjoy more than others (hopefully I'll add a Hifiman HE500 to the list soon)

• Beyerdynamic D880 (Pro)
  • AKG K702
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Beyerdynamic D770 (Pro)
  • Beyerdynamic DT 1350
  • Audio Technica ATH-A900x
  • Grado SR125i
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • AKG K550
  • Audio Technica ATH-A700

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,862 of 8,138
  The HD700 is a horrible headphone, avoid it like the plague. 

Don't be so sure about the HD800. Its slightly darker than the K701 and is an absolute beast to power. The K701 is an extremely underrated headphone. It seems like it gets kicked to the dirt simply because it's cheap relative to the other flagships. It does a lot of things right and very few wrong. You'll be hard pressed to find a headphone that's a complete, direct upgrade to it. In fact, the only headphone that comes to mind is the STAX SR-009. 

The K812 might be worth a try if you can deal with a little tizz on the transients; it has deeper bass, higher treble, better soundstage, etc while maintaining the transparency of the K701, but sacrifices some treble control and refinement.

If you're willing to go vintage, the STAX SR-X MKIII is a good complement to the K701, according to my friend. Just make sure you replace the pads else you'll be left with a very bright, bassless experience. You would also need either a transformer box and a speaker amp or a normal bias stat amp, so that'd be more of an endeavor.

Hope this helps.

wow. i heard the HD800 and the Q701 and i wondered if this really worth the money... at first i thought it's because the amp that i used with the HD800, but now you make me wonder...  

so if i just stay with my Q701, is it worth upgrading the amp im using right now? (got the Lovely cube) or just stay like this...

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,863 of 8,138
wow. i heard the HD800 and the Q701 and i wondered if this really worth the money... at first i thought it's because the amp that i used with the HD800, but now you make me wonder...  

so if i just stay with my Q701, is it worth upgrading the amp im using right now? (got the Lovely cube) or just stay like this...
Lovely cube is a clone of the black cube right? In that case, that amplifier is amazing!

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #3,864 of 8,138
  The HD700 is a horrible headphone, avoid it like the plague. 

Don't be so sure about the HD800. Its slightly darker than the K701 and is an absolute beast to power. The K701 is an extremely underrated headphone. It seems like it gets kicked to the dirt simply because it's cheap relative to the other flagships. It does a lot of things right and very few wrong. You'll be hard pressed to find a headphone that's a complete, direct upgrade to it. In fact, the only headphone that comes to mind is the STAX SR-009. 

While I agree with you that the K701 is an incredible headphone does not get enough respect around here, the HD800 (and the T1) is in whole different league.  You have to own them to truly appreciate them...a quick audition in a noisy store or meet does not do them justice.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #3,865 of 8,138

Wait, what? Are you posting your impressions in another thread? Sounds interesting.

I've yet to order the drivers (I sent an email asking if the drivers are matched but never got an answer, but I'm waiting just in case they ever get to it) but I'll definitely document it when I do!

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #3,866 of 8,138
Funny, out of a vintage amp I thought the HD700 was extremely good.  I would buy it for about $500 without a doubt. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,868 of 8,138
Received my HD424 today.
  • Aedle VK-1 (still my favourite pair)
  • Sportapro (light, comfortable and sounds fairly good)
  • HD424 (currently underpowered by the apex glacier I suspect, probably will move up after I try it with the 627 micro)
  • M-Audio Q40 (still no alpha pads to help with comfort)

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,869 of 8,138
Heh. Except that the HD 700 is the complete opposite of horrible. Seriously, it's about the most polarizing can around here. People either love it or hate it and just like anything people hate on the internet, it's usually an exaggerated voice from a smaller or what I perceive to be uninformed crowd. I'm sure there are the people that have lived with it and hated it, but not many. I'm not here to invalidate people's impressions. Just keep in mind it's a polarizing can. That being the case, any one interested in it should grab them and make up their own opinion. Mine is that it's well worth the current asking price.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,870 of 8,138
it blows my mind how much hate the hd700 gets. While i haven't heard the q7xx or hd800, i've heard the hd700 against the he-500 and he-400 and while it is abit of a different flavor, it is a great, world class headphone. To say it is terrible and horrible is a gross and wildly misleading comment.

I find that people that dislike the hd700 are usually comparing it to the hd800 and using the hd800 as the reference to hold the 700 to. but the 700 isn't supposed to be a cheaper-but-as-good hd800. the hd700 is the hd700. If it were the sennheiser flagship and the hd800 didnt exist, we would hear a very different conversation.

If people dont like the hd700, and even hate the hd700, that is ok and there is nothing wrong with voicing that opinion, but hating the hd700 and saying that it is a terrible hp are two very different things. Respect the subjectivity of this hobby and use your vocabulary accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back