Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #3,721 of 8,133
Hopefully there is an amp capable of driving it coming too! I do have a spare HiFiMan custom cable terminated in speaker banana plugs, if you want to borrow that for experimenting.

Will be the EF-6 to try straight away (Getting a price i can't refuse...) although i do have speaker amps available to try too :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #3,722 of 8,133
Will be the EF-6 to try straight away (Getting a price i can't refuse...) although i do have speaker amps available to try too :)

Awesome, keen to hear the 6 from the EF-6

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,723 of 8,133
On the topic of speaker amping headphones, how would tapping a T50RP work? Would this be manageable?? I'm thinking about getting a ZMF sometime, and if I could feed that baby with my 60 WPC Kenwood speaker amp that would no doubt be incredible.

In more on topic news, I'm LOOOOVING these V6's with anything non rock, way more than my SR80i's. So the Grados Woop it for anything rock related, especially prog like Yes and Pink Floyd, but for dance, classical, and just about the rest of my library, these V6's are something else man. Mmm mmm mmm.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,724 of 8,133
On the topic of speaker amping headphones, how would tapping a T50RP work? Would this be manageable?? I'm thinking about getting a ZMF sometime, and if I could feed that baby with my 60 WPC Kenwood speaker amp that would no doubt be incredible.

The T50RP has a high enough max input to be safely driven from speaker taps, hell people sometimes take the drivers out and use them as tweeters in DIY speakers. However, I'd suggest building a resistor network for them.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3,725 of 8,133
My list would look something like...

1. Audeze LCD-2.2
2. AKG K701
3. AKG K271 MKII
4. AKG K272 HD
5. Ashidavox TKM-62
6. Audio Technica ATH-EM7

I'd have to add that while this is still a ranking from best to worst in regards to sound, they all have their own niches, especially considering portability, privacy and ergonomics.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #3,726 of 8,133
  My list would look something like...

1. Audeze LCD-2.2
2. AKG K701
3. AKG K271 MKII
4. AKG K272 HD
5. Ashidavox TKM-62
6. Audio Technica ATH-EM7

I'd have to add that while this is still a ranking from best to worst in regards to sound, they all have their own niches, especially considering portability, privacy and ergonomics.

Just out of curiosity, what are in your opinion the differences in sound between the K271 and the K272?

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3,727 of 8,133
My list...

1. Audio technica Re-700s
2. Martin Logans Mk 90
3. Audio technica ES-700
4. Audio technica WS99
5. JVC HA-S500
6. Sony ZX700

Best to worse.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #3,728 of 8,133

Just out of curiosity, what do you think are the differences in sound between the K271 and the K272?

At least to me, the K271's offer two variables that allow them to sound a bit different than the K272's. The first being that if you keep the stock leatherette pads on, instead of switching them out with the included soft velour pads (which are similar to what the K272 has), the seal over your ears is a little tighter, which blocks out more outside noise, and seems to add to the bass, but also takes away from the comfort level a bit. The second being that you can replace the stock XLR cable; I use an Oyaide HPC-X35 XLR, which seems to add a bit of clarity and richness to the sound, especially the highs. Overall, with different pads and a different cable, the K271's end up sounding a lot less "laid-back" than the K272's, to use a term I've heard others use when describing the AKG sound. I actually got the K271's mostly for use in public; the tighter seal of the leatherette pads, the option of a shorter, more manageable cable, and a "kill-switch" mechanism in the headband that mutes the headphones when you remove them from your head make them more suitable than the K272's for a portable rig (about as portable as any AKG K-series pair of headphones can be). The difference in sound was honestly just a "happy accident".

I know this may sound a bit odd, since I'm not particularly well-versed in audiophile jargon, but I would best describe the difference between the two like this. If you were at a bar listening to a jazz band, the K271's would be the seats directly in front of the band, maybe one or two tables back; the people sitting there might enjoy a drink or two, but they'd mostly be focused on listening intently to the music. The K272's, on the other hand, would be the seats farther back towards the bar, including the bar stools; the people sitting there would be there because they appreciate the music, but they might also be reading, doing work, etc., and while the music still sounds beautiful, it might serve a more ambient role.

Having said all this, I honestly couldn't see myself owning both of them if they had price tags similar to the K701's, but since the K272's and the K271's with a decent aftermarket XLR cable can both be purchased for about $150 apiece, they're different enough in terms of sound and also ergonomics to justify owning both of them.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,729 of 8,133
Thanks KeepAkibaWeird for the explanation.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #3,731 of 8,133
  I tend to lean towards the more bass heavy headphones:

VSonic GR07 Bass Edition
DT770 tied with HD558
AKG K550
Atrio MG7
Senn SE215

Apparently the K550 was criticized for not having enough bass, but do correct me if I'm wrong :p I'm wondering because you've ranked it above the SE215 which is apparently a basshead IEM.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,733 of 8,133
  Apparently the K550 was criticized for not having enough bass, but do correct me if I'm wrong :p I'm wondering because you've ranked it above the SE215 which is apparently a basshead IEM.

I really like the soundstage on the K550. Makes it really good for gaming and I tend to enjoy full-size headphones anyways. I also found that the bass was still present in the K550 and just ramped up the EQ a bit to get more quantity.

EDIT: Meant to add a quote.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,734 of 8,133
  I really like the soundstage on the K550. Makes it really good for gaming and I tend to enjoy full-size headphones anyways. I also found that the bass was still present in the K550 and just ramped up the EQ a bit to get more quantity.

EDIT: Meant to add a quote.

You sure love that bass a lot then! 

Criticized by whom?  IMHO, the 550s are already sitting on the warm side, and it's bass goes quite deep... Maybe you're mixing up the K/Q701?

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,735 of 8,133
  You sure love that bass a lot then! 

Criticized by whom?  IMHO, the 550s are already sitting on the warm side, and it's bass goes quite deep... Maybe you're mixing up the K/Q701?

I've read how AKG designed the K545 to have more bass based on user complaints that the K550 didn't have enough...of course, that could just be consumers confusing 'OMGTONSOFBASS' with 'emphasized bass'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back