Sep 4, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #7,696 of 8,134
  1. Final D8000
  2. Hifiman Arya v2
  3. LCD-X 2021
  4. Hifiman Sundara
  5. HD 6XX
  6. Focal Elegia
  7. AKG K702
Elegia is hard to rate - it is great with certain genres/tracks but can be bottom of the list with others. If I rate it as a complementary headphone and given its closed back factor, it rates higher than HD 6XX and Sundara due to its uniqueness but if I had to only own 1 headphone, the latter > Elegia.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #7,697 of 8,134
And this is not an exaggeration.
List of what I have had and HE-1000 V2 just trounces them all.
Headphones:
-------------------
Hifiman HE-1000 v2 (balanced)
Hifiman HE-6SE v2 (balanced, Dekoni Fenesrated Sheepskin Earpads, Honeycomb Grills)
Sennheiser HD800 (balanced, SuperDupont Resonator)
Sennheiser HD650 (balanced)
Focal Clear MG Pro (balanced, Dekoni Stellia LTD pads)
Audeze LCD-X 2021 (balanced, Dekoni Fenesrated Sheepskin Earpads)
Beyerdynamic T1 v1 (balanced)
ATH-W5000 (L3000 Pads)
ATH-AD2000
ATH-ESW9
Fostex TH600 (Dekoni TH900 sheepskin pads, Lawton Tune-Up, Mahogany Cups)
AKG K271S
Sony MDR-7520
Sony MDR-1R (Dynamat Mod)
Sony MDR-1AM2
Sony WH-1000XM4

IEMs:
--------
Ety-ER4S
ATH-CM700Ti
Logitech UE900s
1More Quad Driver
Smabat ST-10s Gold (150 Ohm)
Dunu SA6
ThieAudio Monarch MKII

Gone:
MrSpeakers Mad Dog 3.2
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium Manufaktur (600 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT250 (80 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium (250 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium (250 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium (600 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT48E (25 Ohm)
Audeze LCD-2.2 (Bamboo)
Denon AH-D5000 (MarkL Mod, Angle Pads, Cardas)
Sony MDR-SA5000
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser Momentum
Grado MS2i
Ultrasone HFI-650
Ultrasone PL750
Denon AH-D950
Denon AH-D2000
ATH-A900
ATH-ES7
JBL220
AKG K702
1More Triple Driver
How would you compare them against the HE6se V2's, features/technicality wise?
I was not much of a HiFiman fan with my first couple of sets, but really love the V2's. I can't afford to jump to the Susvara's, but have wondered about the in-between models.

Sep 4, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #7,698 of 8,134
How would you compare them against the HE6se V2's, features/technicality wise?
I was not much of a HiFiman fan with my first couple of sets, but really love the V2's. I can't afford to jump to the Susvara's, but have wondered about the in-between models.
I think it will be long time before I go back to HE6SE.
It's a mix of HD800 and HE6SE, soundstage and details that even surpass HD800 and hard hitting bass from HE6SE. They are also smoother and much more refined than HE6SE. They could sound a bit aggressive in treble at first depending on where you come from, as you are Grado fan it shouldn't be an issue, other than that just give them some head time to adjust.
And you'd love build quality, very nice departure from HE6SE, new respect for Hifiman from me, except man, these cables, come on.
This review compares both, pretty accurate in my view on most points.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #7,699 of 8,134
I think it will be long time before I go back to HE6SE.
It's a mix of HD800 and HE6SE, soundstage and details that even surpass HD800 and hard hitting bass from HE6SE. They are also smoother and much more refined than HE6SE. They could sound a bit aggressive in treble at first depending on where you come from, as you are Grado fan it shouldn't be an issue, other than that just give them some head time to adjust.
And you'd love build quality, very nice departure from HE6SE, new respect for Hifiman from me, except man, these cables, come on.
This review compares both, pretty accurate in my view on most point.
Thanks for the link. Interesting video. Before I bought the HE6se's I spoke to a headphone veteran on another forum and he broke down the differences to the Arya for me. Bottom line is that if you have a big-time amp already, the HE6se's were/are a smokin' deal.

I have been hard at this hobby for about seven years now and have spent a Ton of money buying mistakes. But that's what it takes to learn.
I now have several companies that I want to climb the family tree with and several I will never touch again.

Have you compared your favourites against the other similarly priced 'phones from
HiFiman? HE1000SE V2, I think?

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #7,700 of 8,134
1. Meze Elite
2. Denon D9200
3. Rosson RAD-0
4. HD800S
5. Denon D5200
6. Linsoul 7hz Timeless
7. Hifiman HE R7DX JM
8. Philips Fidelio X2HR
9. Everything else

This really has me intrigued in the D9200....one of the only high-end headphones I haven't tried at this point. I love the RAD-0, so seeing the D9200 over it has me very interested......the closed-back hump is hard for me to get over sometimes, though.

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #7,701 of 8,134
Headphone Rankings:
LCD-5 (EQ'd)
Susvara
ZMF Atrium
ZMF Verite Closed
HE1000SE
Arya Stealth
LCD-X 2021 (EQ'd)
HD800S (EQ'd)
DCA Aeon 2 Noire
Focal Clear/Elex
E-mu Teak
Hifiman Edition XS
Sennheiser HD 600
Sennheiser HD 6XX
Hifiman Sundara
Sennheiser HD 58X
Koss PortaPro

IEM Rankings:
U12T
Monarch MKII
Dunu SA6
7Hz Timeless
Blessing 2 Dusk
Moondrop Variations

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #7,702 of 8,134
Thanks for the link. Interesting video. Before I bought the HE6se's I spoke to a headphone veteran on another forum and he broke down the differences to the Arya for me. Bottom line is that if you have a big-time amp already, the HE6se's were/are a smokin' deal.

I have been hard at this hobby for about seven years now and have spent a Ton of money buying mistakes. But that's what it takes to learn.
I now have several companies that I want to climb the family tree with and several I will never touch again.

Have you compared your favourites against the other similarly priced 'phones from
HiFiman? HE1000SE V2, I think?
Was looking at SE but based on info and feedback I've gathered and my sonic preferences ended up with V2.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/he1000-se-vs-v2.964437/

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #7,703 of 8,134
My current top 12 IEMs:
1. Unique Melody Red Halo FE
2. Elysian Annihilator
3. Oriolus Traillii
4. Aroma Jewel
5. 64 Audio U12t
6. Vision Ears EXT
7. Empire Ears Legend EVO
8. FIR Audio XE6
9. Empire Ears Odin
10. Unique Melody MEST Indigo
11. Sony IER-Z1R
12. Empire Ears Legend X (custom)

My current top 12 headphones:
1. Hifiman Susvara
2. Abyss 1266 Phi TC
3. STAX SR-X9000 (ordered)
4. Focal Utopia
5. STAX SR-007 mki
6. ZMF Atrium Koa
7. Hifiman HE1000SE (with EQ)
8. ZMF Verite Closed Koa
9. Hifiman HE1000v2
10 Sennheiser HD800S
11. Hifiman Ayra v2
12. Focal Clear OG

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #7,705 of 8,134
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #7,706 of 8,134
1. Hifiman Susvara
2. ZMF Verite Closed
3. ZMF Atrium
4. Sennheiser HD800S
5. Sennheiser HD660S

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #7,707 of 8,134
I've updated my list.

1. AKG K340 /imaging and details are superb, almost magical. EQ'd. /The Elex take #1 without eq applied
2. Focal Elex /almost #1, another great detailed, imaging HP.
3. HD650/ one tier below 1 and 2, not as detailed but has a great sound Signature.
4. Gap
5. V-Moda CFW/ great sounding all around portable. Easy to drive
6. Pioneer Monitor 10/ Classic flat frequency
7. Philips SHP9500 /budget King
8. K7XX/ great for gaming
8. HD598 / not bad at all just a tad grainy.
9. AKG K240 studio/ not my cup of tea

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #7,708 of 8,134
Revise for my list, as my inventory has turned over in the last six months. A JDS Labs Atom+ DAC/amp stack powers the first four on this list, with a JDS Labs Subjective 3 three-band analog equalizer:

1. Audeze LCD-2C. LOVE these with mild EQ to reduce the mids and add treble. Sumptious, tight, controlled bass. Good imaging. A fine rock headphone. Very comfortable despite the weight. This is my first pair of Audezes, and I love their "house sound" even if there's not a ton of detail up top with the LCD-2C. There's still enough for me, though, as I prefer a warmer signature. Really keen to try the LCD-X 2021 version, as reviews of that sound signature indicate it could be the holy grail for me. I know people moan about the heft of Audeze cans, but these are the most comfortable, best-fitting headphones in my collection. I guess I have a thick neck. I also find the Audeze suspension headband to spread the extra weight evenly, and the stock leather earpads are divine -- the most comfortable I've worn.

2. Sennheiser HD 6XX. The classic. Sure, they have faults, such as lack of resolution in the highs. But the mids are butter. Absolute butter. It will take something special to dislodge this jack-of-all-trades workhorse from my collection.

3. HiFiMan Edition XS. I LOVED these when I got them very early this year, but the shine is losing some luster. The XS still are fantastic for $500, but the LCD-2C have provided me with an interesting -- and better, to my ears and brain -- contrast. The XS bass is good and present, but it's not as tight or pinpoint as the LCD-2C. Yes, the XS has more clarity in the treble, but I think the LCD-2C has better imaging. The XS also get a bit congested with aggressive treble, something I hear in my HE-400se. I elevate the mids and drop the treble a smidge with EQ. Still a great headphone. But they could hit the sales block sooner than I thought, as I really want to fund exploration of higher-end Audezes, such as the LCD-X 2021.

4. HiFiMan HE-400se. These still are the best headphones I've heard under $200. Full stop. But I'm getting to the point in the hobby where I've advanced to mid-fi, and these just don't hold up to the three above cans. There is a bit of a treble peak, and treble gets congested in busy pieces. But these can't be beat for anyone looking to sample their first planar or get a superb headphone for less than $130 USD. I'm looking to sell these to contribute to the Audeze LCD-X fund.

5. AKG N400NC. The best Bluetooth earbuds I've heard, and I've heard a lot. These have outstanding imaging, soundstage and separation for a TWS earbud. They sound like they hug the Harman Curve, which is expected from AKG. The ANC is average, and the battery life is pretty poor. And the fit could be much better for me. The shells are huge, and the included tips and wings don't help much to hold them in my ears. But the sound, baby, the sound. These sound better than Sony and Sennheiser TWS buds that cost twice as much. I got these last year for $48 from AKG, marked down from $150, and they're excellent.

6. Master & Dynamic ME05. Wired earbuds from everyone's favorite overpriced Brooklyn hipster headphone manufacturer. I got them for $8 from Amazon, marked down from $150. The Southern District of New York should prosecute M&D for selling these buds for $149.99 retail. Criminal. They're worth about $49, tops. V-shaped, not great detail, OK separation and imaging. Total throwaways. But for $8, they serve a purpose.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #7,709 of 8,134
IEM Rankings:
U12T
Dunu SA6
7Hz Timeless
Monarch MKII
Blessing 2 Dusk
Moondrop Variations
Curios what was your criteria for ranking Dunu SA6 higher than Monarch MKII. Was it price/performance ratio, comfort issue, or purely sonic preference.
Granted SA6 punches way about its price weight, but better than MKII? :thinking:

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #7,710 of 8,134
Curios what was your criteria for ranking Dunu SA6 higher than Monarch MKII. Was it price/performance ratio, comfort issue, or purely sonic preference.
Granted SA6 punches way about its price weight, but better than MKII? :thinking:
My rankings are mainly based off personal enjoyment and price to performance. I really liked how smooth the SA6 was and found myself listening away to my music more with them. The Monarchs are definitely more technical but the SA6 are pretty great for their price and suit my preferences more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back