Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Feb 20, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #7,576 of 8,134
Depending on when the LCD-3F was manufactured, there was a time when there was quite a bit of unit to unit variation in the early fazor days. Some sounded great, some sounded like ass no matter what's in your chain.
You are correct. Possibly the case. Unit to unit variation also plagued LCD4s.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #7,577 of 8,134
New headphones since last I posted here, updated list:

Over-ear open back

1. Focal Clear MG Pro
This headphone addresses the complaints I had with the Elex and original Clear, mainly the metallic timbre in the treble. It also has better bass than those two, and a smoother more laid back upper midrange. Darker treble than most headphones, but very detailed still. For my tastes, the tonality is nearly perfect. The Focal macro-dynamics and punch/slam are unmatched, and just an incredible headphone for every genre. I use these most of the time along with the HD58X.

2. Hifiman HE-500
Upgraded the stock pads to Focus-A pads, the planar bass extension is god-like. So fast and clean. Probably the most speaker-like surround sound theater presentation I have heard, aside from the HD800S. But I like these more than the 800S and 8XX even with EQ, because the HE-500 to my ears has much better bass and a more agreeable frequency response overall. My favorite for movies and bass heavy music. Only complaint I got is the weight, but I have since upgraded to an Audeze headband which helps a lot.

3. Sennheiser HD58X
Yeah, the 58X is less technically proficient than the Clear and HE-500. But I still use them more than the rest of my collection for a few reasons. First, the legendary Sennheiser midrange is unbeatable. I have yet to hear a headphone that matches the naturalness of the midrange and lower treble of the Sennheiser HD6XX series, and the 58X is no exception. Second, the lighter weight and stock velour pads make these comfortable for hours, while still getting a good 80% of the technical performance of my other high end headphones. I have done extensive comparing back and forth between the 58X, 600, 650, and 660S. My conclusion, the 58X has the best bass of the 600 series, and matches the sound of the 660S in the midrange and treble. And I prefer the more laid back upper midrange of the 58X and 660S over the more traditional 600 and 650. So the 58X was the best pick for me. With EQ in the sub bass, these sound even better and are not too far behind the others.

4. Hifiman HE-560
Take everything I said about the HE-500, and dial it down a few steps. It is lighter, more comfortable, and maybe a little faster in the leading attack than the HE-500. The only issue I have with these is the dynamic range is not nearly as good as the HE-500, and the bass is not as good. These are tied with the Sundara which I sold, but with EQ I actually prefer these because the upper treble sounds more natural to me.

5 Sennheiser HD600/HD650
Tying these two together because they are so similar. Legendary headphones that need no explanation. I used the HD650 as a daily driver for 6 straight years when I first started out in headphones. Always came back to them because of how natural and correct they sounded. I used to love both the 650 and 600 more than anything else, but my tastes have changed and I now prefer a little more laid back upper mids and more extended bass.

6. Audio Technica R70X
These have a very natural frequency response, maybe better than the HD58X and HD650 in some areas. However, I have complaints about the fit, the stock pads, and overall technical performance. The bass is ok, but the 58X is tighter and more controlled. Also, these need different pads to sound the best. I use Hifiman Dekoni Hybrid pads, and that helps with the bass and soundstage a bit. It is a lightweight headphone, but the shape does not fit my head very well. Also, it is not very dynamic compared to the Sennheiser headphones, and just lacks a bit in the technicalities like detail, speed, resolution, etc. Good, but not my top pick.

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #7,578 of 8,134
This is a symptom of weak/incompatible amplifier. Try a class A push pull that can output 3w+ at 50ohm.

If the Jote 2 can't drive it balanced, I don't think anything could.

Not that I think that's the issue, though. It's not bad extension, it just can't quite match the HE-500's. In fact, I think the only open headphone I've heard that retains its low bass better than the HE-500 is the Abyss AB-1266.

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #7,579 of 8,134
If the Jote 2 can't drive it balanced, I don't think anything could.

Not that I think that's the issue, though. It's not bad extension, it just can't quite match the HE-500's. In fact, I think the only open headphone I've heard that retains its low bass better than the HE-500 is the Abyss AB-1266.
Nothing against Jote it’s an entry level amp. A lot of voltage not a lot of current. Little over 1w into 50ohm in SE is average for this class. Balanced is just adding 6db of voltage gain, nothing to really get excited about.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #7,580 of 8,134
Nothing against Jote it’s an entry level amp. A lot of voltage not a lot of current. Little over 1w into 50ohm in SE is average for this class. Balanced is just adding 6db of voltage gain, nothing to really get excited about.

The Jote 2 is rated at 4W into 50ohm through balanced. More than ample for a headphone like this (or any headphone).

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #7,581 of 8,134
The Jote 2 is rated at 4W into 50ohm through balanced. More than ample for a headphone like this (or any headphone).
It’s not. Watt is not the measure of performance, unfortunately.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #7,582 of 8,134
Denon D5k with ML mod, added a cable as well just because mine was breaking, can't say I tell a difference with this 200 dollar add on cable.
Those are the only headphones I love, others I own:
Hifiman HE-500
Sennheiser 222 (I think? old headphones, long broke)
AKG K72

Looking for a new set for when my Denon's eventually die :frowning2: already had them rebuilt once

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #7,584 of 8,134
Part 2, ranking my IEMs:

(I use EQ with all my IEMs, to get closer to the tonality of open back headphones like the HD650 and Clear MG Pro)

1. Dunu Zen Pro - Very open and large sounding, approaches the Focal Clear in dynamics and other areas like speed, detail, resolution, etc. Cleanest and most high quality bass I've heard out of an IEM, almost planar-like. There is a narrow 7kHz peak that is easily fixed with EQ. Different tips alter the mids and treble a lot. I'm using the Spin Fit CP145 which is the best comfort and sound for my ears.

2. JVC HA-FDX1 - Amazing especially at the price point, they are a small step down from the Zen Pro. The included tuning filters kill too much upper treble for my tastes, so I use the stock filter with EQ. Very clean and linear with lots of detail, and a nearly perfect bass response. I think it actually sounds faster in the mid bass and lower mids than the Zen Pro to my ears, but it's not as detailed or wide sounding as the Zen Pro.

3. Hifiman RE-400 - These really surprised me, in a good way. Aside from the occasional shoutiness at 2 kHz and a peak at 5kHz, the rest of the range is extremely balanced and natural. Probably the most natural stock sound I have heard in an IEM. On top of that, these are lightweight and more comfortable than the FDX1 while still getting a solid 85% there in terms of sound quality. Very underrated IEM in my opinion, and sounds WAY more expensive than it's current sale price of $29.

4. Etymotic ER2XR - With the new dual flange tips, these are finally comfortable for me now, and actually sound better. For my tastes, there is too much presence in the 2-4kHz range, but it is very clean and detailed. The bass is also really good, just at the right level. These really shine in the treble, which is brilliant and almost glassy in it's character yet smooth. Soundstage and imaging are a bit lacking compared to the three above, but still not bad at all especially considering it's small size and weight. Isolation is world class, my pick for noisy environments.

5. Sony MH755 - These are the absolute benchmark for a $10 earphone. While not as technically impressive as the above, I can't believe they sound so good for the price. I would say these compete easily with most $100 IEMs. They are almost as good as the ER2XR, with less detail but actually smoother upper treble and a wider stage. Again, like most IEMs I've tried, these have too much energy in the 4-6kHz region, but once equalized it is very good tonality. Also very light and comfortable, easy to listen for hours without fatigue.

6. Klipsch X10 - The stock tonality is too warm and too recessed in the upper mids for my tastes. The treble is also rolled off more than I like. However, EQ can save them thanks to it's clean BA driver. Bass is especially good for a single BA driver IEM, but also less impactful and dynamic than the ER2XR and MH755. They are the most comfortable and lightweight IEMs I have tried. I can wear these for hours, with zero fatigue.

7. Etymotic ER2SE - As to be expected, these are the ER2XR without the bass boost. They may have a tiny bit better treble, but the lack of a full extended bass response is very noticeable, and makes these sound kind of lifeless and dull. Equalizing the bass helps, but the ER2XR still sounds tighter to my ears.

These are the IEMs I have on hand right now. I have also tried the Kinera Nanna Imperial, Final Audio E5000, Sennheiser IE800S, Klipsch X20i, and I'm sure I missed some others. Based on memory, I would put the Kinera Nanna above the FDX1 for technical performance, not tonality. Final Audio E5000 is somewhere in the ER2XR range, and the IE800S is probably tied with the JVC. The Klipsch X20i had a really nasty distortion/resonance in the treble that ruined it for me, so I'd put it in last place.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #7,585 of 8,134
1. Audeze LCD-5 (got them today)
2. Denon AH-D9200
3. Argon T60RT
4. HFM Sundara
5. Sennheiser Momentum 2

my_photo-10.jpg

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #7,588 of 8,134
New Headphone. Updated list.

1. AKG K1000
2. AKG K340 Equalized
3. V-MODA Crossfade 2 Equalized
Yes V-moda. More detailed,better frequency range than 4-8 when EQ'd and Very easy to drive from my phone.
4. Philips fidelio x2hr
5. Hifiman HE-400i
6. Sennheiser HD-598
7. HD 58x JUBILEE
8. Akg k240 studio

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #7,589 of 8,134
Neither is truly better than other but as a vocal lover :

1) Sennheiser HD560S (but with a tube amp, in my case Cayin HA-1A Mk2, it adds more body to vocals) :

The perfect equilibrium to enjoy voices, I feel like in heaven with some of my favourite songs. I was looking for this specific tonality since the cheap Sennheiser RS130 RF headset. For instruments, it is less refined and detailed than the following headphones.

2) Sennheiser RS130 (RF)

This sounds weird as they ar epretty cheap but I like the sense of clarity with a foot in the brighter side of the spectrum. Unfortunately, these have a soldered cable which broke (two times, I have had two of these) so it is usable with cable manipulation.

3) AKG K712 Pro | Denon D5200 | Sony MDR1000X (wired and weirdly only with FiiO M11 Plus)

I do not know really how to rank them as they have all their strenghts and weaknesses.
AKG K712 has a wide (but not that accurrate) soundstage and immerse well in instrumental instruments (like NieR songs)
Denon D5200 is unbelievably good in games and movies (as it retrive a lot of details in background elements) and so in music with refined intrumental manipulation.
Both are a bit too recessed with voices.
Sony MDR1000X I do not remeber that much, I use them rarely now but they are pretty good. I will reuse them because ANC is pretty convenient at work, a lot more powerful than traditional closed-back headphones.

4) Sennheiser RS185 (RF) (I have RS175 too but I use it almost never, they are worse)

They are a bit too dark to my taste, solid but I am not a big fan. They are well tuned for TV and video games though.

5) Corsair HS35

I bought it on a huge sale in supermarket to have something to use for remote work. They are a disaster with music.

I think that I will purchase one last pair of headphones. I do not know now, maybe HD800S or Heddphones. For know HD560S covers what I needed so much that I am afraid to be disappointed even with "expensive" headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #7,590 of 8,134
  1. Pioneer SE-Monitor 5 - Neutral reference
  2. Focal Clear with Dekoni Sheepskin pads - Fun, full sound
  3. Modded Final Audio Sonorous III (close 2nd)- Bassy, maybe too warm, recessed vocals, sparkly and shimmery treble
  4. Modded Sony z7m2 - Sub bass monster
  5. Sennheiser 58x - Neutralish warm, vocal forward
  6. Audio Technica m40x - Neutral, a bit boring
  7. Modded Fostex t50 rp mk3 - Need to get rid of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back