Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Feb 4, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #7,546 of 8,131
1. T+A Solitaire-P
2. Focal Utopia
3. HiFiMan Susvara
4. Abyss 1266 TC Phi
5. Focal Stellia
6. Sennheiser HD650

The solitaire P feels the most "complete" and is without a doubt the best all-rounder of all my hps. I am so glad I took the plunge on that headphone.
I need to hear a Solitaire P. I do find it interesting how you have the AB-1266 TC's ranked. They are kind of dropping down my list as well.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #7,547 of 8,131
I need to hear a Solitaire P. I do find it interesting how you have the AB-1266 TC's ranked. They are kind of dropping down my list as well.

I do hope you get a chance to try the SolP! I'm really enjoying it.

the more I look at my ranking, I find I am placing the HPs based on overall performance and usability. if that's the case, I probably should have put the Stellia above the Abyss..

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #7,548 of 8,131
I do hope you get a chance to try the SolP! I'm really enjoying it.

the more I look at my ranking, I find I am placing the HPs based on overall performance and usability. if that's the case, I probably should have put the Stellia above the Abyss..
I’ll have my Stellia’s in a couple of weeks. I can’t wait to get a listen to them. I’m finding my listening preferences are changing to something similar to yours. Ease of use, drive ability, and overall performance go along way with me now. If I could, I would prefer to drive everything straight out of my Dave. Since that‘s not the case I like having options. There are just so many great headphones out here.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #7,551 of 8,131
Update time. Working my way up the food chain one at a time.

1. K1000's (Heavenly Addiction)

20220207_202454.jpg

2. K340's ( I can honestly say these may be better than K1000's with a slight eq 🤔 adjustment around 2.5 Khz -4 db in certain genres)

20220109_141729.jpg

Just started into my Headphone journey. Nothing too fancy but enjoying the ride.
The rest of my list are definitely not in the same league but still serve a purpose.

3. Hifiman HE-400i
4. Sennheiser HD-598
5. HD 58x JUBILEE
6. Akg k240 studio

I think I'm leaning towards Team AKG so far.🤔 Maybe some K240 Sextet or DF's next.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #7,552 of 8,131
There doesn’t seem to be one perfect headphones. The best bet is to have a few headphones for different types of music and listening experience.

Updated list of my order of preference, in the following categories:

• For neutralish/analytical listening:

Stax X9000 - Transparency and imaging king. Superior technicality but needs warm source to be its best
Perun Rock v1 - Raal stage with Abyss bass. Needs warm source to excel
Hifiman Susvara - Great all-around presentation without flaws, but not impactful enough
Hifiman Shangri-La Jr - Great neutrality, coherent presentation
Raal SR1a - Great stage and imaging, but missing sub bass. With EQ, almost perfect sounding
Stax 009 - Well balanced, but something off with voicing
Focal Utopia - Balanced, but small stage and a bit hot
Sony CD3000 - Good stage for a closed-back, but colored and diffused sound of wall
Stax L700 - Almost like 009, but diffused stage
Stax Lambda Sig - Neutral, but too thin
Grado HP1000 - Balanced, great timbre but flat stage
Sony SA5000 - Too bright and thin notes

• For smooth mids:

Sony R10 - Glorious mids, smoothest stage of all but sub-bass light
Valkyria - Impactful and weighty notes, excellent for acoustic instruments but lacks sub-bass
Perun v5 - Great mids, generally similar to 009 but more organic sound
Senn HE60 - Smooth mids, but soft bass

• For impactful bass:

Phenomenon Canorum - HE90 clone with proper bass and dynamics. With EQ the best bass impact of all
Perun Live Sound v1 - Wide and forward stage, smooth mids with Abyss bass
Abyss CC - Powerful bass, but recessed mids
Stax 007mk1 - Good timbre, lacking a bit subbass and recessed highs
Sony Z1R - Good stage for a closed-back, but metallic mids and too much bass quantity

Some of these have been sold, most (to my preferences or likings) I keep for different music styles or presentation.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #7,553 of 8,131
Updated on 18/7/2022 - My totally subjective ranking for gears i currently owned ( sources are mostly Tidal and Spotify):

Headphones (except otherwise noted, they're running from topping A90/D90 stack mostly; portable Fiio M17/ AK CA1000):
  1. Hifiman Susvara (the only headphone i use mid-gain with my A90 - sounds indeed very similar to HEkSE but just way more difficult to drive and less bright treble. it dethroned my hekse and became my new favorite. just not suitable for portable sources)
  2. Hifiman HE1000SE (bright but almost perfect for my taste - just always keep me wonder if i should get the susvara - and eventually i got the SUS . . .)
  3. Focal Utopia (on par with HEKSE. just it sounds not as wide)
  4. Audeze LCD-5 (very good and enjoyable warm sound. balance and not overwhelmingly bassy as some said on typical audeze cans. the stock cable looks and feels good too. good resolution and not too difficult to drive too)
  5. Sennheiser HD800s (so uniquely sound and it's the cans i usually use as a reference to compare new acquisition. also one of the best value in this hobby now).
  6. ATH-L5000 (very good sounding - wide soundstage and decent, normal tuning unlike most other ATH cans - but definitely not worth the price for sound quality alone. leather also feels not on par with that on my JLP/EG shoes or eastman jackets)
  7. Pioneer SE-Master1 (very good build quality, i like the cable construction a lot! dynamic sound, comfortable to wear. there's no major fault i could find in these cans. a very well put together and accomplished product. again, a very good bargain against TOTL cans recently come to market)
  8. Final Audio D8000Pro (very tasteful japanese industrial design. i think this is actually a closed back despite many reviews said it's open!)
  9. Focal Stellia (utopia is so good that i was enticed to buy the closed back ver too. this is a bit more exciting than utopia too)
  10. Dan Clark Audio Stealth (can't really come to like DCA house sound but still keep buying :stuck_out_tongue: craftmanship is excellent but the design doesnt match the technical performance & craftsmanship. and it's the hardest to drive headphone i've owned other than SUS. i should rated it higher objectively but just don't really like it subjectively)
  11. Meze Empryean (the most tasteful design of all headphones. sound is secondary if something is so beautiful!)
  12. Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 (sounds like a bargain against new top tiers but too expensive when pitch against hd800s)
  13. Raal SR1a running from Jot R (missed the k1000 and wish to test the strength of this form factor. mid bass is a bit thin but still ok for me. lack sub-bass as many have said)
  14. Sennheiser HD820 (not really that bad as many have rated. quite a lot of bass like z1r but sounds more like hd800s in other areas)
  15. Drop x Koss ESP/95x ( using the included energizer (looks very cheap!). surprisingly bassy for electrostatic. smooth sound)
  16. Meze Liric (again exceptionally strong in aesthetic design with sound performance to match its beauty)
  17. Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS (one of the best for ACG/female vocal but weak in soundstage, as it should be for closed back)
  18. Denon AH-D9200 (exciting, energetic with good details. this is one of the best closed back in fact. i just dislike the headband design - it presses my head very uncomfortably! also the earpad's rectangular openings are quite small and rubbing my ears )
  19. Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT (the wood grain is so much more beautiful than AWAS but less enticing for ACG/femal vocal that ATH woodies are made for)
  20. AKG K812 (i bought this 6 years ago at just what a WP900 would cost at 2022 - we're experiencing hyper inflation first hand)
  21. Sony MDR-Z1R (very bass heavy!)
  22. Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (if looks can kill, this is it! the "flame maple finish" is gorgeous!
  23. Drop x Dan Clark Audio Ether CX (actually quite decent sounding and the carbon fiber cups looks exemplary! just require decent current delivery to drive)
  24. Hifiman HE-R10D (mostly listening through bluetooth connection by the include bluemini dongle)
  25. Dan Clark Audio Ether 2 (DCA house sound doesnt click for me. the pads feel a bit weird that i made strange noise when press and rebound)
  26. Dan Clark Audio Aeon open (DCA is not good at openback as many have said. from the 4 pairs i owned, i agree to his generalization)
(i've moved the part about iem and tws iem to the similar "Rank the IEM's you've heard" thread under portable headphones forum to make this more appropriate to the topic:))

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #7,554 of 8,131
Early 2022:

1. ZMF Autuer Cocobolo
2. Beyerdynamic T1.2
3. Sennheiser HD800
4. DCA Aeon Flow Open X
5. Beyerdynamic Amiron Home/ Beyerdynamic DT1990 (tie)
6. Hifiman Sundara/ Sennheiser HD6XX (tie)
7. Modhouse Argon
8. Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD660s (tie)
9. Sennheiser HD58X/Hifiman Deva (tie)
10. Phillips Fidelio X1
11. Hifiman He 4XX
12. Sennheiser HD598c
13. AKG 553 mk 2

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #7,555 of 8,131
In order of preference most to least

LSA HP-1
Stefan Audio Arts modified HD800S
Linsoul Gold Planar GL2000
HE1000se (sold) Edgy highs only partially correctable by EQ
Abyss 1266 Phi TC (sold) Extremely uncomfortable
ZMF Verite Closed Leopardwood (sold) Rolled off highs
Heddphone (sold) Plasticy coloration

Equipment: Sparkos Labs Aries, Woo WA6SE, Moon IHA-1 headphone amps, Denafrips Iris DDC, Yggdrasil DAC (analog 2 and Unison mods), Galaxy S4 tablet running UAPP android USB audio pro app, Double Helix headphone cable, Magnan Type Vi interconnects, Shunyata Omega USB cable .

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #7,557 of 8,131
Updated list of my order of preference, in the following categories:

• For neutralish/analytical listening:

Stax X9000 - Transparency and imaging king. Superior technicality
Raal SR1a - Great stage and imaging, but missing sub bass
Hifiman Shangri-La Jr - Good neutrality, coherent presentation
Stax 009 - Well balanced, but something off with voicing
Focal Utopia - Balanced, but small stage and a bit hot
Perun Rock - Raal stage with bass impact, but dryish. Recessed mids
Sony CD3000 - Good stage for a closed-back, but colored and diffused sound of wall
Stax L700 - Almost like 009, but diffused stage
Stax Lambda Sig - Neutral, but too thin
Grado HP1000 - Balanced, but flat stage
Sony SA5000 - Too bright

• For smooth mids:

Sony R10 - Glorious mids, but sub-bass light
Phenomenon Canorum - HE90 clone with proper bass and dynamics
Perun Classic - Great mids, but missing from the lowest and highest end
Senn HE60 - Smooth mids, but soft bass

• For impactful bass:

Perun Live - Wide stage and smooth mids with Abyss bass
Abyss CC - Excellent bass, but recessed mids
Stax 007mk1 - Good timbre, but mid bass hump
Sony Z1R - Good stage for a closed-back, but metallic mids and too much bass quantity

Some of these have been sold, most (to my preferences or likings) I keep for different music styles or presentation.

According to the Internet the Stax X9000 won't be available for shipping until June 2022. Does that mean that your evaluation is entirely based on the reviews?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #7,558 of 8,131
According to the Internet the Stax X9000 won't be available for shipping until June 2022. Does that mean that your evaluation is entirely based on the reviews?
No, this is supposed to be a ranking of headphones one owns.
I have had the X9000 for six weeks now. Some distributors managed to get a few pairs in stock in Europe.

3542E53A-598C-44E0-BED6-7F7AD12AD8D5.jpeg

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #7,559 of 8,131
(Added ZMF Verite Closed, Meze Empyrean, DCA Voce, Focal Clear, Samsung AKG EO-IG955, Samsung AKG EO-IG955 knockoff)

*=Highly recommended

Yeah, I've owned all these...

Tier 1 - Almost like the headphones aren't there
*DCA Voce
(Better ergonomics, cable, ear pads, headband, and customer service (God-tier vs. non-existent) than Stax. Also much reduced "Stax fart" compared to the 007/009. A little less treble than the 009 but with much more balanced bass performance. Similar transparency and bass impact.)
Stax SR-009 (Has increased imaging and separation over the SR-007. Dynamics seem slightly better. Unmodded has "Stax fart" similar to modded SR-007A and I assume the original MK1.)

Tier 2 - Near perfect
*Stax SR-L700MK2
(VERY similar to Focal Clear. Has slightly more mid-bass impact, midrange is not quite as thick. Instruments seem slightly more separated. Soundstage slightly wider. Very similar to SR-007. Soundstage is a little wider on the SR-007 and it has more lower bass until you do the Blu-Tack mod which evens it out.)
Stax SR-007MK2 with Blu-Tack mod (like the SR-007A but with less "Stax fart" for some reason.)
Stax SR-007A with Blu-Tack mod ("Stax fart" a little annoying.)
ZMF Verite Open (Kind of like a smoother, more musical estat with excellent bass. Pads are easy to swap and good quality. Nicely layered sound. Make sure rods are tightened or you can lose an eye.)

Tier 3 - Excellent
*Focal Clear
original, not MG (Not the widest soundstage but excellent tonality, dynamics, and extension.)
*Focal Clear Professional (Same as the OG. Not the widest soundstage but excellent tonality, dynamics, and extension.)
*ZMF Eikon (Similar to the MDR-Z1R but with more even frequency response but less bass extension. Make sure rods are tightened or you can lose an eye.)
ZMF Verite Closed (Sounds similar to the Verite Open, but with a very slight muffled closed-back sound to it. Make sure rods are tightened or you can lose an eye.)
Sony MDR-Z1R (Closed headphones with great transparency and better bass than HD800S. Amazing for a closed back. Similar to ZMF Eikon but with slight peaks in freq. response that sound a little unnatural at times and better bass extension.)
Hifiman HE1000SE (Detailed sound with good bass and transparency. Almost electrostatic-like speed. Soundstage a little narrow.)
Sennheiser HD800S (Super transparent with more bass than Stax SR Lambda Pro. Lightweight but ear pads are large and don't conform well. Great soundstage.)
Nectar Audio Hive (Similar to Stax SR-009 except is more forward sounding and not quite as "ethereal". Slightly more bass impact. Requires at least 400 V RMS energizer.)

Tier 4 - Excellent with minor imperfections, beginning of summit-fi
*Koss ESP/95X
(Very natural sounding with wide soundstage and great transparency. Mid-centric. Fantastic for easy-listening and voice. Bass and treble could use a boost. Lightweight and comfortable.)
*Sony IER-M9 (A little uncomfortable. Sounds nearly perfect if you can get the fit right. Has more lower-midbass than Z1R which increases impact.)
Meze Empyrean (Very comfortable, outside mesh not durable. A bit dark sounding and lacking detail.)
Sony IER-Z1R (A little uncomfortable. Sounds nearly perfect if you can get the fit right. Could use a little more bass impact.)
Focal Utopia (Slightly wider soundstage than the Clear. Sounds very similar. A little too thick sounding for me resulting in a "wall of sound" and less instrument separation.)
Sennheiser HD820 (Comes close to the HD800S but isn't as tonally even and soundstage is slightly smaller. Has better comfort, isolation, and bass volume though.)

Tier 5 - Great with slight annoyances
Focal Clear MG Professional
(Not quite as clear sounding as the original. Slightly warmer. Soundstage seems smaller than original.)
Hifiman Arya (A little lacking in dynamics, sounds a little flat. Soundstage could be wider.)
Campfire Andromeda (Rivals HD800S / MDR-Z1R in transparency and very even sounding. Good everything, except bass is a bit light. Sound stage is a little smaller than with over ear headphones.)
Audeze LCD-4 (Best bass, good but not great transparency, very heavy, prone to driver failures with pressure changes. Mine had a driver failure.)

Tier 6 - Very good but not quite impressive
*Sennheiser HD600
(Slightly more realistic frequency response than HD650.)
Sennheiser HD650
*Audeze Mobius
(Some of the best bass I've heard but soundstage is small.)
SendyAudio Aiva (Great build quality, looks good, good frequency response except bass extension is lacking.)
Stax SR Lambda Pro (Super transparent.)
Audeze LCD-2 closed back (Heavy, bass extension and impact are lacking, isolation is poor for a closed back.)
AKG K7XX (Great value. Elastic may go bad over time.)
Razer Opus (Very good timbre and frequency response. Treble and bass are could use more clarity.)

Tier 7 - Good, beginning of hi-fi
Samsung AKG EO-IG955
(Surprisingly competent. There are a ton of knockoffs of these which sound awful.)
Grado SR-80e with L cushions (L cusions improve sound quite a bit, kind of uncomfortable, tons of midbass, good transparency.)
qdc Neptune (Good value, sounds like the Andromeda, but a little more muffled and more bass and bass extension).
Beyerdynamic DT880 (Annoying treble peak, ~8.5 kHz.)
AKG K702 (Painful headband.)
Beyerdynamic DT990

Tier 8 - Pretty good
Denon D2000
Shure SE846
(Terrible value. Sounds similar to the IE80.)
Sennheiser IE80 (Good value, but sound a little muffled compared to higher end stuff.)
Etymotic ER4XR (Good as earplugs. Sound not very impressive.)
Sennheiser HD598 (A little muffled sounding.)
Bose Triport (Good 3D sound positioning. Lightweight. A bit muffled overall.)
Koss Porta Pro (Very light weight. Sound is good for price. Open back design.)

Tier 9 - Slightly better than decent
Westone W30
(All mid-range. Not very good for listening to music.)
Grado SR-60i (Poor fit, comfort and bass. Decent transparency. Would probably sound better with L cushions.)
KZ ZS6 (Treble is peaky.)
VJJB-V1S (Sound is very good for price.)
ViSang R02 (Sound is very good for price.)

Tier 10 - Decent
Panasonic RPHJE120S
Panasonic RP HT355

Tier 11 - Bad
Samsung AKG EO-IG955 Knockoff
(Bought for about $4 and returned it. The legit ones are about $100. Sounded like music through a tin can.)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #7,560 of 8,131
1. T+A Solitaire-P
2. Focal Utopia
3. HiFiMan Susvara
4. Abyss 1266 TC Phi
5. Focal Stellia
6. Sennheiser HD650

The solitaire P feels the most "complete" and is without a doubt the best all-rounder of all my hps. I am so glad I took the plunge on that headphone.

Rarely I see utopia ranked above abyss1266 and susvara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back