Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #6,736 of 8,134
Great write-up!!! I'm pretty much done with headphone purchases for the foreseeable future, but if any of the cans listed above has piqued my interest, it's the HP-3s. Aesthetics and construction weigh heavily in any of my purchase decisions, and these are really gorgeous (IMO).

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #6,737 of 8,134
It's been a while since I did this, and some headphones have come and gone, so I figure it's worth ranking them again.

1a. Hifiman HE-500 - My go-to for general music listening. Not a single weakness, and basically everything they do is incredible; large soundstage, smooth highs, slightly boosted, clean bass, and flat mid range. Eventually I'll start looking for a headphone to top this, but I suspect I'm going to be looking in the $2000+ range.
1. Hifiman HE-500: Also my go-to can for general music listening and my opinion of them does not deviate too much from the above other than to add speed and creamy mids to its list of attributes. Furthermore, the HE500 simply presents its sound in an exciting and pleasing manner to my ears. I am probably one of the few who finds the original headband comfy. I also started looking for a headphone to top this and auditioned the LCD-2F, LCD-4, and the Utopia side-by-side with my HE500 at the SourceAV (same amp, balanced connections). I wasn't impressed with the LCD-4's, the Utopia had better layering, and the LCD-2F bass reached deeper than every can I tried that afternoon but (to my ears) its bass is less tight than the HE500 which makes it sound like it is enveloping some of the mids and treble (just my opinion). Among the three cans I auditioned, I would rate the Utopia as the best, the LCD-2F as different (but worth considering a buy), and the LCD-4 as my least favorite. However, the HE500 can still trade punches with the Utopia, which is why I felt that the price differential between the Utopia and HE500 did not even remotely reflect the difference in sound quality between the two.

2. Sennheiser HD6XX: The king of the mids in my collection imo. My first hi-fi can. Initially, I was disappointed with its bass response but soon picked up on microdetails that I never heard before in familiar songs. Thereafter, I was addicted. Currently, I use a modded Darkvoice 336SE OTL amp to drive these cans, which is a match made in heaven. On my THX AAA 789 (balanced), the cans still retain their smooth character but they are a bit too smooth and boring when compared to its Darkvoice pairing and the HE500's.

3. AKG K501: Classical king. Yes, there's bass roll-off, and its 120ohm impedance makes it less ideal for my Darkvoice OTL amp (70-160ohm output impedance according to ASR). However, its mids and treble are spot-on for classical (the latter with sufficient air), and its soundstage makes me feel like I'm sitting in a concert hall. I still have to re-cable my pair and see whether extra juice from the THX AAA 789 balanced output would be beneficial to this can. SE is fine for these cans, but I feel that I haven't reached their potential yet.

4. Sennheiser PX-100 (v.1): My first headphone apart from whatever came stock with any audioplayer. Bass is pretty thick, the mids are fairly nice and the treble has enough presence to make these my goto cans for over 10 years, as their sound signature is enjoyable and the listening experience effortless for all music genres despite being less resolving than the other cans perched above it. Also, they're so lightweight and comfortable that I hardly notice that they're on. To this day, I still use them for gaming, movie watching, YT, and any non-critical listening. I stayed true to the original PX-100's (v.1), as the later product updates failed to woo me away from the originals.

5. Koss PortaPros: Competitor to the PX-100, but definitely more v-shaped and more bass quantity than the Sennheisers. Great for edm, some pop, and not much else since I like my mids.

6. Monoprice Modern Retros: Like strapping subwoofers to your head. Good for rap, edm, techno, dnb, and any bass-heavy tune. However, for any other genre, the above is better imo.

7. Sennheiser HD414X (2000ohm): Historical curio. Sibilant even when hooked up to my tube amp. Virtually no low end. But hey, at least it is comfortable.

8. M&J GL2: It's got wood but not much else in this dynamic/electret hybrid. Brainwavz pad swap helped the sound at the expense of comfort as the headphone is now directed downwards into the top of my skull, hello hotspot (or rather pain-spot). V-shaped and decent soundstage after the swap, but again not much else. It's now collecting dust on a yoga block.

9. 1More triple driver over-ears (graphene)
: If pain has a name, this one is it. The top of the headband creates a downward pressure on the top of my skull at a single point such that it seems that these cans are more interested in performing neurosurgery on me rather than offer any sound reproduction that is pleasant to my ears. Their sound is V-shaped and seem thin to me, the latter of which is due to the smallness of the pads that makes them essentially an on-ear can but without the construction or lateral inward pressure to produce the necessary seal. These will definitely be sold in the future.

Undecided. LCD2 rev. 1
: I just got these this week for a good price. They are okay comfort-wise, as being a swimmer has the added benefit of strong neck and upperback muscles. I've worn these and the HE500 for hours (separately of course) without feeling fatigued. As for the sound, yes they're dark. However, I was surprised that the bass extends just slightly lower than the HE500's. Then again, I only received a SE cable with my purchase, and I have a spare ratty DIY L,R mini-XLR SE cable lying around that I can reterminate with a 4-XLR adapter. So, I'll be interested in hearing whether extra juice from the balanced output of the THX AAA 789 will improve things. Otherwise, the bass of the LCD2.1 has less distortion than the HE500 (e.g. intro of Bob Marley's Concrete Jungle), mids are nice (except there's other mids I prefer), and the treble is present. Nothing to rave about other than how the bass, mids, and treble seems to be cohesive but the overall sound is veiled.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #6,738 of 8,134
1. Hifiman HE-500: Also my go-to can for general music listening and my opinion of them does not deviate too much from the above other than to add speed and creamy mids to its list of attributes. Furthermore, the HE500 simply presents its sound in such an exciting and pleasing manner to my ears. I am probably one of the few who finds the original headband comfy. I also started looking for a headphone to top this and auditioned the LCD-2F, LCD-4, and the Utopia side-by-side with my HE500 at the SourceAV (same amp, balanced connections). I wasn't impressed with the LCD-4's, the Utopia had better layering, and the LCD-2F bass reached deeper than every can I tried that afternoon but (to my ears) its bass is less tight than the HE500 which makes it sound like it is enveloping some of the mids and treble (just my opinion). Among the three cans I auditioned, I would rate the Utopia as the best, the LCD-2F as different (but worth considering a buy), and the LCD-4 as my least favorite. However, the HE500 can still trade punches with the Utopia, which is why I felt that the price differential between the Utopia and HE500 did not even remotely reflect the difference in sound quality between the two.

2. Sennheiser HD6XX: The king of the mids in my collection imo. My first hi-fi can. Initially, I was disappointed in the bass but soon picked up on microdetails of songs I never heard before. Thereafter, I was addicted. Currently, I use a modded Darkvoice 336SE OTL amp to drive these cans, a match made in heaven. On my THX AAA 789 (balanced), the cans still retain their smooth character but it is a bit too smooth and boring when compared to the HE500

3. AKG K501: Classical king. Yes, there's bass roll-off, and its 120ohm impedance makes it less ideal for my Darkvoice OTL amp (70-160ohm output impedance according to ASR). However, its mids are spot-on for classical and its soundstage makes me feel like I'm sitting in a concert hall. I still have to re-cable my pair and see whether extra juice from the THX AAA 789 balanced output would be beneficial to can. SE is fine, but I feel that they can be better.

4. Sennheiser PX-100: My first headphone from whatever came stock with any audioplayer. Bass is pretty thick, the mids are fairly nice and the treble has enough presence to these my goto cans for over 10 years due, as their sound signature presents an enjoyable and effortless listening experience for all music genres despite being less resolving than the other cans perched above it. Also, they're so lightweight and comfortable, that I hardly noticed that they're on. To this day, I still use them for gaming, movie watching, YT, and any non-critical listening. I stayed true to the original PX-100's, as the later product updates failed to woo me away from these.

5. Koss PortaPros: Competitor to the PX-100, but definitely more v-shaped and more bass quantity than the Sennheisers. Great for edm, some pop, and not much else since I like my mids.

6. Monoprice Modern Retros: Like strapping subwoofers to your head. Good for rap, edm, techno, dnb, and any bass-heavy tune. However, for any other genre, the above is better imo.

7. Sennheiser HD414X (2000ohm): Historical curio. Sibilant even when hooked up to my tube amp. Virtually no low end. At least it is comfortable.

8. M&J GL2: It got wood but not much else in this dynamic/electret hybrid. Brainwavz pad swap helped the sound at the expense of comfort as the headphone is now directed downwards into the top of my skull, hello hotspot (or rather pain-spot). V-shaped and decent soundstage after the swap, but again not much else. It's collecting dust now on a yoga block.

9. 1More triple driver over-ears (graphene)
: If pain has a name, this one is it. The top of the headband creates a downward pressure on the top of my skull at a single point such that it seems that these cans are more interested in performing neurosurgery on me rather than offer any sound reproduction that is even slightly on the pleasant side of things. V-shaped and thin sounding to me since the pads are too small to be over-ear and their on-ear design do not seal properly. These will definitely be sold in the future.

Undecided. LCD2 rev. 1
: I just got these this week for a good price. They are okay comfort-wise, as being a swimmer has the added benefit of strong neck and upperback muscles. I've worn these and the HE500 for hours (separately of course) without feeling fatigue. As for the sound, yes they're dark. However, I was surprised that the bass extends just slightly lower than the HE500's. Then again, I only received a SE cable with my purchase, and I have a spare ratty DIY L,R mini-XLR SE cable lying around that I can reterminate with a 4-XLR adapter. So, I'll be interested in hearing whether extra juice from the balanced output of the THX AAA 789 will improve things. Otherwise, the bass of the LCD2.1 has less distortion than the HE500 (e.g. intro of Bob Marley's Concrete Jungle), mids are nice (except there's other mids I prefer), and the treble is present. Nothing to rave about other than the sound seems to be all together and veiled.

Great post! I also have the 6XXs and the first thing I also noticed was hearing micro details that I'd missed before. I'm not super crazy about the overall sound sig of the 6XX and I end to gravitate to my HE-4XXs (the poor man's planars but that planar sound!) more than any of my other cans when seriously listening, just a more...delicious experience and renders piano better than the Senn 6 series IMO. And the PX-100's, the V1. Yes, altho I've modded mine with the HD414 pads and reverse quarter mod, your review reflects my feelings EXACTLY. I'm wearing them now and I seem to just pick them up when I just want to get listening.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #6,739 of 8,134
1. Hifiman HE-500: Also my go-to can for general music listening and my opinion of them does not deviate too much from the above other than to add speed and creamy mids to its list of attributes. Furthermore, the HE500 simply presents its sound in an exciting and pleasing manner to my ears. I am probably one of the few who finds the original headband comfy. I also started looking for a headphone to top this and auditioned the LCD-2F, LCD-4, and the Utopia side-by-side with my HE500 at the SourceAV (same amp, balanced connections). I wasn't impressed with the LCD-4's, the Utopia had better layering, and the LCD-2F bass reached deeper than every can I tried that afternoon but (to my ears) its bass is less tight than the HE500 which makes it sound like it is enveloping some of the mids and treble (just my opinion). Among the three cans I auditioned, I would rate the Utopia as the best, the LCD-2F as different (but worth considering a buy), and the LCD-4 as my least favorite. However, the HE500 can still trade punches with the Utopia, which is why I felt that the price differential between the Utopia and HE500 did not even remotely reflect the difference in sound quality between the two.

I actually agree with you on the headband; I don't have any comfort issues with it at all. It does a really good job of distributing the weight of the headphones evenly, which is important since they are so heavy! I actually find them to be more comfortable than my HD800, despite the HD800s weighing basically nothing.

Great write-up!!! I'm pretty much done with headphone purchases for the foreseeable future, but if any of the cans listed above has piqued my interest, it's the HP-3s. Aesthetics and construction weigh heavily in any of my purchase decisions, and these are really gorgeous (IMO).

The HP-3 is absolutely worth your consideration. The sound, of course is fantastic, but on top of that they're just a joy to handle. Right at unboxing you know they're special, as they're presented in a wooden box:
20190812_083538x8jzh.jpg

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #6,740 of 8,134
I've replaced all but my headphones and with the new source (SMSL SU-8) and amps (xDuoo TA-20/SMSL SH-8 or DIY KGSSHV) the rankings have changed
1. Stax SR-007MK2 with bluetack mod: If you own these please do yourself a favour and find some way to audition a non-stax amp. It is truely amazing with a KG based amp.
2. Focal Stellia: Easily the best closed back headphone I have ever heard. Amazing detail and speed and a look and feel to die for (imo)
3. Fostex/drop TH-X00: Replaced the cups with a deeper pair and gone are the days of unnatural highs and overbearing lows. The slam remains, these are F.U.N. recabled with a balanced UPOCC copper cable and they compete with the TH-900 (my old love).
4. Beyerdynamic DT-770: the work headphones.
5. Toneking T88K: They outperform my old ES3x customs and combined with symbio tips they block as much of the outside commute noise. Can compete for #4 depending on mood.

Ranking and comments are purely IMO and YMMV

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #6,741 of 8,134
I've replaced all but my headphones and with the new source (SMSL SU-8) and amps (xDuoo TA-20/SMSL SH-8 or DIY KGSSHV) the rankings have changed
1. Stax SR-007MK2 with bluetack mod: If you own these please do yourself a favour and find some way to audition a non-stax amp. It is truely amazing with a KG based amp.
2. Focal Stellia: Easily the best closed back headphone I have ever heard. Amazing detail and speed and a look and feel to die for (imo)
3. Fostex/drop TH-X00: Replaced the cups with a deeper pair and gone are the days of unnatural highs and overbearing lows. The slam remains, these are F.U.N. recabled with a balanced UPOCC copper cable and they compete with the TH-900 (my old love).
5. Toneking T88K: They outperform my old ES3x customs and combined with symbio tips they block as much of the outside commute noise. Can compete for #4 depending on mood.

I have had a KGSSHV but upgraded to a Paltauf Amp, which you won‘t know in US .https://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=14598 Nevertheless I prefer my 007 (MK1 (70....) and MK2) on the Little Stax SRD Xpro with sBooster power adapter. Try this, before you spend a lot of money in an expensive amp. Many of my friends did listen do this combination and couldn‘t believe how open and dynamic the 007 sounds.

Ranking my headphones is difficult for me, because it depends on music and daily taste. Somehow I love them all.
Stax 009 with Paltauf
007 MK1 with SRD-X
Mysphere with Paltauf
Stax 4070 with Paltauf
AKG K1000 with Paltauf
007MK2 modded with SRD-X
404LE with Paltauf
Sigma Pro, Lambda Signature, 300LE, 507 with Paltauf
HD600 Stephans Audio Cable, Dekoni Pads with Paltauf
Audeze XC with Paltauf
Grado GH2 with ifi iCAN pro
HD 800 modded
Ergo AMT
AKG K812
HD540

Source is always Meitner MA1 V2.

Have fun with the music!

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #6,742 of 8,134
The Fostex TH7B modified(essentially damped heavily because of the resonance of his plastic cups) exceed all my other headphones because of what it does good...For example none of my headphone touch the natural timbre of the human voice like the Akg 340 and the Stax gold, but the Fostex is near them...The soundstage of the AkG 701 is bigger than all my headphones but the Fostex is on par with the 701...The imaging of the AKG 340 is very good, Fostex is on par with them on this count but at the end better because of his superior soundstage...No headphones I owns(hifiman HE 400 Stax Lambda,and STax SR-5 Gold, AKG 701, AKG 340 does all good on all count, each has his forte and his weakness...But I dont want to listen to any other...I prefer the FOSTEX TH 7B (old semi open version, I dont know for the new closed one)… I wrote that because around 50 bucks in the used market, if you damp them, this is no more a toy but a TOTL headphone at a ridiculous price... My quest for headphones for 7 years is over...I dont want to pay more ...

P.s. I know that no audiophile will believe that...I dont believe myself for all the years I owned this headhone non modified, I does not take this Fostex seriously because of his pricing... They was good right out the box but not TOTL... I damped them because I want to experiment with them after all my other headphones has disappointed me on a count or another : confort, cabling, frequencies, timbre, imaging, soundstage, and the speaker like quality or not for an headphone, etc... Only this Fostex mark a good score on all counts...There is better than this Fostex, but I dont want to pay over 500 hundred bucks and trying some cans that will disappointed me on some count, even if they beat it on a particular count...I prefer an headphone that is good on all count, even if it is not TOTL on all count...Fostex is the way for me now...No more coming back...:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #6,743 of 8,134
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #6,744 of 8,134
I dont doubt your ears, why doubting mine? ...But myself I would have really never believe that an headphone at this price can dislodge my others more pricey one that's all... No relation with your ears...My ears are ordinary ears but no more bad than almost all reviewer here ...Listening is an art to learn by the way...

And if you read carefully I dont say that they are the best in the absolute sense of the term but that they do good on all counts and that none of my other headphones can do ...This is my point... Buy them used at 50 bucks, damp the plastic cup and thank me after that...:ksc75smile: But I see on your profile that you own many one thousand bucks cans and for you my ears is defective with these 50 bucks headphone, I can understand why...:ksc75smile:... Sorry but it is not all people who can buy that collection, I cannot...

The best headphone I ever own was the AKG 340, a little marvel they cost me 120 bucks used...The Fostex do all very good and is only second to my AKG for the natural rendering of voices but is more confortable and had a better soundstage than the 340 and his imaging is also on par with him etc......Dont be blinded or surded by the price of anything is my new motto...Or : listen to music not price or money...

And I wrote that for the poor audiophile who will never afford pricey headphones anyway... To give him hope and faith about marvellous product at very low price... You dont need hope then your free sarcasm about my ears...And if I was right about the 50 bucks Fostex that will make some shadow on your pricey collection for sure...Then I am deaf surely you think...Thanks for your kind observation about my health tough... My best to you...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #6,745 of 8,134
I dont doubt your ears, why doubting mine? ...But myself I would have really never believe that an headphone at this price can dislodge my others more pricey one that's all... No relation with your ears...My ears are ordinary ears but no more bad than almost all reviewer here ...Listening is an art to learn by the way...

And if you read carefully I dont say that they are the best in the absolute sense of the term but that they do good on all counts and that none of my other headphones can do ...This is my point... Buy them used at 50 bucks, damp the plastic cup and thank me after that...:ksc75smile: But I see on your profile that you own many one thousand bucks cans and for you my ears is defective with these 50 bucks headphone, I can understand why...:ksc75smile:... Sorry but it is not all people who can buy that collection, I cannot...

The best headphone I ever own was the AKG 340, a little marvel they cost me 120 bucks used...The Fostex do all very good and is only second to my AKG for the natural rendering of voices but is more confortable and had a better soundstage than the 340 and his imaging is also on par with him etc......Dont be blinded or surded by the price of anything is my new motto...Or : listen to music not price or money...

And I wrote that for the poor audiophile who will never afford pricey headphones anyway... To give him hope and faith about marvellous product at very low price... You dont need hope then your free sarcasm about my ears...And if I was right about the 50 bucks Fostex that will make some shadow on your pricey collection for sure...Then I am deaf surely you think...Thanks for your kind observation about my health tough... My best to you...
I think, actually no, I know you completely misinterpreted what he was saying, even though I don’t need to speak for him.
He was telling you in other words, it’s your ears, you like what you like and no one else can say otherwise. He was not sarcastic in the least and even added a smiley face to show that.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #6,746 of 8,134
I apologize humbly for my misunderstanding...And thank you for your correction...My only excuse is that I dont have English for first language but I react too swiftly sometimes...I apologize to Preachy1 ...My best to all...

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #6,747 of 8,134
Yes, Koover is correct. But no harm done! :)

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #6,748 of 8,134

Can you elaborate on the cups you are using for your Fostex TH-X00?

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #6,750 of 8,134
Headphones:

1. Koss/Massdrop 95X electrostats over ear headphones. My favorite open back
headphones. Purity exceeding any dynamic headphone I've heard.

2. Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 hybrid electret dynamic closed back headphones. Great when isolation is required - like thunder storms. Neutral balance.

3. Mitchell & Johnson GL2SE hybrid electret dynamic closed back headphones. Warmer and more forgiving than MJ2. Kind to older singers.

4. Sennheiser HD600 over ear headphones.

5. Grado 60 - original series.

IEMs:

Haven't spent as much money or time picking these. Basically only used during lunch at work. Busy environment so IEM isolation is welcome.

1. Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas. Hybrid single ba dynamic with tuning filters. Purple filters (most neutral) with 1 tiny ~2mm round foam scrap from Venture Electronics Monk +. Very slightly takes the peak out of the ba driver. Use the Atlas balanced with Pono Player and single ended with HiFiMan Mega Mini.

2. Flare Audio R2Pro. Dynamic micro driver. Most comfortable but no detachable cable. Great sounding. Need power.

3. Tin Audio T2. 10mm woofer and 6mm tweeter

4. Sony XBA-H1. Hybrid single ba dynamic. Fairly neutral but lacking in definition. Built in cable is a negative.

5. QKZ VK1. Dual driver. Very warm and smooth. 2nd to only the Flare in IEM comfort.

6. B&W C5. Worse cables I've ever used on IEMs.

Earbuds:

1. Venture Electronics Monk +. Wish I could do without isolation and wear these more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back