Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jul 23, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #6,706 of 8,136
Great question. Let me alter the question a bit to reflect overall "wearability". First a few notes on my personal preferences. I don't mind heavier cans and I lean toward tighter clamp forces. That said, here goes:

1. Focal Elegia - Perfect fit, I could wear these to bed if I didn't tend to turn from side to side! :)...

...Other than the foam attached to the Audezes, no other mods have been done. All have the stock pads.

Hmm, unexpected yet understandable based on your preferences & notes. Obviously, owning the NightHawks, and they being an identical wear to your NightOwls, I personally haven’t donned a more easily adjusting and comfortable pair of headphones to date. Interestingly, I kind of get what you mean regarding the movement but since I don’t move all that much with them on, “impractical” would be a stretch for me. They would probably still top my wearability list but...gotta love individuality. Thanks for indulging. :)

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #6,707 of 8,136
I'm fairly new at this very expensive hobby, but I'm having a blast with my new toys!

1. Focal Elegia (replaced the original cable with a Nordost Blue Heaven)-the sound is consistently fantastic throughout many music genres. My favorites!!!
2. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro-very high quality and classy headphones. I'm using the balanced pads but need to try the A pads sometime soon.
3. HiFiMan HE400i-amazing sound quality for the price. The more I listen, the more I like them.
4.Audeze iSine 20-great sound but the earclips are extremely annoying and uncomfortable
5. Sennheiser Momentum 2-an old favorite which has given me many many hours of pleasure
6. Sennheiser HD6XX-got these a few weeks ago and they have the very comfortable Sennheiser sound which I know well over the years

I'm really enjoying reading other people's choices.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #6,708 of 8,136
I'm fairly new at this very expensive hobby, but I'm having a blast with my new toys!

1. Focal Elegia (replaced the original cable with a Nordost Blue Heaven)-the sound is consistently fantastic throughout many music genres. My favorites!!!
2. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro-very high quality and classy headphones. I'm using the balanced pads but need to try the A pads sometime soon.
3. HiFiMan HE400i-amazing sound quality for the price. The more I listen, the more I like them.
4.Audeze iSine 20-great sound but the earclips are extremely annoying and uncomfortable
5. Sennheiser Momentum 2-an old favorite which has given me many many hours of pleasure
6. Sennheiser HD6XX-got these a few weeks ago and they have the very comfortable Sennheiser sound which I know well over the years

Welcome, Stoney!

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #6,709 of 8,136

Regarding your iSine 20 comment, you really need to try the new curved ear hooks Audeze offers. Much more comfortable.

Edit: welcome to HF and I won't say sorry about your wallet because you basically already mentioned it LOL.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #6,710 of 8,136
Regarding your iSine 20 comment, you really need to try the new curved ear hooks Audeze offers. Much more comfortable.

Edit: welcome to HF and I won't say sorry about your wallet because you basically already mentioned it LOL.

Thanks for the welcome. My wallet is in critical condition since I just bought a new amp/dac for my DAP so the new headphones can sound even better and I still have several new headphones I'd love to get. But that will have to wait.

I looked on Audeze's web site for the curved ear hooks you mentioned but all I saw were the same ones I already have. The earphones have a great sound for such a small piece of equipment but the fight with the earhooks every time is a test for my patience. Can you please let me know where to get the new curved ear hooks you mentioned?
Thanks

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #6,712 of 8,136
Thanks for the welcome. My wallet is in critical condition since I just bought a new amp/dac for my DAP so the new headphones can sound even better and I still have several new headphones I'd love to get. But that will have to wait.

I looked on Audeze's web site for the curved ear hooks you mentioned but all I saw were the same ones I already have. The earphones have a great sound for such a small piece of equipment but the fight with the earhooks every time is a test for my patience. Can you please let me know where to get the new curved ear hooks you mentioned?
Thanks
I emailed them about the new ear hooks a while back. Here was the reply:

Thanks for reaching out. The new curved iSINE hooks are now included in our Accessory kit here.

They're also available in sets by themselves, with two pairs of each size for $5/set.
If you'd like to purchase those, you can email the following info to Tony@audeze.com:

Full name:
Full shipping address:
Phone number:
PayPal email address:
Headphones' serial number:
Request part# EAR1044-KT

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #6,713 of 8,136
Last update for a while;

1. B&W P9 Signature,- this is my new reference headphone. I just love the sound stage and imaging accuracy of the P9 Signature, this might sound odd but I don't really consider the P9 Signature as a headphone in the same way that I consider the other's to be. To me it's more like a "speakersphone",- the sound stage and imaging capabilities generates a sense of space more akin to sitting directly in front of a pair of speakers.
2. AKG K702,- the experienced audiophile in me says "oh.. I better hold on to this one".
3. Sony MDR7510,- I use this for monitoring, mixing and mastering purposes.
4. Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm,- built like a tank, reliable sound, always there if and when I need it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #6,714 of 8,136
Latest updates:

1. Focal Clear. Used sparingly. Every time I listen to them I am amazed. Only for music.
2. Campfire Cascade. Got this recently. So much fun for some genres but not as versatile as the Clear. Has surprising clarity for a bass cannon.
3. Sony WH1000XM3. Another recent addition. Mostly used at work, the NC is magic. Sound is pretty good by EQ:ing down the bass.
4. Philips X1. My oldest pair of headphones. A workhorse that never fails. Used for movies, games, podcasts etc. Too bad the pads seem to be failing after 5-6 years.
5. Master Dynamic MW07. Decent pair of TWE. Unnatural (grainy, splashy) treble that I have to EQ down. Good for commute and workout but I kinda regret not getting some of the cheaper ones.

100. Hifiman Bolt. Ugh. Throwing these out.

I thought I was done with buying headphones after getting the Clear last year but I fear it was just wishful thinking...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #6,715 of 8,136
1. HD 820
2. HD 700
3. Edition XX
4. Elex
5. K7XX
At the moment, they're all good enough to keep. Final Pandora VI on the way!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #6,716 of 8,136
1. Koss esp 95x (upgraded pads and energizer)
2. FLC8S - red,grey,yellow
3. Hd600
4. Gr07x and Sony 755 (tie)
5. Samsung galaxy buds
6. Moondrop crescent

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #6,717 of 8,136
1. Zmf Ori, fun and natural tuning
2. AFO, relaxing and fatigue free, heckin comfortable
3. Modded T50rp, daily drivers, fun to tinker with
4. Isine10, for chores and when on the move
5. Kenwood KH-71, interesting and retro, fun to put on every once in a while

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #6,719 of 8,136
  1. Fostex T50RP w/ ZMF Sheepskin pads. I'm sending them in to get Argonified soon, but I love them.
  2. Etymotic ER4XR. Absolutely surgical and dead isolated.
  3. MEE Audio Pinnacle P1. When they work, they're brilliant, but the inconsistency is a killer
  4. Sennheiser HD700. I loved these until I got other headphones. The soundstage is phenomenal, but the sound itself isn't up to par.
  5. MEE Audio X7 Plus. I'm not a huge fan of wireless buds, but these do the job I ask of them and not much else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back