Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 2, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,696 of 8,131
  If anyone cares what I still have to say, the DT880 600ohm and K1000 seem like the real winners lately but I still really like most of the rest of my collection

I'm kind of surprised you like the DT880 since you love the Sextett. I had both at the same time and thought they couldn't be more different. The Sextett has much more soul than the really dry-sounding DT880. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4,697 of 8,131

I'm kind of surprised you like the DT880 since you love the Sextett. I had both at the same time and thought they couldn't be more different. The Sextett has much more soul than the really dry-sounding DT880. 

The sextett is great, it's what got me into music again. I think what I am looking for is more of an out-of-head experience without using speakers. From a design of a normal pair of non-angled drivers in headphones, the DT880 600ohm does it pretty well. AKGs in general seem to really do that well anyway.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #4,699 of 8,131
based on realism/accuracy + technical capability + refinement

AKG Q701
Sony MDR-605 (modded)
Audio-Technica ATH-5
Sansui SS-35
Pioneer SE-500 (modded)
AKG K812 (bad)
Sterling TE-400 (bad)
Beyer DT48 S 5 ohm 
Pioneer SE-300 (bad)
Pioneer SE-700 (horrid)

based on enjoyment

Pioneer SE-500 (bizarrely alluring and pleasant sounding)
Sansui SS-35 (not enough treble, otherwise great)
Sony MDR-605 (idk they're good but something about them is unlikable)
Beyer DT48 S 5 ohm (really finicky with sources; likes to distort and have channel imbalances out of certain gear)
AKG Q701 (upper midrange spike causes headaches)
Audio-Technica ATH-5 (Q701 + bass - soundstage width)
Pioneer SE-300 (midrange honk)
Sterling TE-400 (too much bass, unpleasant treble)
AKG K812 (worse than the Q701 in every way)
Pioneer SE-700 (ew)

most of my good stuff is currently with Tyll, I'll rerank once I get it back

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #4,700 of 8,131
  based on realism/accuracy + technical capability + refinement

AKG Q701
Sony MDR-605 (modded)
Audio-Technica ATH-5
Sansui SS-35
Pioneer SE-500 (modded)
AKG K812 (bad)
Sterling TE-400 (bad)
Beyer DT48 S 5 ohm 
Pioneer SE-300 (bad)
Pioneer SE-700 (horrid)

based on enjoyment

Pioneer SE-500 (bizarrely alluring and pleasant sounding)
Sansui SS-35 (not enough treble, otherwise great)
Sony MDR-605 (idk they're good but something about them is unlikable)
Beyer DT48 S 5 ohm (really finicky with sources; likes to distort and have channel imbalances out of certain gear)
AKG Q701 (upper midrange spike causes headaches)
Audio-Technica ATH-5 (Q701 + bass - soundstage width)
Pioneer SE-300 (midrange honk)
Sterling TE-400 (too much bass, unpleasant treble)
AKG K812 (worse than the Q701 in every way)
Pioneer SE-700 (ew)

most of my good stuff is currently with Tyll, I'll rerank once I get it back

Is the K812 really that bad? I've heard nothing but good things up until now.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #4,701 of 8,131
Originally Posted by AKGunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is the K812 really that bad? I've heard nothing but good things up until now.

It's not unpleasant to listen to, but the Q701 bests it in almost every conceivable way at under 1/7th the cost. The only thing I can really think of that the K812 does better is bass extension. It is otherwise much rougher and less refined overall.

YMMV and all that ****, though I probably shouldn't have ranked it as low as I did on the second list. It's still a relatively nice sounding headphone.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #4,705 of 8,131
1 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms (with flat-like-pancakes pads)
2 - Grado Sr125i (S-cushion)
2.5 (Lost to the Grado in Rock/Metal but kick its ass in everything else) - Takstar HI 2050 (modded)
4 - Sennheiser HD239 (astroid mod)

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4,706 of 8,131
Originally Posted by headwhacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. Hifiman HE-400i - Best all rounder. I can listen to this can for hours without getting fatigue. Very good retrieving details and presents a well balanced and neutral signature without sounding too analytical or boring. Bass sound quality is excellent. String instruments sound natural and pleasing. Very flexible and easy to drive. X5 can DX90 can drive it very well.
2. Beyerdynamic T1 - Excellent in retrieving details. Bass is very tight and well-controlled. Crystal clear mids and excellent 3D imaging. Works pretty well with O2+ODAC.
3. JH Roxanne - Headphone like soundstage. Bass presentation is similar to an LCD-2. With very natural sounding mid and highs. A very good compliment with T1. Isolation is excellent
4. Grado SR325e with tape mod - Fun, snappy sounding headphones. With the tape mod the bass hits harder. Soundstage is smaller than the T1.
5. Beyerdynamic T51p. - Natural sounding non-fatiguing phone. Perfect for long trips.
6. JH16Pro FP - Very good retrieving treble details. Bass quantity is solid. Very good for pump before starting your workout. Soundstage is very small compared to Roxanne.
7. Beyerdynamic DT250 - My reference neutral headphone.
8. Koss Porta Pro - Classic value for money. It's longevity speak for how good this phone sounds.
9. Grado SR80i - My first venture into Grado sound.
10. Beyerdynamic DT235 - Bang for a back headphone SQ-wise. Cheap build quality

Revising my list :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #4,707 of 8,131
1) Senn HD 700

2) Senn HD8 DJ

3) Senn HD 598 (first real headphones, even ranked last still luv um)

Next  Senn EI 800 (will be first in ear)

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #4,708 of 8,131
  It's not unpleasant to listen to, but the Q701 bests it in almost every conceivable way at under 1/7th the cost. The only thing I can really think of that the K812 does better is bass extension. It is otherwise much rougher and less refined overall.

YMMV and all that ****, though I probably shouldn't have ranked it as low as I did on the second list. It's still a relatively nice sounding headphone.

That's interesting because my overall experience has been the opposite, the Q701, K712, etc. were noticeably rougher, less refined, etc. compared to the K812. The K812 is oddly picky of the system though as there were some systems where my K712 was smoother and less fatiguing. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #4,709 of 8,131

That's interesting because my overall experience has been the opposite, the Q701, K712, etc. were noticeably rougher, less refined, etc. compared to the K812. The K812 is oddly picky of the system though as there were some systems where my K712 was smoother and less fatiguing. 

The K812 may have some QC problems, btw. Tyll's two pairs measured quite differently and a couple highly regarded users (like MuppetFace) love their K812s. I am listening to the same unit Tyll measured here, which has measurably higher upper range distortion as well as peakier/rougher treble than the Q701 that he measured. I'd like it if MF could send her unit in, so we could see for sure, but she doesn't seem too keen on that...

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,710 of 8,131
The K812 may have some QC problems, btw. Tyll's two pairs measured quite differently and a couple highly regarded users like MuppetFace) love their K812s. I am listening to the same unit Tyll measured here, which has measurably higher distortion as well as peakier/rougher treble than the Q701 that he measured.

It likely does have some quality check issues. The unit your listening to could be a somewhat bad one. Sounds like there is at least some variation going on. The unit I heard I found just as refined if not very slightly more refined than the HD 800 I heard. It's also an AKG which are notoriously picky and sensitive of the system so the problem can also be synergy related as well. The K812 was one of the pickiest headphones I have ever come across in terms of the system and source, I found it pickier than the HD 800, though not quite as picky as the K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back